General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

headlights too low??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kentris
Here we go, found a picture

You guys have that?
So is 0 the highest level?

I thought the purpose of the switch was to lower the lights in the event that the rear was heavily loaded.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:51 AM
I've never seen an option like that period in any car that I've driven. I've seen switches like that for adjusting the dash lighting but never the exterior lights.

I'm guessing it's a throwback to some old inspection laws where your lights had to be aimed at a certain level.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
I know the Mitsubishi Evo Lancer has a similar headlight adjust switch. I believe the Mazda 3 with HID may have the same thing too.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah 0 is the highest value whilst 3 is the more dipped.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Add me to the list of horrible low beams.

The hard low beam cut off is just under 200 feet. Simply awful to try to drive chasing a shadow. I consider it a safety issue. Hoping they just didn't get the headlights adjusted on the pre-delivery.

High beams are OK. Fogs work great.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
low beam headlight problem

I went to the dealer today for a low headlight beam problem and the tech said my beams were about 4 inches too low, he adjusted them to spec aligning the headlight bulb with the embedded mark on the headlight lense. I'll see tonight if that worked.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tomh
damn, so that's why we just have a cap.
hihi should be nice

Old 05-17-2006, 12:10 PM
yeah....lights are low.....

Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
I wondered if the headlights are set low because of the cargo carrying capacity. Otherwise the lights would blind oncoming traffic when the back was loaded and the nose was up.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Also the cap can be used for a coin holder.
Here is the link on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H...spagenameZWDVW
It is a finished listing so you ned to login to ebay to view it.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM
My low-beam headlight saga continues. The car is absolutely undriveable at night outside the city lights. The low beams don't even light up reflectorized signs on dark streets. The high beams seem very good, but I can't use them very much.

The dealer checked the headlights on his machine and said they were OK. Suggested I contact American Honda Customer Service, which I did. Zone manager is supposed to contact me tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
I picked up my car yesterday.

Last night, I went for a drive with a #2 phillip's head screw driver and a flashlight.

I adjusted both headlights quite a bit (maybe 5 full revolutions with the screw driver!)

The screwdriver fits into a hole and turns the teeth on the adjuster.

FWIW - the passenger side is real easy to see, it is about 1/2 way back on the headlight unit. The driver's side has an access hole to the adjuster about in the same place.

Took me about 10 minutes to get it where they illuminated the roadway sufficiently without blinding on-coming traffic.

Hint - if you are on level ground (a mall parking lot, for example) and walk about 100 feet in front of the car, bend down until you are "dazzled" by the lights, around bumper height, you are probably about right. You should be equally dazzled by both lights at the same time or else you have one of them out of adjustment.

Today I'll find out where the adjusters are for the fog lights, and I'll adjust them tonight.

David
'07 Fit Sport, red, AT, 32 miles

Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the information.

The five full turns kind of "Fits" in with a theory I have been developing that the US models are using the bulb cradle used by other models with the electric driver adjustable headlights.

Perhaps those use a servo-motor to adjust the lights where we have the screw and the very earliest builds are shipping with the lights at what would be the extreme lowest position of the adjustable units. Just a theory. If I don't hear from Honda today, I'll take matters into my own hands. Already sat in the dealership two hours to be told "No problem found".

Old 05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit_ness
Thanks for the information.

The five full turns kind of "Fits" in with a theory I have been developing that the US models are using the bulb cradle used by other models with the electric driver adjustable headlights.

Perhaps those use a servo-motor to adjust the lights where we have the screw and the very earliest builds are shipping with the lights at what would be the extreme lowest position of the adjustable units. Just a theory. If I don't hear from Honda today, I'll take matters into my own hands. Already sat in the dealership two hours to be told "No problem found".
My last several Honda's all used the same type of headlight adjustment screw - going back to some from the '80s.

Good theory, and it may be right, but it is something that Honda has been using for a good while on the cars.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
I picked up my car yesterday.

Last night, I went for a drive with a #2 phillip's head screw driver and a flashlight.

I adjusted both headlights quite a bit (maybe 5 full revolutions with the screw driver!)

The screwdriver fits into a hole and turns the teeth on the adjuster.

FWIW - the passenger side is real easy to see, it is about 1/2 way back on the headlight unit. The driver's side has an access hole to the adjuster about in the same place.

Took me about 10 minutes to get it where they illuminated the roadway sufficiently without blinding on-coming traffic.

Hint - if you are on level ground (a mall parking lot, for example) and walk about 100 feet in front of the car, bend down until you are "dazzled" by the lights, around bumper height, you are probably about right. You should be equally dazzled by both lights at the same time or else you have one of them out of adjustment.

Today I'll find out where the adjusters are for the fog lights, and I'll adjust them tonight.

David
'07 Fit Sport, red, AT, 32 miles
I might be blind, but where are the adjusters? under the car? Or is it on the headlamps themselves somewhere? I don't remember seeing a hole in the car...

Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
yeah we would not be trusted with that

Old 05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
oh and my lights work fine to me

Old 05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I only see one adjuster at the rear of the headlights near the end of the sockets. Mark your screwdriver so you can count the # of turns in case you have to reverse the settings later on.

Last edited by willmax11; 05-18-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crimsona
I might be blind, but where are the adjusters? under the car? Or is it on the headlamps themselves somewhere? I don't remember seeing a hole in the car...
Raise the hood, and look about 1/2 way on the black plastic that extends from the back of the headlight unit towards the front where the hood connects. There will be a hole where you can insert the screwdriver, and it will connect with silver, metal teeth through a black plastic hole.

David - who wishes that he had a camera with him!!

Old 05-19-2006, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
I did another look-see last night, and the adjusters are just about even with the parking light (the top light in the headlight housing.)

Hope this helps!

David
'07 Fit Sport, red, AT, 42 miles

Quick Reply: headlights too low??