General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Long (!) review of automatic vs. manual Fit Sport (US)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Quick question on the Auto Sport model. I have noticed when driving out of car parks etc going up ramps, in D mode the Jazz rolls backwards when I take my foot off the gas. I have not experienced this with my previous VWs. Is this the same for other Jazz owners? Thanks.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Moog
Quick question on the Auto Sport model. I have noticed when driving out of car parks etc going up ramps, in D mode the Jazz rolls backwards when I take my foot off the gas. I have not experienced this with my previous VWs. Is this the same for other Jazz owners? Thanks.

Same thing w/ all auto tranny Honda. My 2004 Civic, my sister 2004 Civic,
my parents Accord and my CR-V do that... So I think it's normal.

Philippe

Old 05-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Hmm..good question...i was thinking the same thing...For some reason I thought that all the new 5Speed A/T's have grade logic from Honda...so that's kinda weird...maybe the Fit
isn't equipped with it? That can only be my reasonable guess, since the review said that it had trouble finding gears...?

What country are you in again? lol sorry i had to ask since there's no sub forums like FIT-USDM and Fit AUS etc hehe

Old 05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Thumbs up Reply

Wessy,

Thanks for the feedback! I am that salesperson that let you take the car out that day. I will be sure to pass this info. along to any customers that would like a good evaluation! Thanks again!

Hondaseller.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Engine Braking with the Automatic Tranny

In my RX-8 I have been downshifting with the paddles to use engine braking in lieu of hitting the brakes for the last three years. The same can be done with the automatic transmission in the Fit Sport model with paddle shifters. In Drive you hit the downshift paddle when approaching a stoplight or other need for slowing down. You don't have to be in the Sport mode to downshift and ustilize engine braking.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Squid
My first experiment with "paddle only" driving has yielded a disappointing 25.9 mpg. Granted, that's only a 1/2 tank measurement. I'll experiment more later.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...?t=3990&page=2

When I moved to CA from FL, I went from getting 26 mpg in my '03 Solara to 18 mpg. My Odyssey went from 22 to 16. At first I thought the fuel was treated with something special in CA that hurts gas mileage, but then I realized...Florida's flat, San Diego (at least the area where I live and work) is very hilly. Maybe the terrain is affecting my mpg in the Fit, too.

It is a lot more fun driving by paddle, though.
Using the Sport mode with the paddles will likely result in lower gas mileage than similar driving in the Drive mode. The reason is very simple. The Sport mode only has four speeds (gears?) while the Drive mode uses all five speeds in the transmission. The fifth gear is like an overdrive and will produce better gas mileage in conditions that allow the Fit to upshift into fifth gear. With the Sport model you can also use the paddle shifter to get into a lower gear while in Drive mode and not have to tromp on the gas pedal to get some power.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Thumbs up Thanks again, Hondaseller

Originally Posted by hondaseller
Wessy,

Thanks for the feedback! I am that salesperson that let you take the car out that day. I will be sure to pass this info. along to any customers that would like a good evaluation! Thanks again!

Hondaseller.
Hey there, Hondaseller! Thanks again for the very generous test drives and for treating my friend and I so well during our visit and in the couple weeks since!

(Yes, it turns out that Hondaseller really is the salesperson at my local dealer -- I just talked with him a couple hours ago. )

While I'm still deciding about having a Fit of my own, I can tell y'all that Hondaseller is a class act; if you're looking for a superior salesperson in the Salt Lake City area who'll be sure to treat you right, drop me an email and I'll send you his way.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:31 PM
awesome review. i found it extremely useful and glad to be purchasing the automatic. lol.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 PM
holy crap 25.9mpg? lol

I think that's enuff to change my mind again into getting a M/T wth...

Old 05-15-2006, 01:20 PM
How's noise/comfort @3500 rpm?

I've been debating a MT vs. AT sport - nice comparison here! My last 6 cars have been MT. Like some of the other old school MT folks seem to be here, I'm a bit skeptical that an AT can really perform as well as an MT (though they are getting better). Sure wish I could drive a pair....

The only thing that's holding me back is the high rpms of the manual. Can anyone with a MT clue me in on how significant noise difference is between 2900 and 3500 rpm (70 mph rpms for AT vs MT). Also any more performance perceptions between the two would be nice (can an AT REALLY feel faster than an MT???)

Thanks!

ps - I didn't see this mentioned here before - the 4th gear AT ration is virtually identical to the 5th gear ratio on the MT per the brochure...

Old 05-15-2006, 02:13 PM
all my cars have been stick shift as long as I can remember, So, I'm also skeptical about an automatic being faster and better than a manual...however...look at porsche's AT. So...It's possible. bah...such a tough decision! jasdlkfjsad;

Old 05-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm guessing the manual is faster. Anybody got a stopwatch handy?

My guess is that the manual is actually quicker than the automatic, and that the automatic only felt like it was faster from a standing start due to the substantial throttle tip-in it delivers off the line. More than anything, I think, it was the initial impression of instant speed compared to the manual that made it feel peppier to me. Keep in mind, though, that I didn't rev the engine in the manual version very high when I test drove it not only because it was brand new and I didn't want to abuse it, but also because I'm a fairly conservative driver and I wanted to see what the manual felt like while driving it in the easy manner I would every day if I owned it.

