General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Window Tint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Window Tint Questions

I am getting my windows tinted by dealer at no charge because I complained about the finance manager & how she rushed me through the process.

Some cars have the back & rear windows tinted darker than the driver & passenger windows, rather than the same all around. I am considering doing this since it might help me see better out of the windows at night.

Advice? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I did 35% rear 5 windows w/ 5% 7" strip across top of windscreen. Out in your neck of the woods I would go 25 or 30 on rear and 70% front plus the windscreen strip - but check state law if you're concerned. As long as the law can see into the front of the vehicle you shouldn't have a problem, but that's your choice.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Colorado & Window Tint

Colorado law allows 27% for all windows except front windshield & that cannot be tinted except for the top 4 inches.

What I would like to know is there any advantage or disadvantage to having the driver & passenger windows tinted less--say 50% or have it darker i.e.- the same as the rear and hatch windows?
Does tinting darker affect night time visibility?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I would go with the same all around for a more clean look. 35% is a good tint its dark enough but light enough to be able to see. I do suggest the strip across the front windsheld as well helps with glare from the sun that the visors would not catch

Old 07-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
Does tinting darker affect night time visibility?
You bet it does. Keep that in mind. I also prefer the look - rear half darker than the front. First thing I did was tint my ride, but I wish I knew enough and tinted the way I suggested. Next I installed OEM door visors on the front doors only. Compliments the look and provides functionality of having door visors. The rear windows are never opened - no need for visors, plus the way they do open defeats the purpose in my mind.

K_C_

EDIT: On that huge windscreen a 7" strip takes it to the top of the rear view mirror mount - I would go there, I seriously doubt you'll have a problem and you'll notice it will look crappy otherwise. "It eeez not how you feel but how you looook."

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 07-04-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you do a lot of night time driving darker tint in the rear is amazing...blocks out/dims the peoples headlights behind you so your rearview doesn't blind you to death. Can take a peek in the tint % thread and get an idea how dark 25% is. I'm 50 fronts 5 rears.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks all--I will go with a tad lighter for the front two windows & darker in rears & hatch-- I have poor night time vision so want to be able to see out the sides as much as I can. Will love having the hatch window darker since I am really bothered by bright lights at night.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
i just tinted my windows last week, and i can say that after having three days of 95 degree weather in a row, the tint i got was perfect. i did the same 50% all the way around (minus windshield) before i get flamed let me explain : first - i tinted for interior UV protection formost, second - i tinted for legallity (sp) and i most likely will be moving to cali in the near future and didnt want to cause any problems there, third - Heat cutting properties = the film i got was made to cut HEAT transfer thru the tint by 80% (if i roll the window down in direct sunlight halfway and put my arm in half direct sunlight and half in the tinted section, it is AMAZING the amount of difference) oh and for those doubters its the same if i feel the differences between the untinted factory windshield and the tinted small window up front on the same arm.
at any rate i like the same tint all the way around as i think it looks classy and not like your trying to hide something ( have a friend that as a youth he was busted for theft and he said he always looked for cars with tint first cause if they have money for tint they probably have money for sterio equipment, and i pods in their center console)
ask the tint shop the law in your state and ask for the tint that blocks heat the best, all tint blocks heat to an extent but this new stuff blocks at a lighter shade and looks nicer IMHO
wow after writing this i should do a photo shoot and post a couple more pics with the tint on my "classy" mugen fit
OP you should change the thread to "post up your side shot tint pics" that will help you decide!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
You bet it does. Keep that in mind. I also prefer the look - rear half darker than the front. First thing I did was tint my ride, but I wish I knew enough and tinted the way I suggested. Next I installed OEM door visors on the front doors only. Compliments the look and provides functionality of having door visors. The rear windows are never opened - no need for visors, plus the way they do open defeats the purpose in my mind.

K_C_

EDIT: On that huge windscreen a 7" strip takes it to the top of the rear view mirror mount - I would go there, I seriously doubt you'll have a problem and you'll notice it will look crappy otherwise. "It eeez not how you feel but how you looook."

