General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Carrying small mobility scooter in Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Carrying small mobility scooter in Fit

I have a 2009 Fit Sport.
I am trying to rig something in the back to carry a small mobility scooter (about 100 lbs.) I am getting mixed signals about whether to try a winch that picks up the scooter and puts it into the back of the car, or to have trailer hitch & wing-gate kind of thing with a platform attached. Simplest solution would be best.
Any suggestions???

-A fit lady

Old 10-26-2010, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
YouTube - CM HONDA CITY
I want a turbo one (tried a a cabriolet, it's rubbish), same power as a fit, hundreds of pounds lighter.

Last edited by broody; 10-27-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by fitrack56
I have a 2009 Fit Sport.
I am trying to rig something in the back to carry a small mobility scooter (about 100 lbs.) I am getting mixed signals about whether to try a winch that picks up the scooter and puts it into the back of the car, or to have trailer hitch & wing-gate kind of thing with a platform attached. Simplest solution would be best.
Any suggestions???

-A fit lady
you could have some sorta custom folding ramp made, out of plywood, hinges etc.. to get it in the car. Or you could just do the hitch set-up

Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
make sure you anchor that thing once inside... you dont want a 100lbs trajectory during an accident hitting your heads.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
I thought The Fit was a small mobility scooter?

Anyway, without knowing the measurements, dimensions, weight of the "small" mobility scooter inwhich you are talking, it's hard to offer a definitive opinion. For it's size The Fit is an amazing hauler but mobility scooters really vary.....

I think the key, is for you to keep in mind that whatever solution you choose, ramp, winch, or tailgate option...it has to be something you feel comfortable using.

Also, weight would really be a key. Some of those mobility scooters can be very heavy. I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer" but there might not be any simple solution. Keep in mind that if you use a tailgate attachment, it will intefere with your hatchback useage, as well as putting potentially a lot of weight on your rear suspension. Also if it is on the outside, it's exposed to the enviroment.

My mother is in a nursing home and I've seen a lot of different set ups for wheelchair transportation. I know I'm talking full sized electrics..I've seen tailgate, attachments and platforms...but never one installed on a vehicle as small as The Fit. I suppose if it's light enough it could work.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
If the scooter is small enough, you might consider getting it in through a side door. You wouldn't have to lift up and over the bumper that way, and you might even be able to devise some sort of lift or winch that either uses the open door for support, or perhaps a roof rack. Think of just the rear bar of a roof rack with the horizontal bar and a winch telescoping on a track out along side the car. It's probably way too much load for the roof, but an interesting option otherwise.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
What kind of scooter is it? Posting a picture would help. Have you considered making a homemade ramp? A hitch will preserve your Fit's interior so I would suggest that.