General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Total miles on 1 tank, not gallons, just miles

Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I just dont understand how people are getting around 450... I get about 300 most of the times, and I consider that I drive normal.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
I suspect your idea of driving normal is pretty far from driving like you want a long run tank. But, A simple way to extend the duration is to fill the tank to the top. The FIT tank will take almost +2 gal after the auto shut off if you pump it in dead slow. If the pump can't do dead slow do it in gulps. I just clocked 300 mile at 1/2 tank indication with some A/C use and moderate Hypermilling but started with an extra gal of so on that fill.
have fun

Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I suspect your idea of driving normal is pretty far from driving like you want a long run tank. But, A simple way to extend the duration is to fill the tank to the top. The FIT tank will take almost +2 gal after the auto shut off if you pump it in dead slow. If the pump can't do dead slow do it in gulps. I just clocked 300 mile at 1/2 tank indication with some A/C use and moderate Hypermilling but started with an extra gal of so on that fill.
have fun
Is your fit a manual transmission?
So pretty much you pump around 12 Gallons of gas per tank?
What is your average MPG?

Thanks for your explanation

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Typing on my phone in this forum sucks, it keeps logging me out

Anyway im just under a half tank and im at 325. Accounting for the wine glass shape of the tank I'd like to hit 450 on this one.

I drive economically. I'm still learning but it seems it's mostly about knowing when to bleed off speed and when to accelerate. I do draft and pulse and glide from time to time.

I picked up a scangauge which has been improving my driving habits. This tank is at 46 mpg, while since i installed the sg each trip has been at or over 50 mpg. Im overjoyed with that. My driving spanns from queens all he way out to the hamptons.

It can be done without being a nusance or a danger, just be smart!

Oh, i have the 5 speed manual. I'll report back in a few days about total tank distance when I fill up!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM
I think the furthest I went on 1 tank was 360 miles or so but filled up before the fuel light, so I think I could have gotten pretty close to 400.

If you drive normal you won't see the distances some of these guys are seeing. Especially if you're in the L.A. area I know what normal is there.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Im sure its been stated millions of times on this forum, but "normal" is subjective. I learned to drive with a gentle foot and so i only need to make very minor adjustments to get the results ive gotten.

Drive like a brute and youre going to get poor gas mileage. Delude yourself into thinking the way you drive is "normal" when considering everyone else on earth, and you're going to keep getting poor mileage out of fear of changing your habits!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
I get like 300 miles average with mix city and highway driving..... but I'm also punching it all the time =)

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
I never get under 280 miles per tank.

For me, that is topping it completely off, and going to below 1/4

I rarely have the fuel light on. Only time I saw the light frequently was my long trips over the holidays when I was more concerned getting to my destination faster. By going til the light came on, I probably saved myself from stopping once or twice on a oneway trip of over 1200 miles

I have not recently tried this (full tank use), but I do average over 28mpg even with the AC running 100% of the time. Damn Texas heat!

Ill do it this next tank. Finally getting close to 1/4 tanke once again. I seem to fill up twice a month

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I think on my last trip I got to approximately 330 miles when my warning light came on then continue for approximately another 10 miles to find a station to fill up. I think I ended up putting around 9 gallons in to fill it up again. First time I had the light come on was not sure what the reserve is at that point but did not want to chance it.

Last edited by cjecpa; 07-31-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM
sws
I had a fun experience. I had to drive from Parker, CO to Vail CO. Just after I left Parker, I got a call that my meeting had been delayed 45 min. I immediately slowed to 55 mph. 262 miles later I had completed the round trip at 55mph. No traffic and right lane on I70. My computer said 55 MPG. I did not believe until a few days later as the odometer rolled passed 500 mi since my last fillup. I ended the tank somewhere in the high 40s MPG. Now I had a mission. I did the whole next tank under 55mph with another Vail trip. 562 miles and 52 MPG when all was said and done. I love my Fit

Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 AM
I dunno man I don't see 50 or over. Maybe if you had a negative change in elevation of a hell of a tail wind. I got 42 mpg from San Jose to Santa Barbara and was f'ing stoked. I thought was going to save 1/3 on gas compared to my old car, a 2000 i30, after 5 months of ownership it's closer to half.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
...I installed a super charger and am trying to develop a lighter right foot....
I don't think installing a supercharger is the best was to develop a light foot....

Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM
sws
562 miles on one tank.

I have heard that an engine runs most efficiently when under a pretty good load. Usually, that comes with the price of high RPM and lots of wind drag. On my trip from Parker, CO to Vail and back, the engine was working at lifting the car and me from 6000 ft to 11,158 and then from 8500 to 10,600. That was done at 55 MPH and 5th gear. High engine load, low RPM, low speed so low drag. Add to that thin air so low drag again. Then the payoff comes coasting down the hills. 4th or 5th gear so 0 fuel flow. There is one 16mile section when eastbound from the Eisenhower Tunnel to Georgetown where in neutral the speed just varies between 60 and 75 the whole way. For this tank, I filled up before and after at the same gas station. After the mountain round trip I really babied it on rural roads for the last 300 miles. Probably would go crazy driving that way all the time but it can be done.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
The FIT tank will take almost +2 gal after the auto shut off if you pump it in dead slow. If the pump can't do dead slow do it in gulps.
What he said. I call it "hyperfilling". I always, always, add 2 more gallons after the pump clicks off. It takes a little while, but it means an extra 80-ish miles before I have to stop for gas again, which makes it time well spent.

It's possible to add *more than* 2 additional gallons; I just stop there to be consistent from one tankful to the next. If maximum miles per tankful is your goal, keep dribbling it in until you see it coming up the filler neck.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I think the furthest I went on 1 tank was 360 miles or so but filled up before the fuel light, so I think I could have gotten pretty close to 400.

If you drive normal you won't see the distances some of these guys are seeing. Especially if you're in the L.A. area I know what normal is there.
You got me on this one... I do my commute in the border of OC and LA county in the 5 freeway... Its a parking lot

I think I will never see the numbers these guys are achieving

Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I never ever ever go past first click. It clicks for a damn REASON....
I just wanted to bring this point back up since so many people seem to overfill their tanks. Per the owners manual (P. 188)

"The filler nozzle automatically stops to leave space in the fuel tank so that fuel does not overflow as a result of changes in air temperature.

If the filler nozzle keeps turning off when the tank is not full, there maybe a problem with the pump's fuel vapor recovery system. Try filling at another pump. If this does not fix the problem consult the dealer.

Do not continue to add fuel after the nozzle has automatically stopped. Addition fuel can exceed the fuel tank capacity."

The manual also states that the tank's capacity is 10.6 US gallons. Now I never have worked around a Fit's fuel tank but it's 10.6 because the above point, as well as the evap system reclaiming fuel and returning it to the tank.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Just filled up. Drove with the light on for the second half of my commute home and a couple errands tonight before filling. Once again (as always) filled to first click.

459.8 miles.

Put 9.574 gallons of regular unleaded in the tank and paid $37.71. Same pump I went to last time. (Gulf station)

Only my second fill up. Have I mentioned How much I love this car?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:17 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DavefromCA
I just wanted to bring this point back up since so many people seem to overfill their tanks. Per the owners manual (P. 188) [snip the rest of the manual quote]

The manual also states that the tank's capacity is 10.6 US gallons. Now I never have worked around a Fit's fuel tank but it's 10.6 because the above point, as well as the evap system reclaiming fuel and returning it to the tank.
Normally I would totally agree with you; I'm pretty conservative when it comes to my cars and their care. But the Fit's configuration is a bit different than other cars. The fuel tank is under the driver/passenger seats in the center of the car, and the filler pipe goes down and then back up again to get there. The tank itself truly holds more than the stated capacity, but because of the convoluted access, it takes a bit of work to truly "fill" it. There's nothing wrong with following the manual instructions, but there is also no harm -- in this case -- in continuing to add fuel, slowly, after the pump kicks off. There really is room. I have pumped 12 gallons of gas in the car on several occasions when I let the tank get very low.

I've been "overfilling" my Fit, with 2 extra gallons each fillup, since 2008. That's 90,000 miles and over 200 fillups. A quick calculation shows that those 2 extra gallons have cumulatively saved me from stopping an additional 40 times! I have done no damage to the car, the evaporative recovery system, or any other system. None. Zero.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Total in town, stop and go driving = 200 miles to the low fuel light.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
6,719 miles. Not a single gas station stop between Tokyo and Boston!!! :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Total miles on 1 tank, not gallons, just miles