I'd like to see how the front only door visors look on your Fit- got a photo?

thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd like to see how the front only door visors look on your Fit- got a photo?

thanks!
I'm working on that - washed the FIT this AM, gave it a little shine this afternoon. Might take off early tomorrow morning to beat the heat [92F] and take some shots in a pretty place. ;-)

K_C__thanks you_sooz_

Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Sooznd here's a few pictures I took this AM- after the fog lifted.

As I said - the rear windows are 'never' open and you can just make out the windscreen strip. Keep cool.

K_C_

Old 07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice- thanks for posting. It has been cool & rainy here--55 degrees now--I feel for all the Easterners & that dang heat wave.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Very nice- thanks for posting. It has been cool & rainy here--55 degrees now--I feel for all the Easterners & that dang heat wave.
It is killer, though it'll break by Friday. Then we'll loose the humidity and get temps down into the mid/low 80's.

So how are you going to tint?

Congrats on getting a freebe. I tried all my tricks and got squat. Even took it to the sales manager, al I wanted was floor mats. I did come out with a $100 check from Honda, however. The dealer had an offer that if you closed your deal before 11AM you got $100. I think they meant to 'work it in', but we all forgot until I reminded the sales guy and the bottom line was already closed.

K_C_

Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I would suggest doing 20% all the way around. with a tint strip in the front but watch out for going past the AS1 number because some assholes will fail you for inspection for that (atleast in VA). dont get different % tints, try to stick with the same.. it has a better look/flow. IMO

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
35% all around for me
i was considering a dimmer rear but i like people to see me give them the thank you wave...or birdie

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
tinting

In Colorado you can legally do 27% except for windshield. Since I have poor night vision, I am considering 50% front windows and 35% for the rear and hatch.

I hope they give me a choice given that its a freebie.

Are there preset %' s of tint on the film, or can I pick what I want?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
In Colorado you can legally do 27% except for windshield. Since I have poor night vision, I am considering 50% front windows and 35% for the rear and hatch.

I hope they give me a choice given that its a freebie.

Are there preset %' s of tint on the film, or can I pick what I want?
The film comes in set %'s representing the amount of light they will transmit. 5, 20, 35, 40, 50, 70 are typical. Keep in mind the windows in your car are already tinted. I would go 70% on the fronts and you'll end up with something close to 50%. That's what I wish I had done to help cut the day times rays. Don't forget the windscreen strip - 5% 7" wide. Look close at the rear view mirror mount. There's also a poka-dot pattern there. I think you'll want to cover the dots and be shy of the mount - that's about 7", a straight cut across the windscreen.

It costs no more to vary the %'s on your car. It's all computer cut film done off the role for your model/year ride. A $200+ value BTW...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the good info Krimson.

Do you think I will be ok visibility wise with 35% rear & hatch windows?

Will 70% be dark enough for the fronts? I'd like to install the oem door visors so that should help with bright sun on the driver side window..
The regular visors are pretty worthless & don't do squat. The only use I have for them is holding the sun shade in place.

Has anyone replaced those with wider & more useful visors?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the good info Krimson.

Do you think I will be ok visibility wise with 35% rear & hatch windows?

Will 70% be dark enough for the fronts? I'd like to install the oem door visors so that should help with bright sun on the driver side window..
The regular visors are pretty worthless & don't do squat. The only use I have for them is holding the sun shade in place.

Has anyone replaced those with wider & more useful visors?
I think you'll be fine visibility wise. Rear is close to the way SUV's are tinted out of the factory. The fronts will benefit by a big cut in the UV and solar gain. Thing you don't want IMHO is the fronts too dark to contrast heavily with that huge windscreen.

Once you put those OEM door visors on you'll be golden. As far as the sun visors you're dead on - worthless. I only use them when driving into the sun at those AM/PM hours. No replacements I'm aware of. That 5% tint strip answers a big part of your concern.

Pics when you're done_

K_C_