General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Has anyone ever purchased through Costco Auto Program

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Has anyone ever purchased through Costco Auto Program

I called Costco.com today to ask about buying the Honda Fit through the Costco Auto Program. They said sure, no problem, as soon as the car is officially released and has been on the lots for two weeks.

I have heard buying through Costco gets you about $600 to $800 dollars below MSRP, depending on the model.

Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with buying that way? They also arrange financing for 5.25% auto loans. Is that good?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:14 AM
The URL of Costco Auto Program is...

http://www.costcoauto.com/

Old 03-13-2006, 06:14 AM
Question

The state attny general of Michigan was investigating Sam's Club auto discount purchase program for price fixing some time ago and settled out of court

Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Costco Auto Program

Originally Posted by dkent49
I called Costco.com today to ask about buying the Honda Fit through the Costco Auto Program. They said sure, no problem, as soon as the car is officially released and has been on the lots for two weeks.

I have heard buying through Costco gets you about $600 to $800 dollars below MSRP, depending on the model.

Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with buying that way? They also arrange financing for 5.25% auto loans. Is that good?
You can get 4.99% financing through Honda according to their website.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:41 PM
This is a St. Patricks Holiday promotion that will only be offered through the end of March from Honda. It is good only on in stock models at the dealership.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dkent49
I would think that you could do better than that on your own. You'll probably have to be a hardass to do it but you probably could beat costco's program price.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 PM
wow..2 middlemen no thanks..Do it on your own and save money

Old 03-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Haven't used them, but picked up the brochure today. In general, though, I think Halo's comment is pertinent ("2 middlemen"). There is only "so much" concession that can be squeezed out of a deal. Costco, and all of the other various affinity marketing programs, simply deliver buyer prospects to a fleet manager / internet sales manager person. When I've used similar services the best deals offered me weren't as good as ones I'd already negotiated.

Maybe Costco has more clout in your Seattle area. Here in the LA area there are so many dealers, and I got my best Acura deal simply by grinding on the closest half dozen stores.

If you're one of those "no haggle buyers" or have very limited time (or low tolerance for the process) Costco's service has gotta be better than just wandering into a dealership and laying down. *smile* Honda will most likely let good press and low initial inventories allow dealers to sell high for the debut period. Good luck / stay strong!

Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Here is a handy diy on buying your car..

1) go to www.edmunds.com and print out invoice price when it becomes available.
2) Take print out to dealer
3) Ask for sales manager
4) Show him the print out and offer the invoice price..NOT A SINGLE PENNY MORE..Including "documentation" fees..This is a BS charge. You only have to pay invoice +tax and license. No other fees, period.

Also very important and added leverage for a buyer is one who finances! I don't care if you have a billion dollars you want to finance..Why? Because Honda makes money from finance and apr's and everyone knows it..So use it to your advantage..Finance then pay off early, there is no penalty for paying early and boosts your FICO score in the process..Dealer is thinking "Cool this guy is only putting $5K down and financing $10K for 60 months at x.x apr..I usually get the best price with the lowest possible down payment for the longest period of time, and then pay off 2 months after purchase

Every time I buy a car I am in and out under an hour. You have to conduct yourself like you own the place and are wise to the tricks..Most important...."IF YOU DON'T LIKE A DEAL GET UP AND WALK AWAY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Halo; 03-13-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
What about freight + PDI?

Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes you can use a car broker, especially if you belong to a credit union. They can get a good price for you, but you'll finance thru the credit union.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Halo
I usually get the best price with the lowest possible down payment for the longest period of time, and then pay off 2 months after purchase
I can only dream of being able to pay for a car 2 months after purchase.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by SBC31
I can only dream of being able to pay for a car 2 months after purchase.
Same here. I blame my high school guidance councillor.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
^^^roflmao!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 AM
FYI- The "desitnation" charge is all part of the "holdback" the dealer recieves when you buy a new car.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Is it a good idea to buy from the sales manager? Aren't they sallery and don't get commision like the floor sales person?

Thanks for all the good advise so far.

Nissan GOD

Old 03-14-2006, 12:36 PM
The sales manager is the go to guy because he has authority to set the final selling price..Also the sales manager bears the full responsibilty of meeting the sales quota every month and takes the heat if the quote isn't met. The guy on the floor takes your offer to the manager anyway so why not just deal with the guy who calls the shots to begin with? Car dealers are most hungry in December because their first priority is to move old stock to make room for the new model year.. Typically you will pay the most for your car during the summer months..When I bought my 2003 Miata I bought it during the coldest winter on record for the east coast when nobody was thinking about convertbles, end result is they basically gave me the car

Old 03-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I takes long enough standing in a line of 30+ people just to save a few bux on a 24 pack of toilet paper, I can't imagine buying a car. All the people behind you in line "Move it you Anchor!, wait he's buying a freakin car! OMG! Damit he's getting out the check book! JUST KILL ME NOW!."

Nissan GOD

Old 04-03-2006, 02:28 AM
The fleet manager or internet manager are really good go-to guys for buying a car, too. Basically the same deal. Fleet managers just care about moving units, not making millions per car.

Doc fees are super lame.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Destination charges are for shipping the vehicle to the actual dealers. It is broken out on the MSRP label by law and has nothing to do with any holdback.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever purchased through Costco Auto Program