General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

First (?) Alaska Fit Freak

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up First (?) Alaska Fit Freak

I finally took delivery of my new Blue Sensation Sport today. I thought I was never going to get out of the dealership. I almost said, "Enough! Just give me the keys!" Going over pages of the manual, etc. As if I've never owned a car before?

Prices are a bit higher up here due to the extra shipping, so my total was just a hair over $20k. I had the dealership put the 3M "clear bra" on it before I picked it up, which they included in the price of the car.

It has been a long wait as I saw the car on the dealer's paperwork the day before it was scheduled to be built, April 8th. I put a deposit on it and just patiently waited until today. Finally! It actually wasn't due in until early June. I don't know how it got here so fast. It was even ready on a day with great weather, which is an exception in this city.

The only weird part of the sale was that the Finance lady was a biotch. She was pissy because A) I paid in full instead of financing it, B) I didn't get an extended warranty, C) I didn't take any of their under-body rust protection and D) I didn't buy any accessories.

The dealership had no issues giving me the TPMS sensor numbers. The service department just pulled them from the documentation and gave them to me on a piece of paper. I had given them a copy of the ATEQ web site showing the QuickSet device, which they seemed fascinated by.

Since I noticed, thanks to Google, that today was the 30th anniversary of the Pacman game, I think I'm going to name my little blue Fit "Pacman", even though Pacman was yellow.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Way to go - a bit pricey but you guys up there are use to that it seems. If you came out w/ a clear bra you did good. Don't let the Finance Lady get ya - she's history. You're working with the service crew and they sound cool. Enjoy your ride - how's that color look in that clear Alaskan air???
K_C

Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, K_C! The Finance was really a mess. Visually and professionally. I'm not into women, so I might make this sound worse than it was, but when women wear mini-skirts and high heels, don't they usually wear stockings to cover their pale, blotchy legs? haha! And the fried hair...OMG.

I really like the color. To be honest, I never actually saw the color on the car when I decided to buy it. I had originally wanted the Orange car, but it had just sold. The only other Fit color I could work with is the dark blue. It's a tiny bit towards purple, but it's do-able.

So far today has been one of our "exception" days. You know, when the Exception is shining and the birds are singing? I have some errands to do today before the "usuals" roll in and try to rain, but this will be fun.

My first modification is definitely going to be the accelerator pedal. That thing is way too light for my shaky foot. Time for visit 1,025,382 to Home Depot this year.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome! Too bad they can't ship those to a port up there, especially since it's so much closer to Japan, but it makes no sense from a corporate standpoint. That 3M bra is worth a bit (I'd say $300-500?) and all things considered (not able to really shop around that much or get out of state) you will have to decide whether or not the deal is something you are happy with. I don't know anything about Alaska's retail market.

Either way, you have an awesome car now. Enjoy the good weather. To enhance your trip, I suggest doing what I consider mandatory for every new Fit owner, and that is to set the radio controls to -2 bass, +1 treble and R1. Then roll the windows down and crank to 25-30.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
The clear bra may be worth $300 ~ $500, but the dealership charges $700! Total mark-up job. The market for cars here is doing very well. The Honda dealership is huge but barely has anything to sell for some reason. I guess they're getting 80 cars from other dealerships next month.

Wow, that's a really precise requirement for a cruise. But you left out one detail: Which song?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
Wow, that's a really precise requirement for a cruise. But you left out one detail: Which song?
Haha, I guess that does sound a little strange, but someone on here actual ran a spectrum analysis on those settings, and it's nice and flat. It opened my eyes, and as a new owner, I'm just relaying some of the things I went through recently with getting everything dialed in.

Which song? My ultimate suggest; the engine.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
I know everyone has seen what a Fit looks like, so here's a picture of what a Fit looks like in a little place I call Home.

Name:  FFFit1.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  FFFit2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  FFFit3.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  110.0 KB

Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
I love Alaska, very jealous. What do you do up there?

Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
I do IT work at a children's behavioral health agency. Probably the best IT job in the world. Fun, little-to-no stress, good benefits. I've lived here since I was a little kid, so almost 30 years.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:11 AM
This is the first time I can say that I love that color. Under that sky - wide open space - absolutely gorgeous!!! Enjoy enjoy enjoy and come on back with winter tails.
K_C

Old 05-23-2010, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
I see quite a few of this color on the road here. Looks awesome with a good coat of wax. Those pics are beautiful.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Banned
Sorry you're not the first FitFreak from Alaska

Welcome though

Old 05-23-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
Sorry you're not the first FitFreak from Alaska

Welcome though
Ooh, how many others? I've tried to find them, but no such luck.

I did add a spring to stiffen the accelerator pedal. Now it's much more comfortable.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
I did add a spring to stiffen the accelerator pedal. Now it's much more comfortable.
More info on that springy thingy???
K_C_

Old 05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
gbaby, you're very abrasive.

I think there was a girl from alaska, can't remember her sn though.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Well it's true though, most fit owners don't really come to these forums. Most people just drive the car and it's just a transportation. We are car enthusiasts here.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
More info on that springy thingy???
K_C_
Sure! I did this right away because I sometimes have trouble holding my foot steady and the light pedal also causes my leg to ache. (Oh, getting old is awesome.)

I bought a four-pack of springs at Home Depot. (A bit overkill, but at least I used half of them.) The package is beige with an orange stripe and the number 759 541 in the top right corner. They cost me $4.58, no tax, but if you have sales tax it would probably cost you about the same.

I attached the two larger springs together. The hooks are closed fairly tight, so I just jammed a key in the hook itself to pry it open. One end of the spring goes into the hole on the OBD mount and the other goes to a funky "P" clamp I had laying around. (See pictures below.) The "P" clamp is lined with rubber and has a screw and nut to hold it closed. I was able to get the screw and nut to go through the hook of the spring so that it would be held securely.

This makes a world of difference. The "P" clamp is something I bought years ago from Lowe's. It couldn't cost very much. I find that my foot touches the spring once in a while, but not in a way that would cause a problem.

Name:  FFSpring.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  FFSpring2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  110.1 KB

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
By the way, do all Fits have a rubbery liner on the carpet of the driver's side? I hadn't noticed it in anyone else's photos before. I want to get the "Digital Fit" mats, anyway. Just curious!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by baylorbro
gbaby, you're very abrasive.

I think there was a girl from alaska, can't remember her sn though.
There was britt and another fellow I can't remember his name

and Dude you hated on somebody who just totaled his Fit that's worse

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah cuz he brought up the whole GE thing. So immature. That said, I stooped to his level. I just can't stand the arrogance of some of the established "elite" on this board. Ray being one of them.

Quick Reply: First (?) Alaska Fit Freak