General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Care Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda Care Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

Hey y'all,

I'm planning to get a 2009 Honda Fit Sport A/T w/ Navi very soon and I was wondering what you guys thought of the extended warranty?

I already know not to buy it from the dealer because it's so much cheaper online. Unless my dealer can match the online price, then I'll probably buy it from either College Hills, Bernardi, or Saccucci.

Bottom line is, is this even worth getting?

Hondas have a reputation of being very reliable. I just don't want to get it and end up never having to use it.

I was looking at the 7 or 8 year (80k-100k miles) extended warranty plans.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

myke

Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
A warranty might add value for a buyer if you sell the car five years down the road. But don't bother if you plan on doing mods that would void the warranty anyway.

I'm curious though: have any US Fit owners used their warranty?

Last edited by MrLucky; 07-26-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
The people who bought it will tell you it's great and the ones who didn't will tell you it's a complete waste of money. They're both right.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
i got a fit sport w/ navi about 2 months ago, and i bought the 8-year extended warranty online from saccucci. i decided it was worth it because we plan to keep this fit for as long as possible. i believe in the reliability of honda vehicles (we still drive a 10-year-old honda civic), but i wonder about all the electronics and navigation system/head unit in particular.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
8 years? how much did that run you? I haven't heard of one that long.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 PM
extended warranty

I bought an extended warranty when I bought my 2003 Civic Hybrid. About 98K I was having problems with the airbag light staying on constantly. After my dealer went over the car, they finally decided to replace the entire electrical harness related to the airbag system. Other things like weird squeaks were repaired by the dealer for free too. I bought a 100K/?years extended warranty when I bought my 07 Fit. I'm at 2+ years, 79K with no issues at all. So, I would say it really depends on the type of driver you are. Some parts are likely to go bad with 3 years no matter how many miles, some are going to be mileage based. Hondas have a great reputation, and I might not need the extended warranty this time around - I was glad to have it last time. I took my Civic Hybrid off the road when the hybrid system started to fail at 140K.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Just purchased a 09 Honda Fit Sport (no navi) and we purchased the 6 year 120K bumper to bumper warranty (no deductible) for the car because we plan to use it as our daily driver (approx 600 miles a week) and thought it sounded like a great thing to have....in a perfect world we won't have to use it, but if we ever have to them it is there for us. LOVE hondas....this is my first new one, but previous hondas have gone over 200K and no problems for me.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Hondas are very reliable but they do have issues from time to time, just like any other car. I wish I had an extended warranty on my CR-V. It would have saved me money, for sure. I've spent close to $2500 in repairs. I got the extended warranty on my Odyssey b/c over the years the Honda 5 speed auto in that van has been known for issues. Plus, with all the electronics and power options...

As for my Fit, yeah, I got it on there, too. Mainly b/c I drive so much, I'd burn through the normal warranty in a year's time. So at least with an extra 90k or so of warranty, I have about 3 yrs of hard driving covered.

Plus, don't know if it's the same at every dealer, but mine will only give out loaner vehicles to people who have Honda Care.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
my 8-year 100k-mile hondacare contract cost $810 from saccucci honda.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by ds61761
my 8-year 100k-mile hondacare contract cost $810 from saccucci honda.
That's the one I was looking at.

The only thing is, I have to use an out of state address because they won't sell the extended warranty online to residents of California.

myke

Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
That's the one I was looking at.

The only thing is, I have to use an out of state address because they won't sell the extended warranty online to residents of California.

myke
You probably void your contract as soon as you do that.

They also state this:
THIS CONTRACT IS NOT MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN INSURANCE, AN EXPRESS, IMPLIED, GENERAL, OR
EXTENSION OF A WARRANTY, AND IS NOT A CONDITION OF THE SALE OF THE VEHICLE. THIS CONTRACT
MAY DUPLICATE SOME WARRANTY COVERAGE.

That's why they call it "Honda Care" and not an extended warranty.

Also, even using an out of state address won't change your IP. Or your bank routing which shows your bank branch. And it won't change where you register your vehicle. Or where your service is provided.

Next, that's called FRAUD. Well, it is.

And I wouldn't be all that comfortable buying online if there is an ongoing legal action going on between Honda and that dealership.

Basically, you're at a railroad crossing. There are bright red flashing lights. There are loud ding-ding-ding-ding-ding bell sounds. You can hear the train horn blaring. You can hear the clickety-clack on the tracks.