The impressions of the two models that I've shared here are, for sure, very subjective, and not at all scientific. Once a couple car reviewers do some instrumented testing on both the manual and automatic Fits, then we'll know for sure -- and when that happens, I'm guessing, along with some of you, that the manual will show itself to be the quicker of the two, my seat-of-the-pants impression of the automatic's liveliness notwithstanding.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by RedAndy
I've been debating a MT vs. AT sport - nice comparison here! My last 6 cars have been MT. Like some of the other old school MT folks seem to be here, I'm a bit skeptical that an AT can really perform as well as an MT (though they are getting better). Sure wish I could drive a pair....

The only thing that's holding me back is the high rpms of the manual. Can anyone with a MT clue me in on how significant noise difference is between 2900 and 3500 rpm (70 mph rpms for AT vs MT). Also any more performance perceptions between the two would be nice (can an AT REALLY feel faster than an MT???)

Thanks!

ps - I didn't see this mentioned here before - the 4th gear AT ration is virtually identical to the 5th gear ratio on the MT per the brochure...
I have the M/T sport at 70mph your running about 3400rpm, but the motor is very quiet and smooth, the guys I carpool with all commented on how quiet the motor is on the highway and how well the car rides and takes the corners.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm surprised it's even an issue (for me)

Originally Posted by Wessy
My guess is that the manual is actually quicker than the automatic, and that the automatic only felt like it was faster from a standing start due to the substantial throttle tip-in it delivers off the line. More than anything, I think, it was the initial impression of instant speed compared to the manual that made it feel peppier to me. Keep in mind, though, that I didn't rev the engine in the manual version very high when I test drove it not only because it was brand new and I didn't want to abuse it, but also because I'm a fairly conservative driver and I wanted to see what the manual felt like while driving it in the easy manner I would every day if I owned it.
Thanks Wessy - It's saying something that I'm even considering the AT - they've apparently gotten MUCH better over the last few years to even be even remotely comparable as you and other reviews indicate. I was really surprised to see the EPA mileage numbers so close (and the Civic AT actually getting better mileage than the MT! ) All things being equal, I'd rather have the manual for whatever performance advantage still is in them, since shifting is so second nature to me. But with the gearing being as different as it is, I didn't want to be in a buzzmobile on my next cross country trip, and I normally drive pretty sanely too.....
Still on the fence, but I hope to decide soon - thanks again for your input - I wish I had the same demo opportunity you did....

Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by kingdlx
I have the M/T sport at 70mph your running about 3400rpm, but the motor is very quiet and smooth, the guys I carpool with all commented on how quiet the motor is on the highway and how well the car rides and takes the corners.
Ooooo... That may just do it for me. If the RPM's aren't intrusive at cruising speed and the mileage is still good, I'm leaning towards the MT.
I rarely go over 70 (ish )
Thanks!

Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom
Using the Sport mode with the paddles will likely result in lower gas mileage than similar driving in the Drive mode. The reason is very simple. The Sport mode only has four speeds (gears?) while the Drive mode uses all five speeds in the transmission. The fifth gear is like an overdrive and will produce better gas mileage in conditions that allow the Fit to upshift into fifth gear. With the Sport model you can also use the paddle shifter to get into a lower gear while in Drive mode and not have to tromp on the gas pedal to get some power.
oh i thought that S stands for Second (says on the manual)....so S means Sports mode?....i do feel a very good acceleration when i set my stick to S and using the CVT thumb shift....ours here have 7 speed mode...

Old 05-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by jazz_honda
oh i thought that S stands for Second (says on the manual)....so S means Sports mode?....i do feel a very good acceleration when i set my stick to S and using the CVT thumb shift....ours here have 7 speed mode...
If you have the CVT, your acceleration should be better left in the D mode. Simulating discrete gears may "feel" more peppy, but in reality the constant acceleration with the CVT should win out.

Basically, when simulating discrete gears, you will go through the power band of the engine as the rpms vary (when the rpms get high enough, you lose power, thus you have to shift gears to bring the rpm back down). Whereas in the CVT mode, you're constantly at the peak of your engine's powerband, thus you are always stuck at a certain rpm that generates peak power.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
dancing sun ...when u say discrete gears...u mean lower gears?

i agree when i hit the 100 kph with the stick set to S plus m using the thumb shift...i feel a lose of power....compared to the stick set to D...

Old 05-23-2006, 04:15 AM
Good job Wessy. If you ever own one, (and for everybody who does) for additional MPG, try using Mobil One (+2 Mpg @ $22.00) and Nitrogen fill the tires (+1.5 @$45 (dealer)) Got those numbers on my 98/4 cyl Camry and 01/
V6 Tundra. Mobil One stays slick,never breaks down, always protecting. A must for you high rever's, and the Nitrogen doesn't fluctuate with the temp,helps the tires last 15% longer, by always being perfectly inflated, and more MPG.(Dealer said 3-4, but I doubt that) I got 1.5
Love those paddle shifters! SWEET!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 AM
I always heard the Nitrogen thing was a myth about better mpg. I do agree with Mobil 1 though.

Quick Reply: Long (!) review of automatic vs. manual Fit Sport (US)