General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cops and fits

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Cool Cops and fits

Any one have any stories about being pulled over in their fits? I have been pulled over 2 times in mine.
The first the officer asked me about my exhaust were I got it did I have a silencer and so on I explaned that I drive on the freeway most of the time and try and stay off the pedel in the city to keep it quieter but I want any extra power I can get for passing and getting out of the way. He said oh I'm not giving you a ticket I just wanted to know were u got it done I have a fit and want to get new exhaust on mine.

And two as I was driving to work tonight I had to go to a house in Victorville the gps took me down a road that got washed out like a year earlyer as I was turning around an officer pulled me over asked me what I was doing and so on he asked if I minded if he serched the car the neior hood had a lot of drug dealers. I said no prob he spent a good 20 mins going though it not even looking for anything but checking it out and asked me if I liked it and what the pros and cons were I think I just sold someone on a fit lol

Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
I think it's the driver more than the car. If you're young, and have done a bunch of highly visible mods, you're cop bait, no matter what you drive. Is this profiling? Maybe. If you're older and have a stock looking Fit, you are more or less invisible to LEOs, unless you're travelling way over the limit, or driving like a squid. I still do the former, have more or less stopped doing the latter. Other than a road block in BC, the only times I've been stopped have been when I was well over the speed limit.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM
I get ur point and agree. But a lot has to do with the car I know everyone is tired of me making references to my other cars but when I drove only my truck ideove it far less then I drive now I drove mabey 25 mile a week. I was stopes 15 times in a year. When I ha a stock looking geo prizm I was never stopes an drove over 100000 last year. But I'm glad I was stopes it means they are paying attn and I'd rather they error on the side of caution. I have never had a bad experence in all 17 times lol. Also get a radar detector best 80$ I ever spent think of it this way is 80$ cheaper than a speeding ticket? Mine saves me like ever other day or so lol

Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't been pulled over yet, but I did get a light flash out of the nice unmarked police officer I overtook because he was doing 15 under teh speed limit and I really had to get to work.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I've never been pulled over in the Fit. But again, it is 100% stock.

Now, if it was modded and flashy thats a whole different story. It doesn't matter what car it is to a degree. But as soon as you start adding the "bling" it attracts the police to pull you over!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crash001
he asked if I minded if he serched the car the neior hood had a lot of drug dealers. I said no prob he spent a good 20 mins going though it not even looking for anything but checking it out and asked me if I liked it and what the pros and cons were I think I just sold someone on a fit lol
Let him shop for a Fit at a dealer like you had to. Never let a cop search your car without a warrant. These two videos show the wrong way and the right way.

YouTube - The WRONG Way to Handle a Police Stop

YouTube - The RIGHT Way to Handle a Police Stop

Flashback to the sixties.

Cheers.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
Ugh, I can't believe you let him search your car. I guess more and more people are giving up their right to privacy. Only time I play nice with cops is when I've done something wrong. If they're just being nosy and wasting my time, then they better move on, cause they're not getting anything out of me!

I've never been pulled over in the fit, surprisingly enough. I'm lowered, smoked led's, and a loud intake. I guess in a college town they're more worried about the drunkies.

And SportMTNavi, I first watched that video like two years ago. While I never have anything to hide, I always follow that protocol, lol. My business is my business!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a good reason to NOT let a cop check your vehicle:

Everyone's talking about this wild story from New York City, in which two men spent 5 days in jail for a bag of coconut candy. The driver consented to a search of his vehicle and both men were arrested after police discovered what they believed was crack cocaine. An officer told the passenger to "shut up" when he insisted it was candy, and the men had to wait in jail for almost a week before lab tests proved their innocence.
In addition to demonstrating the combined arrogance, incompetence, and contempt for innocent people that so often characterizes drug war policing, the story also provides another glaring example of how consenting to police searches can instantly make a bad situation much worse. Pete Guither explains:
Lesson #1: Never, ever, ever, ever, agree to a search. If you’re guilty, you’re helping them catch you. If you’re innocent, you’re wasting your time, you’re taking a chance since they aren’t required to fix anything they break, you’re leaving yourself open for being charged for something you didn’t know about that fell out of a friend’s pocket, and you’ve got the possibility that a couple of morons will think your coconut candy is crack and throw you in jail for a week.
Whether or not refusal prevents the search is beside the point here (although, yes, refusal often prevents the search). Such cases are less likely to be prosecuted, even after evidence is discovered, due to the fact that police and prosecutors do – believe it or not – sometimes recognize a constitutional violation and decline to proceed simply because they don’t want to bring a messy case into the courtroom. Finally, consider how much more impressive a civil suit would look in this case with an illegal search thrown into the mix along with the already-compelling story of spending days in jail over coconut candy.
We'll never know how things would have turned out if these guys had refused the search, but there's no question what happened when they agreed to it.

Taken from flexyourrights.org

Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
Never let a cop search your car without a warrant. These two videos show the wrong way and the right way.

YouTube - The WRONG Way to Handle a Police Stop

YouTube - The RIGHT Way to Handle a Police Stop
I don't have a problem with most police officers. Young cops get a little overly ambitious at times, but some of that could be nerves too. But I completely agree with your search comment. A police officer has to have a darned good reason to go as far as searching your vehicle.

Constitutionally speaking, any officer, agent or official must have a search warrant (unless you're drunk) and must already have suspicion backed by evidence and actually know reasonably sure where a certain item is supposed to be located on or in your property in order to Constitutionally search your property.

Here are your Fourth Amendment [Constitutional] Rights:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

People give their rights away all of the time because they don't know what they're entitled to. (Notice the last part of the amendment -- after the next to last comma) Now, if you just readily give him/her permission, then that's the end of that tune... you voluntarily relinquished your rights.