Does the black and white bar descending to block your progress over the train tracks have to crack open your skull to finally clue you in to "Gee, this isn't a good idea"?

Whatever dealer you buy the car from will have a Honda Care contract available. And they will try real hard to sell it to you. Several times. With charts and graphs.

The problem with buying from your own dealer is... what?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Ooops, I never really thought of it that way.

I guess I was just looking for the best deal out there.

My dealer offers the Honda Care extended warranty also, but it's cheaper by a few hundred dollars online.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens with the whole lawsuit thing.

I do have until 6k miles to decide if I want to purchase or not.

Did you buy the extended warranty, TW?

myke

Old 07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hey IBJanky,

Don't worry about this. The extended warranty is the biggest profit maker for these dealerships. Most of the time it is 100% profit, as most people never use it.

I have bought 26 cars in my time, and never an extended warranty. Simply save your money....have a little buffer in the bank in case something happens.......but it likely will not. The reason why we all buy a Honda is because it is reliable.

Save your money.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Ooops, I never really thought of it that way.

I guess I was just looking for the best deal out there.

My dealer offers the Honda Care extended warranty also, but it's cheaper by a few hundred dollars online.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens with the whole lawsuit thing.

I do have until 6k miles to decide if I want to purchase or not.

Did you buy the extended warranty, TW?

myke
I know, in the search for the ultimate great deal, we can get lost.

Tell your dealership you are looking for a good deal on the Honda Care, and see what they can do.

I did not purchase the Honda Care. It wasn't even a blip on my radar. It has to have value for the person who has the car. For me, it did not.

I am a member of AAA/CSAA. I pay a yearly membership in addition to paying insurance premiums. I have a Plus membership. It's $89.00 a year. I get 100 miles of free towing. I get some gas if I run out. With the old VW that had some mystery electrical battery drain problem, they send out a truck (for free) with batteries on it, and install right where I am.

The Honda Care would be duplicate coverage for those kinds of things. Why would I pay twice? And, to have AAA auto insurance, being a member is a REQUIREMENT.

And AAA has it's own DMV services. I had my year sticker stolen off my license plate. I just went to my close AAA office and got a new one. I can do my registration there too. They have maps and trip advisors and even discounts.

Secondly, I don't drive much. I have about 1,100 miles on the car, and I bought in December. I know that parts wear out, and they wear out from use. It would make sense that if the car is rarely used, that the parts wouldn't wear out.

Sure, they might corrode, but they won't be worn.

So those two main factors, duplicate coverage and little driving, were enough to make the Honda Care seem like a waste FOR ME.

HOWEVER...if you do NOT have any roadside assistance with your insurance, and/or you drive many miles commuting or on vacations or pleasure driving...the Honda Care might be a valuable thing to have.

With the AAA, I considered the original membership "enough". Until my car started having problems, the old one. I upgraded to the more expensive one because IT MADE SENSE FOR ME.

The additional features were ones I actually USED. NEEDED.

Last, one word of warning. I bought some kind of extended warranty on a car I bought...and I managed to void the warranty when I needed it the most. It overheated and the oil pressure dropped.

How did I void it? It had a clause like this:
− failure to stop driving or protect YOUR VEHICLE from further damage after a MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN occurs
(e.g., continuing to operate YOUR VEHICLE after the oil pressure warning light/gauge or temperature warning light/gauge
indicates a problem. In the event a warning light/gauge indicates a problem, safely pull YOUR VEHICLE to the side of the
road and contact roadside assistance.);

And I didn't know jack squat about cars. I let it cool off and drove it into town. Were the bearings spun before or after I drove it? Was the crankshaft scored before or after I drove it? I was in the middle of NOWHERE with no traffic, cell phones weren't around much. What was I supposed to do? Start building a hut and hope someone came along in the next few days?

I learned a bit about the car, the warranty, the law during the MONTHS it sat at a dealership while I argued back and forth with the warranty people. It wasn't covered. I was out the money for the warranty, the warranty was voided, and I had to pay for the repair.

If you're the kind of guy that documents everything and sets up scheduled service appointments way ahead of time and don't modify the car at all, then you might find the Honda Care good.

