General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Travel Trailer/Camper

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Camping in the southwest

I have over 50 yrs of camping experience in USA, Canada, and Europe. I now live in New Mexico, but travel a lot in the southwest.

Camping in this part of the country can be very cheap. In NM, many campsites with water only are $15. More if you want electric. But there are good bathroom facilities included. In other states in the SW, there are lots of places where camping can be free....in the desert. It is best to have some kind of camper, however...up off the ground.

Throughout the '60's and early '70's I pulled a 1200 lb popup with a VW bug...only 1200 cc's. We went all over......to Maine, SE states, and all of eastern Canada. We only needed a bigger car once we headed west and tried camping in the Rockies.

When pulling a trailer with any car....be careful. If you exceed the weight limit that your car has specs for.......your insurance company will pull the plug if you have an accident.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
I towed a Yamaha Apex snowmobile (around 900 lbs incl trailer) all over the upper midwest with my 07 Fit for 2 winters......worked fine no issues!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm not interested in pulling a camper, but I am interested in pulling a little utility trailer for various things too big to fit in the car. Where might I go to find a trailer hitch?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by watermantra
I'm not interested in pulling a camper, but I am interested in pulling a little utility trailer for various things too big to fit in the car. Where might I go to find a trailer hitch?
I've purchased from http://www.etrailer.com/ 4 times,
Always good service and they have discounts periodically

Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks Tork!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up the above camper in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. Spent a couple of days camping in central Illinois, Then drove to eastern Michigan (unpaved roads?) camped a night there. Crossed into Ontario via Port Huron, drove to Niagara Falls CAN, and spent 3 nights camping there. Then home to Oswego NY.

No problems towing at all. MPG were down to the high 20's

Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Towing can void your warranty:

Got a 2009 Honda Fit, Sport or otherwise? Want to tow with it?
Don't.
Here is what the 2009 Honda Fit owner's manual has to say about that: "Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties."

Source (more to read at Edmunds):
Long-Term Road Tests

------

While the Fit can seemingly do a little bit of everything, this is one of the things it's not set up for.

Be sure to read the comments section too. Many possibly valid issues are brought up. For instance, showing up at the dealer for just regular repair or oil change and they see that tow hitch, could they void your warranty on the spot?

I mean, if the Fit is not set up to tow, and you install a hitch, it's not a decoration. It's to tow something. If you tow something, you can void your warranty.

Even if it's pretty much the same car as being approved for towing in other countries.

It's kind of like other laws, like speed limits. Or drinking ages/laws. Seems arbitrary sometimes. Some people shouldn't be on the road (yet/still), no matter what laws are in place. They just suck at driving.

And vast numbers of people are without any sense at all. One person might pull a feather-weight trailer with brakes, and a virtually non-existent load in their car, on a completely flat route with a low speed limit and few dangers on the road.

And some moron will take that as the go-ahead for pulling a far-too-heavy camper, with a massive load of gear in the camper and four people and all their stuff on a hilly route with frequent stops, blind corners, varying speed limits, school pedestrian crossings, etc.

Justifying it by saying "Yeah, I saw some other guy do it". No...that's not fully true. Something was seen, but the details were not known. And it's the details, all of them, that make the difference between a safe tow and creating danger for everyone else on the road with you.

Seen the picture of Vinn's former car in his sig? That's what happens to the car in front of you when you can't stop in time.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...tml#post761433

Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Camper

Originally Posted by 5thstreet
Picked up the above camper in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. Spent a couple of days camping in central Illinois, Then drove to eastern Michigan (unpaved roads?) camped a night there. Crossed into Ontario via Port Huron, drove to Niagara Falls CAN, and spent 3 nights camping there. Then home to Oswego NY.

No problems towing at all. MPG were down to the high 20's
Hi there,

I can't see the pic of your camper. Do you have one? What would you say the weight is?

Thanks!