General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Check gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Unhappy Check gas cap

Any one having problems with the gas cap sensor going off to check gas cap?
Even after unscrewing and retighten it still goes off .
Guess will have to take to dealer.

Last edited by jack_90125; 05-25-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Master FitFreaker
take it bakc and get it under warranty

Old 05-25-2006, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
I know with other cars sometimes it takes a little while to reset. Maybe even a day. If it doens't turn off by then definitely take it in.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jack_90125
Any one having problems with the gas cap sensor going off to check gas cap?
Even after unscrewing and retighten it still goes off .
Guess will have to take to dealer.
According to page 67 in the Owner's Manual:

If your fuel fill cap is loose or missing, a ‘‘CHECK FUEL CAP’’ message appears as text in the information display after you start the engine. The message appears from CHECK to FUEL, then to CAP repeatedly.

Turn the engine off and confirm the fuel fill cap is installed. If it is, loosen the cap, then retighten it until it clicks at least once. You can cycle the message off of the display by pressing the Select/Reset knob repeatedly, but this message will be displayed each time the engine is started. It will take several days of normal driving for the vehicle to turn the warning off.

If the system still detects a loose or missing fuel fill cap, the malfunction
indicator lamp (MIL) comes on. Turn the engine off, and check or retighten the fuel fill cap until it clicks at least once. The MIL goes out after several days of normal driving once the cap is tightened or replaced. If it does not go out, have your dealer inspect the vehicle.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Same thing happened to me yesterday

I went out to my car at noon yesterday to drive to lunch with a friend when this started happening on my Fit. I did re-tighten the fuel cap, but the message didn't clear.

That afternoon I called a Honda dealer's service department and told them about it. They said it should go off eventually. Last night I read the Owner's Manual and that's what it said too.

I'll continue to drive it through this weekend. If it doesn't stop that message I'm taking it in.

I've read on other forums that lots of people experience this on other model Hondas and other makes as well. Sometimes the sensor is triggered by a low fuel level in the tank or by a large temperature change. (Yesterday I saw both.)

In some cases it is caused by a real problem: a faulty gas cap that doesn't seal properly, a bad sensor, or some other pressure leak in the fuel system.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Take your car to Autozone and ask them to put their scan tool on it and clear the codes from memory. If there is still a problem it will come right back on. If there is no problem the message should quit flashing. Disconnecting your battery cables, ground first, then psoitive, then reconnect will clear fault codes also.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Smile CHECK FUEL CAP - follow-up/resolution

This was the second day after that message came on. I had tightened the thing and drove normally back and forth to work 2 days and then filled up again this afternoon. The warning message was really bugging me so I called the dealer that I bought it from to see if they had any ideas. They told me that if I brought it in within 30 minutes they'd put me first in line.

I took it right over to Vann York Honda and sure 'nough the guy I talked to waved me right in to the garage area. Their staff seemed in a jovial mood before the holiday weekend and looked as though their daily workload had been whittled down already. Everyone was waiting for 5:30 to roll around. Anyway the Service Manager and a mechanic immediately started diagnostics on my car while I stood by and chatted with the Service Writer. A few other people came over and talked with me (employees and other Honda owners). Everyone was admiring the Fit and the color asking: "How do you like it?", "How is the handling ?", "How's the gas mileage?", "Is it smooth riding?", etc. This little visit gave me a favorable impression of the dealership's service department since I really hadn't dealt with them yet.

I glanced over at my Fit and saw the Service Manager plug a small laptop computer into some receptacle under the dash. He was talking to the mechanic while the engine was running and I saw the mechanic open and then close the gas cap during their test.

After about 10 minutes the Manager approached me and said there was nothing seriously wrong with my Fit. Neither the fuel system vacuum nor the sensor nor the gas cap were faulty. He said that if I had not sufficiently tightened the gas cap 1 time after a fill up it was enough to trip the sensor. His diagnostic check cleared the error. He told me in the future to turn the cap until it clicks SEVERAL times (10 or 20 just to make sure). Over-doing it won't hurt a thing.

Anyway, I'm back to driving without that annoying message on the screen and happier than ever with my Fit. I just posted a new MPG update (36.85 MPG) which also made me happy.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:59 AM
novel concept, reading the manual

Old 05-27-2006, 01:00 AM
DOOD, thanks!