It also depends on HOW they run their program. How easy it is to find someone to tow you (is it 24-7 towing anywhere?) or how easy it is to be reimbursed.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
AAA is a good deal. But in response to NMFit2008, I'd say the following. Yes, extended warranties are profit centers for dealers. But that does not change the fact that if something major DOES happen outside normal warranty, they are a butt saver. I'd also point out ASKING your service manager or researching online is ALSO very valuable. Many times Honda puts extended warranties on problem parts. Problem is they won't tell you about them unless you ask. Trust me, I and many others have had this issue with the CR-V a/c system. Walk in blindly to the dealership with a bad a/c in a CR-V, and you can be on the hook for $2400. Walk in knowing there's an extended warranty and you'll walk back out with a car fixed for free. Hondas have mechanical issues just like any other cars. Sure, they have less. But it does happen. There are a lot of late 90's early 2000's 5 speed auto trans vehicle owners who will argue over Honda's reliability at length. On my CR-V, which has, on the whole, been VERY reliable, I had the a/c issue AND needed a new cat and O2 sensors need to be replaced by 100k miles. A Honda OE replacement cat for the CR-V is $1400! O2 sensors are also fairly pricey. I was able to scrounge around for deals online and ended up spending about $700 by the time all was said and done.

Just pointing out, extended warranty or not is a tough decision. But don't let judgement be clouded by the belief that absolutely nothing will ever go wrong within the first 100-120k miles of ownership.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Great info you guys!

TW, I have a AAA membership here in CA. I have the Plus membership w/ the motorcycle/RV add ons (since I ride motorcycles/scooters). And let me tell you, it has already saved my butt more than a few times. I also love the fact that I can walk into the AAA office and get DMV services. No lines, and I get my stuff done in a fraction of the time vs going to a DMV office.

I see your point regarding duplicating some of the services that AAA already provides.

The only thing that even remotely concerns me is if stuff starts acting up after the factory warranty period is over. This is my first Honda, so I have no first hand experience with them. Judging from other people's experiences though, it seems like Hondas are pretty reliable and I really shouldn't be worried about major repairs if I keep up with the maintenance. And so far I haven't really heard of a history of any major problems with the 1st generation Fit line. Granted, the 2009s are 2nd generation and are yet to prove themselves. Worst thing I've heard is the A/C condenser getting hit by rocks. Some people have been able to get it fixed under warranty and some have not had the same luck and were out $800.

FWIW, I do all my basic maintenance stuff at home (oil changes, brakes, filters, etc.). I'm pretty good at keeping up with that stuff.

Also, I don't plan on modding the car.

BTW, have any of you guys read about any problems with the Honda Navigation system? I would just hate for it to go kaput after 3 years and then having to replace it. I bet they're pretty pricey. A Honda Care extended warranty would cover all electrical components too (including the Navi headunit)

myke

Last edited by IBJanky; 07-27-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Great info you guys!

TW, I have a AAA membership here in CA. I have the Plus membership w/ the motorcycle/RV add ons (since I ride motorcycles/scooters). And let me tell you, it has already saved my butt more than a few times. I also love the fact that I can walk into the AAA office and get DMV services. No lines, and I get my stuff done in a fraction of the time vs going to a DMV office.

I see your point regarding duplicating some of the services that AAA already provides.

The only thing that even remotely concerns me is if stuff starts acting up after the factory warranty period is over. This is my first Honda, so I have no first hand experience with them. Judging from other people's experiences though, it seems like Hondas are pretty reliable and I really shouldn't be worried about major repairs if I keep up with the maintenance. And so far I haven't really heard of a history of any major problems with the 1st generation Fit line. Granted, the 2009s are 2nd generation and are yet to prove themselves. Worst thing I've heard is the A/C condenser getting hit by rocks. Some people have been able to get it fixed under warranty and some have not had the same luck and were out $800.

FWIW, I do all my basic maintenance stuff at home (oil changes, brakes, filters, etc.). I'm pretty good at keeping up with that stuff.

Also, I don't plan on modding the car.

BTW, have any of you guys read about any problems with the Honda Navigation system? I would just hate for it to go kaput after 3 years and then having to replace it. I bet they're pretty pricey. A Honda Care extended warranty would cover all electrical components too (including the Navi headunit)

myke
There's more to extended coverage than just warranty type things bought at the dealership. You buy a genuine Honda part, you probably have the same guarantees as I did with GM and VW. A year on the part. So as time goes on, and you replace things that just wear out, you have a year against defects.

