General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

what's the max miles you've gone without changing dino oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Just to be clear, the Maintenance Minder wouldn't know dino or synthetic - you'll still get the same % either way.
exactly. You can change your oil to brnad new oil and it wouldn't even know. Some of you act like it is some magical device that can detect oil life, which it can not.

irst oil change should NOT be done early. The break-in oil has more molybdenum in it,
so what? Molybdenum is just a lube and does nothing after a very short period of time. That is why engine builders use it for the initial starting of a new motor (coat cams, lifters, etc..) and then change oil soon after that as it serves no purpose. In fact, we want engines to wear so the rings seat so having a super lubrication is a bad idea for a new engine. If it were a good idea engines would come with fully synthetic oil from the factory, which they do not.

Modern engines building has really improved and most engines are fully broken in at 600-1000 miles. Hell, even the old school engines were broken in at 1200-1500 miles. The things that takes the longest to break in are the rings and they seat within the aforementioned time frame if not sooner. Don't believe me, go do a leak down test on your engine.

So waiting for the full life is a waste of time and if anything allows the dirty break in oil to possibly do more damage. The only reason we use crappy break in oil is so that parts CAN wear together to break in (mostly rings to cylinder walls), then we can use the best synthetics of our choice.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
I have a M/T Sport with over 4200 miles on it - the oil life is still at 70%. So the manual models are capable of high mileage between changes not just the A/T models.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Of course you can. I'm just repeating the words of the engineers at Honda. Take it up with them.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I just go with what the oil filter brand recommends. I don't think the oil will break down that easy on the fit, but if the oil filter is clogged, then doesn't matter if oil is good or bad, there might not be enough in the engine to protect the engine.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Mercedes and Jag both change ALL oils at 1000 km to get the grindings from new parts wearing into each other OUT of the engine, trans, and rear end. MyFit will have 1500 on it by the end of the month when I out on snow tires. I feel bad that I havent changed my oil yet. Good Grief, its just oil in a little Jap engine. In the largest of pictures, all that matters is to keep clean oil in there! Rotella T synthetic for me

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Two Oil Changes So Far

My 2013 Base A/T is now almost 15 Months old. Just did my 2nd oil change, both oil changes were done at MM 15%, 1st oil change 7,569 mi, 2nd oil change 6,924 mi.. Not sure if I should worry about it coming a little faster the 2nd time around or not? I see a lot of 10,000 mile's out there? But I drive 2/3 city, 1/3 highway. Not a grandma, but not a lead foot either.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
with my 10 sport and my 13 I was within 100 miles of 10000 for every oil change after break in. on my 10 i went in @ 3000 because I heard (I think in manual) 1st change should be done early. the dealership scolded me that I should follow the minder. They also told me I needed an alignment and didn't after i got a second opinion. So I did an early change 1st time on my 13 too. Not that I am right but this has been my experience. Feel weird about going 10000 before a change though. I also no longer go to that dealership

Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 PM
The maintenance minder is based on the factory filled oil so if your fit came with dino oil like the 5W20 then its accurate. If your Fit came with synthetic 0W20 like mine did and you put conventional then it is NOT accurate. There is no oil sensor.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by spin out
since my last oil change, i've driven 6635 miles and my minder says i have 50% oil life left (im sure it'll hit 40% very shortly).

i drive normally. i dont push the car, i dont baby the car.

based on the maintenance minder, i could go close to 10,000 miles before needing an changing oil.

ive heard the oil life minder is simply calculated by engine revs.
i dont know if that's true... but it makes sense.

i plan to change the oil at 7000 miles... but i wonder if i really have to.
I am in almost exactly the same situation re # of miles and MM%. Honda (unlike anybody else) says specifically not to change the initial fill early. I would wait till 15% but my problem is I have been working out of state and the car has recently been sitting a lot at home. It is approaching one year old and Honda also wants you to change the oil at least once per year. So what to do: change it at one year even though by the %'s its changing the oil "early", or run it 'till it is at 15% even though more than a year has gone by?

Old 06-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Blinking Oil Indicator

So I went to -19 after my oil reached 0%. I commute in very hot weather so I have to change my oil every 5k. I had never let it slip below 15% but was laid off recently and avoiding spending the money. Finally had the oil changed yesterday and they didn't reset the indicator. Now it's just blinking that negative number at me and I can't figure out how to make it stop. I tried resetting it but it didn't work. I feel like a helpless girl and helpless I rarely am. HELP!

Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lehuber89
So I went to -19 after my oil reached 0%. I commute in very hot weather so I have to change my oil every 5k. I had never let it slip below 15% but was laid off recently and avoiding spending the money. Finally had the oil changed yesterday and they didn't reset the indicator. Now it's just blinking that negative number at me and I can't figure out how to make it stop. I tried resetting it but it didn't work. I feel like a helpless girl and helpless I rarely am. HELP!
The owner's manual tells the procedure to reset the maintenance minder. Turn on ignition, press trip odometer reset knob repeatedly until the oil life screen is displayed. Press and HOLD the reset knob for 10 seconds. The display will flash and the next service code will be displayed. Press and HOLD the reset button again for 10 seconds and the maintenance minder will reset to "100%".

Old 06-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
The owner's manual tells the procedure to reset the maintenance minder. Turn on ignition, press trip odometer reset knob repeatedly until the oil life screen is displayed. Press and HOLD the reset knob for 10 seconds. The display will flash and the next service code will be displayed. Press and HOLD the reset button again for 10 seconds and the maintenance minder will reset to "100%".
Yeah, i tried that. Couldn't get it to work. The display doesn't STOP flashing. It's not displaying the oil life anymore, it's just displaying the miles I've gone since dropping below 0%. The reset isn't working. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lehuber89
Yeah, i tried that. Couldn't get it to work. The display doesn't STOP flashing. It's not displaying the oil life anymore, it's just displaying the miles I've gone since dropping below 0%. The reset isn't working. Any other suggestions?
Did you try pushing the button to cycle through the screens around to the oil life screen? Maybe the initial "you need to change your oil yesterday" flashing page isn't counting as the real oil life page.

Also, ten seconds can seem to be a lot longer than it should by rights when you're holding a dinky little button in.

The procedure does work, even if you're in the negative/past due zone.