General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

stealth windshield crack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
stealth windshield crack?

i notice what appears to be a crack in my windshield, but only when the sun hits the glass at a very particular angle (directly above and slightly behind the car). when the sun is in that position, there appears to be a horizontal crack running along the center (more or less) of the windshield, perhaps 2 inches long.

but when the sun is at any other angle (which it is 95% of the time), there is no visible sign of a crack. 100% zero. the glass looks perfect to the eye and to the touch. completely flawless.

so is there a crack?
or isnt there a crack?
has anybody experienced anything like this?

i was going to take it to safelite today but the sun isnt out, so they wouldnt be able to see the defect.

i first noticed it maybe 4 months ago. i think it's unchanged during that time.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Sit in the car in your usual driving position, and have an assistant shine a bright light down from the specified angle. You'll probably see the crack, or scratch, or whatever it is. Once you can reproduce it, you will be able to show it to Safelite or whomever you choose.
Your insurance company will sometimes waive the deductible if the crack can be fixed without replacing the windshield.
Good luck!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
does it look like a spiderweb silk thread? I have one of those and it just boggles my mind.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Sit in the car in your usual driving position, and have an assistant shine a bright light down from the specified angle. You'll probably see the crack, or scratch, or whatever it is. Once you can reproduce it, you will be able to show it to Safelite or whomever you choose.
Your insurance company will sometimes waive the deductible if the crack can be fixed without replacing the windshield.
Good luck!
good idea.

i have progressive. and they do waive the deductible.
whatever this is, it appears to be internal to the glass, with no surface break. but i dont know for sure.

Originally Posted by trancedsailor
does it look like a spiderweb silk thread? I have one of those and it just boggles my mind.
it's one thin straight line.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Front windshield is usually 2 pieces of glass with a piece a plastic in the middle and then they squeeze them together to remove any air bubles then they set it in the winshield frame. So I wouldnt doubt that you actually got good eyesight and you can see the seam between the pieces, but as long as your glass is good you should be fine. Let us know what happends.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM
okay yeah that's the spiderweb line I mentioned. Every time I see it, I think it's part of a spiderweb and my hand hits the glass and I'm like wtF...