Next, there is the safety in numbers feature. If it's one person that has something go wrong, it sucks. But when many people start having the same issue, it goes to the next step. Like the old Prius model upgraded headlights:
-------

The Toyota Prius's high-intensity bulbs tend to fizz out, according to hundreds who complained, both to the federal government and Toyota. To replace the lamps costs between $300 and $1,800, and car warranties don't provide a financial umbrella, according to Advertising Age.

Glaring deficiency? Pop goes the high-intensity headlights on Toyota Prius - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com
------

The NHTSA is investigating. If there is a problem, there is a recall, or Toyota can start a recall on their own.

No warranty covers it, AAA isn't much help with headlights.

Honda Care wouldn't help in those situations. It's not covered: (not covered section of the sample Honda Care contract):
lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); Hi
Intensity Discharge (HID.) headlamps;

That "safety in numbers" comes in when you devote time to keeping up with news and visiting forums like this one. And if it seems to be something that many people are experiencing, the same process can begin by reporting to the NHTSA.
------

What's your annual mileage? That could be another factor. And do you really HAVE to drive as much as you do? I went without a car for a year. I walked, twice a week, to the store, sometimes in the rain, to get groceries.

Since you have a scooter too, many errands can be done without using your new car. The car IS finite. You can continually update various parts as needed in the future, but the car as it is is finite. You'll run out of gas, and it will need to be replaced. That is the simplest example. And the one that will need to be done first. LOL!

How do you want to use that first 300 miles or so? That first tank of gas could be used up in a weekend or a day or it could take months, like it did for me. I've maybe gassed up 4 times? Since December. The third time I didn't fill it all the way.

You can have it now, or later. You can use it now (a lot), or later (using it a little bit). that works for a tank of gas and it works for the life expectancy of a car.

Put the money that you might have spent on the Honda Care (if you don't drive a lot) into a savings account. If you never need it for your car, it's there for other emergencies.

Or, put it towards the balance of the car and get the car paid off sooner. Less interest paid is in YOUR best interest.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
my dealer said there is even a 96 month 120k warranty.

regardless i think i will get some sort of extended warranty tho because ive put about 40k miles on my existing car in a year

Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TheRealBenzo
my dealer said there is even a 96 month 120k warranty.

regardless i think i will get some sort of extended warranty tho because ive put about 40k miles on my existing car in a year
Then it might be a very good idea for you. You can read more about general things that are covered here:
Honda Certified Used Cars - Honda Care Plans & Benefits - the Official Honda Web Site

Especially if you don't already belong to a motor club. Check into what specifically is available in your area regarding the "Cross Country Motor Club"

Services are provided by and/or through Cross Country Motor Club, Inc.,
Medford, MA 02155 except in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Wyoming where services are provided by and/or through Cross Country Motor
Club of California, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA 91360.

The above is from the Costco site, they offer Cross Country Motor Club memberships here:
https://costcora.crosscountry-auto.com/Public/Home.aspx

On that page, click on View the Guide to membership (oh, looks like the link pastes over, cool) which is a brochure in pdf format.

I don't know ANYTHING about them. Cross Country Motor Club, that is. A few people who tow for them aren't happy:
CROSS COUNTRY MOTOR CLUB SHORT CHANGEING ITS VENDORS - Cross Country - Motor Clubs - Tow411 - Message Board - Yuku

And CCMC isn't happy with GM's bankruptcy:
http://www.motorsliquidationdocket.c...v_desc=&sort=F

And I can't seem to find the specific site for California. Because my searches keep bringing up bits of the contractual language from the various car dealerships and makers that mention their names.

It's like trying to find wallpaper, for your home walls, and not the kind that goes on your computer desktop.

What I wonder is if you can get the power train warranty without the auto club stuff. That way you can shop for auto club stuff separately if you need it, and exclude it completely if you already belong to AAA or CCMC (through costco or someplace else).

Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Like most insurance-type purchases, it's a complete waste of money......unless you need to use it!

It really depends on your situation and needs. I did not get one on my old Civic. It's now currently at 120k miles/7 years and (knock on wood) has only had 2 "failures" - passenger lock actuator, and the 6-disc in-dash changer is a piece of crap. I was uncertain at the time how long I'd keep the Civic, so I did not worry about the warranty.

For the Fit, my plan is for it to be a 10-year (maybe more) proposition, so I got a beefy HondaCare plan.

Quick Reply: Honda Care Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?