General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

WHAT do you do to improve your gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by 90 DGRZ
don't go off of numbers. most 09's don't have the software update and the MPG meter is overly optimistic. the 010's are more realistic in numbers, so if an 09 owner says they get nearly 40mpg, but you're 010 is sittin there with 28 mpg, don't feel bad.

on my way to frisco, at one point i was at 41 mpg! but or course i probably really wasn't getting that, as my car's an 09.

check the PSI in ur tires, and look good in the slow lane.
mines normaly pessimistic lol but i figure it all out the old school way pen and paper lol

Old 02-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I've already got the little pad and pencil in my car and plan to record every gallon, every fill up and every mile. thanks Crash

Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by mimibici
thanks Selden.
I didn't know it would shift automatically in sport mode. I was experimenting with it today... I will probably get WORSE mileage for a while. When you drive with a real stick shift,you can feel what gear you are in by the angle of the shifter. Not so with those paddles! it will take some getting used to.
3rd to 4th at 30 and 4th to 5th at 40, that's great, that's about where I thought it should be too.\
unfortunately the 2008 doesn't have the instantaneous MPG bar, but I had it in another car so I kindof know what will waste gas.
thanks for the info about the spark plugs...
that air filter sounds interesting though.

Thanks everyone! I feel a little bit more acquainted with my lovely new car.

You may want to have the plugs checked.... It is possible they are fouled and not firing well, however, unlikely.

K&N drop in air filters add marginal HP (2 or so HP, maybe 1 torque), and can improve MPG ****IF**** you do not get excited with performance parts and romp the gas all the time. It does flow better, it can get better mileage, but it also lets more dirt into your intake box. Probably the best attribute of this filter is being able to clean it instead of buying new filters.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
As Konservative said, the K&N filter is made to be cleaned and re-used. The time between cleanings is long, which is good because a broken-in filter will catch more dirt than a brand new one.

I put nearly 40k miles on my K&N filter before cleaning it. The K&N filter oil is much cheaper than buying a new filter.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 AM
I have a 2008.
Ok, I read about VTEC, very cool. Looks like something that kicks in when you are going really fast. I understand the concept.
I read about Torque converters too, and I absolutely understand that's how come you can get an AT to stop while it's in gear. but what I don't know is when is it UNLOCKED.

I am getting mixed messages. I'm being told to not go fast but don't worry about high RPM's what about driving the thing like a stick shift, you know, one two three instead of leaving it in Drive.

and finally mr crash001 (funny, that's my husband's nickname, crash!)
how do you drive like a slinky? hit the gas a little harder WHEN, then cruise you mean use cruise control?

thanks everyone.
distance wise get further away from the car in front then speed up let off the gas a little so u slow down then do it over and over lol it takes a lot of pratice to get it right and I mean a lot of pratice but it's worth learning it also google hypermilling and try some tricks that others have come up with

Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2008.
Ok, I read about VTEC, very cool. Looks like something that kicks in when you are going really fast. I understand the concept.
I read about Torque converters too, and I absolutely understand that's how come you can get an AT to stop while it's in gear. but what I don't know is when is it UNLOCKED.

I am getting mixed messages. I'm being told to not go fast but don't worry about high RPM's what about driving the thing like a stick shift, you know, one two three instead of leaving it in Drive.
It's complicated, which is why we generate so much hot air discussing it.

Generally, with an AT the torque converter is unlocked except at cruising speed in top gear. Try this: in Sport mode, 5th gear (according to the dashboard indicator)constant speed, floor the gas pedal. According to the indicator, you're still in 5th gear, but the engine feels like the transmission just downshifted. The TC just unlocked.

Air resistance increases with the square of velocity, so you get a lot more pushback at 80 mph than at 60.

Generally speaking, an internal combustion operates at greatest volumetric efficiency at or near its torque peak, but, the torque curve for a North American Fit is nearly flat 3000-5000 rpm, so it's difficult to say where the most efficient shift point is in this range -- and it probably doesn't much matter. Throttle position (as little as possible) is probably more important than the actual shift point.

Some people may have a more sensitive right foot than me (esp. since mine is broken at the moment), but in my experience, at highway speeds on flat ground, using the cruise control to control speed via a tap at a time up and down keeps the fuel consumption more constant than using my foot. Hilly country is another matter, as the cruise control can only react, not anticipate. If you are going downhill, you can accelerate gently, and use the momentum to help climb an upcoming hill without depressing the accelerator pedal as much.

