General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Seafoam

Old 08-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Seafoam

Okay, so I Seafoamed my Vios today and did an oil change. Well, when Seafoaming a car, you're suppose to drive it like you stole it. So that what I did. However, before that, you have to rev your engine and idle to let most of the carbon build up out (seen as heavy smoke). So I revved and idled for 15-20 minutes, all the while thinking that my crappy tank (I had a lower mileage after the 2nd bar went off) is just getting crappier. Then I went to go to my place (an hour or so away) to change my oil (Gotta drive around with the Seafoam in). I was accelerating hard, doing jack rabbit starts until I got on the freeway. That's where I kept on flooring it every other minute (or less). I would floor it in 3rd all the way up to around 5k rpm (up to 65 mph). Then I would ease off and let it fall to 55 mph (in 5th), and drive at 55 mph for half a minute. Then I would drop it back to 3rd and repeat the process. I did this all the way back to my place (again, a little more than an hour away from my mom's). Changed my oil, and did some laundry. Then we ate dinner, and started to drive back to my mom's. I decided to fill up once I only had a quarter tank of gas left. Again, I was thinking, man, this has got to be the lowest mpg I'll ever get. So, I calculated my mpg, and got 39.615 mpg!!! I thought I did it wrong, so I recalculated everything again; 375 miles divided by 9.466 gallons (I put in 2.001 gallons prior to Seafoaming since I was already at half tank, so when I filled up just now, I added 7.465 gallons). I just find that crazy.

Anyway, back to the Seafoam. With 42k miles on the odometer, and hypermiling driving habits, I got a ton of carbon build up. I tried to take pics, but it's hard when you have to set the timer on the camera, run to the car and rev it in time before the shutter opens. I'll post some pics in a few. Gotta take care of some things first.

Here are the pics. This was nothing. I had the entire lot overhang area filled with smoke.
Name:  DSC_0312-2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0313-2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0314-2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0315-2.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  121.1 KB

Now, I've been told that the smoke doesn't necessarily show how much carbon build up a car has, but I think Seafoam works seeing how I was able to get that kind of gas mileage from driving like a mad man.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:41 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
haha yeah it smokes because of the seafoam

Old 08-29-2009, 03:45 AM
Yeah, the burning of it. hehe. Smelled like the oil I used to lube my R/C's back in the day.

Anyone here Seafoamed their Fit?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I need to seafoam my wife's v6 ranger. She doesn't understand the concept of shifting after 2500rpm (and she wonders why she complains about it being soo slow). It's got 60k miles on it, so I am sure there is a TON of carbon buildup in there!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by stevet47
I need to seafoam my wife's v6 ranger. She doesn't understand the concept of shifting after 2500rpm (and she wonders why she complains about it being soo slow). It's got 60k miles on it, so I am sure there is a TON of carbon buildup in there!
Yeah, that would be a good idea. I always shift between 2000-2500 rpm for best fuel efficiency (unless I need to be really moving fast). Let me know how the results are after.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, smoke is the seafoam. If you want to look for carbon, look for wet, black liquid dripping out of the tailpipe. All cars build up carbon on their piston crowns sooner or later.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
I used to do it on my Cobra every 20k miles or so, then I would change the oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, and plugs. I was crazy with the maintanance, lol. I would use the Seafoam in my gas tank, oil, and through the vacuum lines into the intake mani. Worked great for me though I would let the car sit for about an hour, crank it up, allow it to idle up warm, then take off down the road full throttle. My neighbors would always think I broke my car because I would cover my neighborhood with white smoke, lol.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
so you seafoamed and then beat the car? or the other way around?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:21 PM
This is off topic because I just like to compliment your car. That's one of the nicest Vios that I've seen.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna
Yeah, the burning of it. hehe. Smelled like the oil I used to lube my R/C's back in the day.

Anyone here Seafoamed their Fit?

I seafoamed my fit last year - and plan to do it once a year. I saw some great MPGs for a while, and it felt like smoother performance - not necessarily more or better but just smoother.

The first time I did it I think it was one of the things that saved my car - I live in florida, and have the fujita cold air intake. We had some MAJOR flash flooding last May and I ended up hydrolocking the car. I pushed it home - I wasn't far luckily - tore down the top end - intake manifold up - drained the oil, siphoned residual water, cleaned aspect of the intake side I could get to basically and then filled with fresh oil, but drained it again, and then filled with fresh oil. Sealed everything up, and then ran seafoam through and the car smoked for 2 days intermittently. But it saved my car I'm convinced. I've put seafoam now in everything - lawn mowers, my bikes, anything with any engine and I think it should be part of the regular routine maintenance along with changing the oil, plugs, filters, etc.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
seafoam

I saw different methods on where to apply it. In you opinion, where the best place to apply it into the Fit. DIY would be great!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Actually there is a DIY... just search "seafoam" you have to put 1/3 of the bottle in the engine (the part where you might need the DIY) and you also have to add 1/3 in the fuel tank and 1/3 in your oil (for the oil you drive the car 30km then you change it)

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
I've used seafoam this morning... but i'm not sure if i did everything right... i followed the steps of the DIY, and i fed the seafoam by the tube on the back of the intake manifold... then i shut the car, and after 8 min i restarted it... my brother says he saw a little black smoke instead of white... and my engine also threw me a CEL... so i'm just a little concerned...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
I've used seafoam this morning... but i'm not sure if i did everything right... i followed the steps of the DIY, and i fed the seafoam by the tube on the back of the intake manifold... then i shut the car, and after 8 min i restarted it... my brother says he saw a little black smoke instead of white... and my engine also threw me a CEL... so i'm just a little concerned...
light still on? or off? the engine is supposed to be kinda choking when your putting it in, it might be a good idea to get your brother or whoever to push the gas a little to keep the car alive while you put the seafoam in from the breakbooster.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
well i was able to get rid of the CEL after reseting the ECU... everything seems just fine now... i will wait and see if it goes back on, the engine did choke a little when i poured the seafoam, but it went well. I just hope that seafoam really works cause even if i was'nt too worried, it could have been a real PITA... :P
For now i only fed it to the fuel tank and the engine, i'm going to wait for the oil as it's still at 60%

Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I've read lots and lots of testimonials about Seafoam, but have yet to ever see a before & after tear down or inspection of an engine's condition after using using the stuff. I've used it before, and my opinion/impression is that it's too severe to be considered regular maintenance.

That said, on my old 5th gen Prelude I did successfully clean out the EGR ports with it. It was my last resort, and I just poured a few tablespoons into the ports after removing the valve. Replaced the valve, and started it up. The car ran like absolute garbage for at least 50 miles, and required multiple ECU resets because it kept going into limp mode . . . but at the end of the day, the EGR CEL never came back. :shrug:

Since I had most of the can left over, I later on used more of it by adding it through the brake booster line. It sure smoked a lot, but whether it helped any, I can't honestly say. I think the chances of it fouling an o2 sensor or screwing up a catalytic converter are pretty good, though . . .

Old 05-05-2010, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
just came back from a 700 km trip... and the CEL never went back on... and right now i'm on my way for one of my best MPG yet!!! sure it's mostly highway, but seafoam might be worth it afterall... anyways, i will report back as soon as i'm back to regular driving habits...

Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pokems23
I saw different methods on where to apply it. In you opinion, where the best place to apply it into the Fit. DIY would be great!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...y-seafoam.html

Old 05-08-2010, 02:06 AM
love how the car feels after seafoam nice and smooth

Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
damn... I just did my first fill up after seafoam... and my milaege did'nt improve at all... the only place i did'nt put any yet is engine oil...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seafoam