General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Just got some fake brembos

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Just got some fake brembos

Few weeks ago it seemed like my brake pads needed to be changed. So I thought what the hell I might as well change my rotors along with it too. Was going to buy some from tirerack, but then thought I'd save some money since a sponsored seller was selling on honda-tech. Gave it a shot, got the rotors today but they're not brembo but some cheap rotors.

you can see the original post here:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...2578071&page=3

I'll copy over my posts here too:

first of all the rotors did not have the brembo stamp on them at all and also

the box it came with even says its suppose to be a easy check brembo rotor, however you can see there aren't even the easy check indicators on the rotor.

the ones I received are not real brembo rotors, they have every indication of a knock off from the post you see here:

*Everything* you need to know about buying aftermarket OEM sized Brakes Lots of pics - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum

the only difference is the ones I received does not have as many holes. It has the low quality stampings, non machined surface, and what I'm especially more worried about is the two different thickness the rotor has, which is pretty noticeable I don't even need to measure it. Will provide more close up pics if anyone asks, but it pretty much looks like the ones you see in that post.

so for who ever is looking to get some rotors don't expect to get genuine brembo from 88 Rotors Inc, should have gotten everything from tirerack. just my recently ordered brake pads are worth more than these piece of junks.

Last edited by cowflex; 10-14-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
oh that sucks...

was expecting some crazy plastic caliper covers or something when i saw the title...

Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by cowflex
Few weeks ago it seemed like my brake pads needed to be changed. So I thought what the hell I might as well change my rotors along with it too. Was going to buy some from tirerack, but then thought I'd save some money since a sponsored seller was selling on honda-tech. Gave it a shot, got the rotors today but they're not brembo but some cheap rotors.

you can see the original post here:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...2578071&page=3

I'll copy over my posts here too:

first of all the rotors did not have the brembo stamp on them at all and also

the box it came with even says its suppose to be a easy check brembo rotor, however you can see there aren't even the easy check indicators on the rotor.

the ones I received are not real brembo rotors, they have every indication of a knock off from the post you see here:

*Everything* you need to know about buying aftermarket OEM sized Brakes Lots of pics - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum

the only difference is the ones I received does not have as many holes. It has the low quality stampings, non machined surface, and what I'm especially more worried about is the two different thickness the rotor has, which is pretty noticeable I don't even need to measure it. Will provide more close up pics if anyone asks, but it pretty much looks like the ones you see in that post.

so for who ever is looking to get some rotors don't expect to get genuine brembo from 88 Rotors Inc, should have gotten everything from tirerack. just my recently ordered brake pads are worth more than these piece of junks.
take up the folks at honda-tech with it, they normally seriously frown upon misrepresentation

Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 PM
the seller insists that it is brembo rotors I received, so I decided to post some more pics

notice the bad stamp quality, many letters aren't even fully stamped, even if they are the text thins out on the side where you can barely see it

Difference in the thickness

This is not a brembo quality rotor. Also I must remind everyone that no where on the rotor does it even say brembo on it at all.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I didn't think anything of the seller since it was on honda-tech. We'll see how this goes.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
What was the shipped price if you don't mind sharing? Brembos are expencive 170.00-190.00 just for a set of rotors + ship. The coloring should be a gold coloring with the Brembo logo stamped on the face by were the studs go through. I bought a pair of the Cheaper ones with ceramic pads for under 100.00 and have no probs. stops a lot faster now which is good, but it did take some getting use to.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 AM
they were just 100 shipped for just the rotors so it wasn't too bad. but then they're suppose to be brembo blanks that are machined in house by the company. i've seen the normal brembo blanks go for about $80 a pair. the expensive $170 ones you're talking about are the sport versions that are slotted / drilled by brembo which makes them more expensive. either way I could have gotten real brembo blanks for less, or paying a little more for the sport versions, instead of having these cheap $60 looking rotors.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I assume that you bought a pair of rotors.
Do both boxes contain the same quality of rotor?
I'm in no way, trying to defend the company who sold this product to you.
I'm only wondering if this might be a one off F/up, these are made in Mexico.
It could have been one of the following;
The machinist (7 yr old boy) could have had an off day, bad casting, machinist hung over, still drunk on tequila, yada yada yada.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:03 AM
yeah I bought a pair. they are both the same. also there's nothing wrong with the slotting, it is the quality of the rotor itself.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:41 PM
okay just so you guys have something to reference to for our cars, here are the ones I got from tirerack. big difference. brembo logo, no cheap incomplete lettering, both sides of the rotor are the same width, and the nice gold finish

you can't really tell from that picture because my camera isn't that good and its kind of dirty but the lettering is much better quality. like comparing a generic made in china item and one that was done in the usa.

can't wait to get my brakes finally changed today. still waiting for my refund from 88 rotors, had their rotors returned / delivered to them on Thursday, still no response. i'll post pictures of them on my car later =]

hope this helps others!! and hope i get my money back x__x

Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Open a paypal dispute if you didn't already. Selling fake brand-name will get them fined by the FTC, not to mention black-balled from about everything.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
woot!! now if only someone would part out their t1r rear disk conversion...

Old 10-25-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I didn't think anything of the seller since it was on honda-tech. We'll see how this goes.
honda tech is know for scams. thats weird they use bremo blank rotors and do "in house machine, slot & drill" on those.

a lot of people are importing fake items and selling as real thing. not saying thats what he is doing but ................

Last edited by redrumm; 10-25-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
they were just 100 shipped for just the rotors so it wasn't too bad. but then they're suppose to be brembo blanks that are machined in house by the company. i've seen the normal brembo blanks go for about $80 a pair. the expensive $170 ones you're talking about are the sport versions that are slotted / drilled by brembo which makes them more expensive. either way I could have gotten real brembo blanks for less, or paying a little more for the sport versions, instead of having these cheap $60 looking rotors.
Where have u seen brembros go for $80 a pair there more like $200 a pair man. When i had a evo which comes with brembros stock for all 4 it was close to $500. Brembo brake pads are more than what u payed for those rotors they don't look bad to me. How do they feel?? But for $100 u should have know they would be knock offs for sure

Old 11-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Just google brembo 25331 and you'll see a bunch of different vendors that sell the brembo blank for about $80-$100.

The company selling on the forum is suppose to be using the brembo blanks, and machining the slots / holes in house.

So its pretty possible for them to sell it for $100 and still be real brembo. Their cost for the rotor would be sitting somewhere below $80 because obviously other vendors sell at that price with enough margin to still make profit. The company would just have to run it through the cnc machine or so then ship.

What they sent were some cheap $50-$60 a pair rotors. I ran on those types before when I needed my brakes changed quickly and didn't have time to order something good. They wear out quickly and need to be resurfaced more often.

Also brembo rotors for our cars are not like $200 a pair, the sport ones I got from tirerack were about $180 after shipping, the drilled ones would have been $170. The new rotors and brake pads are pretty cool. They bite much harder when I need to come to a do a sudden complete stop on the freeway.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I hope u get your issues resolved, sucks