Bottom line: drive the thing sensibly and enjoy it. Unless you drive 50,000 miles a year or the price goes over $5 a gallon, gasoline is one of the lesser expenses of owning a car.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I increased the tire pressure to 36 psi. I figure 37-38 mpg in town is pretty darn good, so I haven't done anything else. I'm real happy with what I get.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
if you have an iphone...DL road trip

best app ever

Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
I got tired of the rough ride and rattles and dropped my tire pressure down to 31 front 27 rear..... I think the extra resilience of the lesser amount of pressure has done more than soften my ride quality and has also had a positive influence on my fuel mileage.... I got 37.2 on my last tank which isn't my best but the best I have gotten since putting on my supercharger last May.... I have 187.4 miles on this tank and the fuel gauge shows that I have used 1/4 of a tank......I do always fill to the top of the neck but it is still doing very well.... Unless you are driving on very smooth surfaces a highly inflated tire creates more rolling resistance..... The radial plied sidewalls are supposed to flex to improve fuel mileage and prevent the belted tread from rolling under or lifting off of the road surface in turns, over inflation prevents this from happening and so the radials work no differently than bias ply tires which were known for not rolling as efficiently and giving as good fuel mileage figures as radial ply tires.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I got tired of the rough ride and rattles and dropped my tire pressure down to 31 front 27 rear
In my case since the Fit with 40+ PSI still feels smooth compared to my 94 Sentra SER and 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact before the Fit I owned a 2007 Altima SL for a few months. Its soft boat ride was annoying me. I didn't like thought of ever having to make a quick move in it to save my ass. Fortunately that never happened with it. It could only do so well in the MPG department, given its weight + 2.5 liter, 4 banger and CVT. The only thing I miss about it is it had just about every toy except GPS.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Smile Tire pressure and cruise control

Good Question
Answer for me is tire pressure is at least 40 P.S.I.Yes you get excessive tire wear but you get great M.P.H., Great Performance in Cornering and what the heck, Tires are really not that tough to replace depending on Quality.
Use Cruise Control when ever possible. My fit takes Cruise control even at 35 M.P.H.
That is my answer to the Question.
Good day!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crabbman
Good Question
Answer for me is tire pressure is at least 40 P.S.I.Yes you get excessive tire wear but you get great M.P.H., Great Performance in Cornering and what the heck, Tires are really not that tough to replace depending on Quality.
Use Cruise Control when ever possible. My fit takes Cruise control even at 35 M.P.H.
That is my answer to the Question.
Good day!
Yea, thats right! Replacing over-inflated tires, mounting, balancing and taxes...cause you wear them out faster is MUCH more cost effective than a few less MPG. Stop smoking that wacky weed...!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
I seem to use considerably more fuel since I gave up wacky weed..... I am a lot harder to get along with too but not nearly as fat.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Selden
On the highway, I control speed using the cruise control almost exclusively, and I adjust speed by blipping the CC up or down one blip at a time. On less than flat roads, I try to accelerate gently going downhill, then, using the accumulated velocity, let it slow down gradually while going up hill.
I pretty much do the same. I thought that was the ONLY way to drive!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by donaldbradley
I pretty much do the same. I thought that was the ONLY way to drive!
I heard that VTEC is constantly engaged while in cruise control. Anyone know if that's remotely true?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I heard that VTEC is constantly engaged while in cruise control. Anyone know if that's remotely true?
I don't know, but I wonder if there is some way to determine if it is with a Scan Gauge....I was looking at the way my tires are wearing and it appears that since I have put wheels with 7" rims on my car the increased volume is going to require me to increase the tire pressure due to more wear on the edges.... It could have something to do with vigorous cornering but I would think if that was the cause the wear would be more apparent on the outside edges.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
This may sound weird but when I go faster in the freeway, I get better MPG. Like last saturday after the Wilson Park meet when I was driving home, I was going 80-90mph and I got over 37mpg!!!! Maybe it's because I have enough momentum to go over the uphill areas without giving it too much gas. Now if I were to go 70mph, then I bet I would have lost mpg.

Note:Most of the drivers were going the same speed as me so I wasn't driving recklessly as some of ya'll might assume

Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
i drive slow.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
walk more.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
This may sound weird but when I go faster in the freeway, I get better MPG. Like last saturday after the Wilson Park meet when I was driving home, I was going 80-90mph and I got over 37mpg!!!! Maybe it's because I have enough momentum to go over the uphill areas without giving it too much gas. Now if I were to go 70mph, then I bet I would have lost mpg.

Note:Most of the drivers were going the same speed as me so I wasn't driving recklessly as some of ya'll might assume
tail wind?
you didn't mention what mpg you got on the way there

Quick Reply: WHAT do you do to improve your gas mileage?