General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel injector cleaner, who uses it?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Fuel injector cleaner, who uses it?

Does anyone actually use this stuff? Ive used it before on others car but havent really noticed a difference. Is there any negatives from this? Has anyone noticed any increase/decrease in fuel economy or performance? Im at about 8,500 and might pick up a bottle while doing my next oil change. Im sure I can find tons of info on google but just wanted to see what my fellow fitfreakers have to say.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 PM
8,500 miles? Your wasting your money on this, dont bother.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
If you buy cheap gas you should run fuel injector cleaner through your car occasionally. If you buy high quality gas you probably don't have to bother.

Please don't confuse 'quality' with 'octane'. If you buy cheap high octane gas (which the car does not need and is a complete waste of money) my recommendation is to use fuel injector cleaner occasionally.

As fuel injector cleaners go, I like Techron very much.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I always try to use chevron or shell. Guess ill pass on the fuel injector cleaner. Thanks

Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
By all means do; Chevron gas has Techron in it!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I run fuel injector cleaner every other oil change, and a lil splash of marvel mystery oil in the fuel and in the oil every oil change, and my MPGs keep going up the higher the mileage of the car is. No engine mods other than enlarged opening on OEM airbox, and my fuel mileage has gone up 6mpg over when it was brand new, and my last oil change was the first change to synthetic, which helped for about 1mpg.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
We don't have Chevron here. I usually put in a bottle of Techron concentrate just before an oil change.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Does anyone actually use this stuff? Ive used it before on others car but havent really noticed a difference. Is there any negatives from this? Has anyone noticed any increase/decrease in fuel economy or performance? Im at about 8,500 and might pick up a bottle while doing my next oil change. Im sure I can find tons of info on google but just wanted to see what my fellow fitfreakers have to say.

Yes. The gasoline you get at stations has a fair amount of dirt in it and we find that a can of FI cleaner without alcohol once a month does an excellent job of keeping injectors from dirtying up. Helps mpg as well.
WallyWorld also sells an equivalent private brand injector cleaner for half the price. from ingredients I'd say same stuff. Lot like the old 'pay me now or pay me later' ads for changing oil filters every oil change.

Last edited by mahout; 08-04-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I use it in my higher mileage cars. Chevron Techtron or Lucas are both good. I've never had an injector issue and I feel it's worth the $20 a year for it.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
I use he old stand bys from a bygone era. Berryman's B-12 and Marvel Mystery Oil with a little high dollar octane booster. During the winter months I add Lucas Fuel conditioner. I didn't add any thing last fill up and my car is showing signs of withdrawal symptoms.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Berryman B-12 is a VERY effective cleaner. It's a mix of toluene, acetone, and a bit of alcohol (i think ethanol but not sure) along with a few other choice chemicals. It is very good for combustion chamber cleaning via the spark plug holes as well. Gumout Regane and a few other cleaners use polyether amine, which is reputed to be very good, as well. If you are just looking for cleaning, those would be my vote getters. If you are looking for added lubricity for the sake of the valve train, MMO and Lucas are the most widely used in the gas.

As for MMO in the oil, I've never really seen it do much. Auto-rx did an outstanding job of cleaning up one of my past car's engines. I intend to start running maintenance doses of 3 ounces per change after I dump the initial fill. I can't really see how these engines are going to need a WHOLE lot of cleaning, though. The few UOAs I've seen show them to be low-wearing and gentle on oil.

I'd be careful with excessive use of fuel injector cleaners just for the sake of using them. Maybe once or twice a year depending on mileage? I've seen a few folks show upticks in wear on their UOAs from them. As a precaution, a lot of folks run them on what they forsee as their last tank before an oil change.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I use it once a month on all our vehicles.One WallyWEorld cheapo bottle no alcohol per tankful. We've seen enough cars with caked injectors to say thats great insurance at a buck or so per month. And never had trouble in over one million miles.
We include it in oil changes for customers and always to go on track.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Don't think with under 10k miles it'll do much, but like they said, cheap gas can kill your injectors. I have over 40k miles on my Yaris, and will be Sea Foaming it this month before my next oil change. I'm a hypermiler, so I'm sure I have some carbon build up from driving slower than a granny. hahahaha. If you haven't heard of Sea Foam, you should google it. I heard it's some good stuff.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM
i've used chevron techron fuel injector cleaner twice.......car has over 61,000 miles....

Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
i've used chevron techron fuel injector cleaner twice.......car has over 61,000 miles....
Damn, you drive a lot. I'm assuming your Fit is an '07? I only use Chevron gas, and 91 octane once a month, but I still think I may have some carbon buildup. What do you think?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna
Damn, you drive a lot. I'm assuming your Fit is an '07? I only use Chevron gas, and 91 octane once a month, but I still think I may have some carbon buildup. What do you think?
if you're using a higher octane gas in an engine not designed for it, wouldn't you have more carbon buildup??

EDIT: Durr, looks like you don't drive a Fit. Makes sense now, my bad. :]

Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
dont waste your money

Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
I use Lucas fuel conditioner and a little shot of Berryman's B12 because my car doesn't get driven for long periods of time..... The owners manual does not recommend using 87 octane fuel but warns not to use fuel with less octane than 87... I didn't dope my fuel knowing that I would be using my car more than usual recently and for the first time since I purchased it I detected what sounded like pinging when I was accelerating at about 4000 RPM..... It surprised me because the temperature that day was around 30 degrees and I always use premium fuel.... I suppose it was the strong head wind that caused it but the ECU cut back the timing and it didn't happen again.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM
BG makes excellent products all around, there fuel system cleaner is called '44K', and it works great. BG is the products almost all dealerships use, and you can usually get them to sell to you, they are pricey though.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
I've been using Restore fuel system restorer every 6K miles. Restore USA - Fuel System Restorer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner, who uses it?