No harm done, I suppose... given the circumstances. Still, you should know your legal rights as a U.S. citizen... providing you are one.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
Cop: "is this a hybrid?"
Me: "no"
Cop: "I bet it gets like 90 mpg"
Me: "sometimes I get 40"
Cop: "well you know it can do 98 mph, right?"
Me: *silence*
*cop walks to his car*
*walks back*
Cop: "I've given you a warning, I had to indicate that you were only driving 9 mph over the speed limit to do so (the warning says 64 in a 55), drive safe"
Me: "Thank You officer"

I never get anything but warnings when I get pulled over in the fit. I've gotten 3 this year. I never got a single warning when I used to drive the T-Bird. Its like the magic get out of jail free card.

The great part was that after he was done, I explained PNP HID lights to him and he agreed to pull a few over that night

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 02-25-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
I don't have a problem with most police officers. Young cops get a little overly ambitious at times, but some of that could be nerves too. But I completely agree with your search comment. A police officer has to have a darned good reason to go as far as searching your vehicle.

Constitutionally speaking, any officer, agent or official must have a search warrant (unless you're drunk) and must already have suspicion backed by evidence and actually know reasonably sure where a certain item is supposed to be located on or in your property in order to Constitutionally search your property.

Here are your Fourth Amendment [Constitutional] Rights:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

People give their rights away all of the time because they don't know what they're entitled to. (Notice the last part of the amendment -- after the next to last comma) Now, if you just readily give him/her permission, then that's the end of that tune... you voluntarily relinquished your rights.

No harm done, I suppose... given the circumstances. Still, you should know your legal rights as a U.S. citizen... providing you are one.
Most officers say they will not give you a warning unless you admit fault. Saying you're sorry helps too. The only thing more dangerous than a speeding driver or a person who runs a red light is someone who didn't even know (or just wont admit they knew) they were doing it.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 02-25-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM
so did you tell either of the cops about fitfreak.net?? :P

Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
I have been pulled over 5 or 6 times in the Fit. All of them I was being stupid and speeding. Every time I got pulled over I was working so i gave them the same story. "Im sorry, Im working right now and am not quite sure where I am (witch was not all that untrue). Im looking for _____ store, I guess I was really not paying attention to my speed". All but one time the officer would give me a warning tell me to watch my speed then give me directions to the store. The one time I did get a ticket the officer said you where driving 10 over and you also dont have a front plate and then went back to his car. When he came back he handed me the ticket and gave me directions to the store. When I looked at the ticket he only wrote down the speeding and not no front plate

One of the first times i got pulled over the officer asked if the car was a company car, I later lol'ed to my self about that question.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
I have been pulled over 5 or 6 times in the Fit. All of them I was being stupid and speeding. ... The one time I did get a ticket the officer said you where driving 10 over and you also dont have a front plate and then went back to his car.
If you insist on driving around with no front plate with a car registered in a state that requires a front plate, as some people seem on insisting on doing, wouldn't it be wise to keep the front plate in the car with you? Then if someone says something about it, motion to the plate and say "yeah, thanks... the bracket broke and it came off.." or something like that?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
If you insist on driving around with no front plate with a car registered in a state that requires a front plate, as some people seem on insisting on doing, wouldn't it be wise to keep the front plate in the car with you? Then if someone says something about it, motion to the plate and say "yeah, thanks... the bracket broke and it came off.." or something like that?
Actually I think i do now have it in my trunk. Honestly though all those times I have been pulled over that one officer was the only one that mentioned any thing. I have driven pass lots of police with them not even giving me a second look, but if the time ever does come and i do get a ticket then I will take it and pay the fine.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I have never been pulled over in my Fit. My lowered Civic several times.

Why would cops even care about the mini-Odyssey? Pull over the douchebag in the raised truck with HID's in the lamps and in his foglights BLINDING everyone.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
i got pulled over because some dumb lady almost ran me off the road so i honked and she called the cops on me.... well like 7 police cars pull me over i was like "wtf did she say on the phone" but i guess she said she was skared for her life..... the cop was kool but he said he would have shot my friend who is in a completely differnt car... he just gave me a warning and called my car an accord-civic-fit thing hahah it made me laugh

Old 02-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I know I told them about fitfreaks

Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Got pulled over 2 times...

The first time, i was in a residential block driving at a very un significant 45km\h (5 over the speed limit!) and they gave me a warning, explaining that ''Overspeeding is illegal and blahblahblahblah... Then the first thing you'll see is them riding at a VERY illegal 130Km\h on a highway without sirens or flashes!! Do what i told, not what i do!!!!!

The second time was more funny (...stupid?)!! That time i removed the rear seats as a way to save weight! I went to a supermarket to buy beer and got pulled over for a check up.... They were two!! one of them saw the beer at the rear of the car...

Cop! -You know alchoolic beverages must be placed in the trunk?
Me! - Uhhh!! (While watching at the rear of the car!)
Cop - I won't give you a ticket for now but be careful next time!
Me - Thank you! (WTF!!)

All the while the other cop was making a very exhaustive inspection of my car to see if tires were worn out or anything illegal.... On a 3 weeks old car... right!!

Sometimes they are real cool but they also can be stupid as fuck!!!

Marko!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Never been pulled over in my Fit so far, and not a single LEO has even looked twice at me, even with no front plate and yellow foglights. I don't drive like a nut, but I rarely drive the speed limit. My Sentra never got harassed, but my older Civics (94, 95) got me pulled over maybe close to 60 times. Never given an actual ticket, but I got harassed nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Cops and fits