General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New Fit owner, some questions about issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
New Fit owner, some questions about issues

Hi this is my first post and I'm a relatively new Fit owner. I have an 09 Fit Sport Navi with 20K miles on it. I bought it used with 15K on it.

I've had a couple of things that I would like other Fit owners opinion on.

1. when I back out of my spot then put the car in drive I get a loud clunk and it sounds and feels exactly like a loose motor mount. I have had a car in the past that had this problem but this one is different. It's only when I shift from reverse in to drive. Yes I'm probably still rolling backwards very slowly but it will even (sometimes) do it if I'm perfectly still with my foot on the brake. Also once underway it never clunks again, unlike my other car with the broken mount that would clunk everytime you let off the gas or got back on the gas while driving.

2. The windows when rolled down are quite loose and will make an audible banging/rattling when hitting even the smallest bumps. If I grab the top of the window when it's rolled down about 3-4 inches I can deflect it in and out about a half to three quarters of an inch. Is this normal?

3. The transmission seems to hunt and 'slip' between gears excessively. I drive quite gently and this is kinda annoying but I'm more worried that it's possibly a defect. If I get on the gas the shifts are perfect and no slippage occurs. On my commute in the morning there is a very slight hill that I accelerate up and the transmission will hunt back and forth between 3-4 for no obvious reason. My pedal input is steady and the hill is a steady climb at constant speed (25-30 mph)

4. Fuel mileage seems to vary wildly for no reason. I hand calculate every tank and I drive almost exactly the same route every day. My mileage has been as high as 39 and as low as 29. I drive like a granny and very consistent on the pedal.

That's it for now, but don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the car. It's the funnest car I've ever owned and I get compliments about it all the time. I'm very happy with my purchase, I just want to know what others experience has been. Thanks -Jason

Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaseun
2. The windows when rolled down are quite loose and will make an audible banging/rattling when hitting even the smallest bumps. If I grab the top of the window when it's rolled down about 3-4 inches I can deflect it in and out about a half to three quarters of an inch. Is this normal?
idk about the 3/4 in, but they are noisy windows
but look in this thread.
I found it by scrolling down 22 threads (what you don't like about your 2gen fit) and there way a link in the replies.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
3. The transmission seems to hunt and 'slip' between gears excessively. I drive quite gently and this is kinda annoying but I'm more worried that it's possibly a defect. If I get on the gas the shifts are perfect and no slippage occurs. On my commute in the morning there is a very slight hill that I accelerate up and the transmission will hunt back and forth between 3-4 for no obvious reason. My pedal input is steady and the hill is a steady climb at constant speed (25-30 mph).
You could drive in Sport mode, and shift when you want. In Sport mode, it's much less likely to downshift.

4. Fuel mileage seems to vary wildly for no reason. I hand calculate every tank and I drive almost exactly the same route every day. My mileage has been as high as 39 and as low as 29. I drive like a granny and very consistent on the pedal.
The Fit gas tank is under the front seats, which means there is a very long tube between the filler neck and the actual tank. Are you sure you are filling up to the same point each time? I've found that I can usually squeeze at least another gallon into the tank after the first auto shutoff. Over multiple tanks, I suspect you will see mileage average out, but an error of +- a gallon per tank, depending on fill level, is going to calculate to a huge difference in mileage. Get the TSB fix to correct the error in the MPG gauge; after doing this, you will be able to rely on the gauge to give you an accurate figure.