General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

headlights too low??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
I did another look-see last night, and the adjusters are just about even with the parking light (the top light in the headlight housing.)

Hope this helps!

David
'07 Fit Sport, red, AT, 42 miles
Thanks, this helps a lot. Will see if I need to adjust, since I do 100% of my driving in the city, and might not need higher headlights. Will need to get my car first though

Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 PM
quick question since I didn't see it listed on here, but what direction do you turn the screwdriver to move the headlight up/down?

Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 PM
IIRC, Clockwise with the wrench is up. I went a full four turns and then backed down just a little. American Honda called me today. Said that they may put out a service bulletin.

8 mm open-end wrench.
I don't know where they are using a screwdriver.

Edit: Now I see from Willmax's diagram. I guess you use the #2 Phillips as a "gear".

Last edited by fit_ness; 06-02-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Glad to read this. Count me in - I think they're too low too. At first I just thought it was me. I adjusted them up myself and they're much better now.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah so have my Fit for four days, and the only gripe is that I can distinctly SEE the line where the low beams just kind of stop. VERY distracting. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem...seems like it can be easily corrected. I'll work on it..

Old 06-02-2006, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
I found myself getting nauseated the other night, while driving on a bumpy road. The way that cutoff line jarred up and down was throwing off my equilibrium (yeah, strobe lights mess me up, too).

I never have that problem with my pickup truck though, and it certainly doesn't provide for a totally a smooth ride. The only thing I can attribute it to is the soft versus hard edge to the headlight cutoff on the Fit.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I wonder why Honda, Ford, Mazda, everyone it seems gives all the best cars to Europe, and gives us the "basic" models? If I have the bucks$$ I should be able to buy it.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:45 AM
I have the same problem with my low beams...guess ill try to adjust them tomorrow night.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
I wonder why Honda, Ford, Mazda, everyone it seems gives all the best cars to Europe, and gives us the "basic" models? If I have the bucks$$ I should be able to buy it.
I am not sure they do for all cars, especially not the larger ones. Having said that we in UK and rest of Europe have a much more developed market for what you call subcompacts (we call them superminis in the UK). These account for a much greater percentage of sales partly because our roads are often narrower but mainly because our petrol (gas) has always been more heavily taxed and thereofore is now well over twice what you pay for it.

Therefore this market is now seen as not just selling "cheap and cheerful" models, and makers take great care when positioning their cars in this sector. The Jazz (as we call the Fit) is positioned at the top end of the supermini market price wise and Honda have been able to maintain that position because it has consistently scored well in both consumer surveys and journalist's reports. (Yep its as popular over here as it is with you, we have just had it longer)

Therefore our superminis, and especially the top end ones, tend to be well equipped. Despite all that the one thing I would like that you have on the US Fit is cruise.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Drove last night in the rain on familiar back roads - It felt like I was driving the roads for the first time. The fog lights helped but needed to see more road in front.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
thanks for the info fit ness. I wound mine up a little. two full turns using an 8mm box wrench, couldn't find an open end in my tool box. drove to work this A.M. at 3.30, no traffic, and no cops so no speed restrictions, good visibility lo or high beam with no more abrupt cutoff line.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by conchewski
Drove last night in the rain on familiar back roads - It felt like I was driving the roads for the first time. The fog lights helped but needed to see more road in front.
To adjust the fog lights you really need two items: 1) a flashlight, and 2) a 6" long phillips-head screwdriver.

Being able to elevate the front of the car helps (I have used the hump from my driveway to my garage to have "head room", and I have used a wheel-chair ramp at a church to pull one wheel up on the curb so I could get under it...)

There is a slot where you put the screwdriver, and a square-ish opening where you can shine the flashlight to get to the adjuster screw.

Tightening the screw raises the fog lamps, loosening lowers them.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Just got mine over the weekend Freaking awesome!!!! and the lowbeams do seem kind of low, however after talking to a couple people most new cars are adjusted relatively low to keep beams out of eyes of other drivers :-)

Old 06-06-2006, 10:29 PM
After the low beams are readjusted, is the brightness of the headlight bulbs sufficient? Has anyone felt the need to upgrade bulbs? I have heard good things about the Osram Silverstar bulbs (NOT the Sylvania Silverstars, they are actually different; the Osram versions can be found online as they are typically Euro or non-US spec).

Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by e46reef
After the low beams are readjusted, is the brightness of the headlight bulbs sufficient? Has anyone felt the need to upgrade bulbs? I have heard good things about the Osram Silverstar bulbs (NOT the Sylvania Silverstars, they are actually different; the Osram versions can be found online as they are typically Euro or non-US spec).
you absoutely should upgrade those OEM headlights...I just replaced mine with PIAA GTX super plasma bubls and what a difference it's making...it's very similar to HID output with a purpleish tint and gives off a lot of light...I will try to post some pictures when I can...

Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
I personally dont believe aftermarket bulbs make a significant difference in actual light output.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Exclamation Best Bulbs To Replace Oem Headlight Bulbs

Originally Posted by e46reef

Originally Posted by fitjunkie
you absoutely should upgrade those OEM headlights...I just replaced mine with PIAA GTX super plasma bubls and what a difference it's making...it's very similar to HID output with a purpleish tint and gives off a lot of light...I will try to post some pictures when I can...
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST AND LONGEST LASTING AFTERMARKET HEADLIGHT BULB. I AM THINKING OF JUST GOING WITH PIAA. BUT I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EDUCATE ME ON THIS?

ALSO WHAT IS THE PROPER SIZE AND HOW DO I REPLACE THE BULB?

THANKS MY FIT FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS SUCH A SAFETY ISSUE, I AM ASHAMED THAT HONDA HAS NOT HELPED US WITH THIS.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I really don't think it is as serious as you state. I was driving next to a F-150 pickup truck, 2006 last night. Our headlights went out to about the same distance. I think they are fine, don't bother me at all.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
See, I think the issue is that the Fit headlights have a defined cutoff. This isnt a bad thing; it's designed to prevent glare into the eyes of drivers going the other direction.

It's something you have to get used to.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I disagree. The number one cause of deaths in the under 35 age bracket is car accidents, and the number of pedestrians struck is also tremendously high. Limiting forward visibility is a safety concern. All my other vehicles did not have this as bad as the Fit. Just like when prescribing medication, you need to get it at a certain level. Too high is toxic (as aiming too high is increasing risk of accident due to blinding other drivers) and too low is also malpractice, as our attourneys tell us, since it will not treat the problem at hand (in this case illuminating the road with a safe enough distance to spot and have time to react to obstacles and road signs).

Also with prescribing medications you have to be alert to when the dose given is having the desired effect and be ready to adjust it until it is correct - not tell the patient to get used to the insufficient effect.

I apologize for the metaphor. I mean no disrespect in my different opinon and greatly respect your point of view.

Quick Reply: headlights too low??