General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What have you fit into your Fit? I need cargo space

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
What have you fit into your Fit? I need cargo space

First time posting here, so hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy a Honda Fit because it looks like it will be perfect for what my girlfriend needs it for. She is an upholsterer and needs to move furniture from client's houses to her workshop. As you can imagine, she is only going to be moving the small pieces herself, such as wingback chairs and maybe a small love seat (I have one next to me that I think would fit). Anything that is larger than that, she'd have to have someone move it for her anyway.

So what I'm trying to find out is what you have been able to get into your Fit, and get an idea of what is reasonable to expect. I've seen pictures of someone packing it with bicycles including a tandem which is amazing. I'd love to see any pictures anyone else has. I think a single wingback chair would be easy. I think two might be able to get in there depending on the angles.

So... what have you fit into your Fit?

Old 01-01-2011, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
There's a couple of pics in this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-your-fit.html

Old 01-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by teriaki
First time posting here, so hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy a Honda Fit because it looks like it will be perfect for what my girlfriend needs it for. She is an upholsterer and needs to move furniture from client's houses to her workshop. As you can imagine, she is only going to be moving the small pieces herself, such as wingback chairs and maybe a small love seat (I have one next to me that I think would fit). Anything that is larger than that, she'd have to have someone move it for her anyway.

So what I'm trying to find out is what you have been able to get into your Fit, and get an idea of what is reasonable to expect. I've seen pictures of someone packing it with bicycles including a tandem which is amazing. I'd love to see any pictures anyone else has. I think a single wingback chair would be easy. I think two might be able to get in there depending on the angles.

So... what have you fit into your Fit?
Hi teriaki,

I just measured my FIT and here are the interior dimensions in case you and your girl friend need to know specifically if your cargo will fit in the FIT

Hope it helps other potential FIT buyers as well

Ric

Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
oops sorry to have forgotten to mention about the cargo weight limit for FIT.

The owner's manual says the maximum load for the FIT (driver, passengers and cargo combined) is 850 lbs

To obtain the max cargo load, subtract 850 lbs from the weight of the driver.

If you weigh 180 lbs and your girl friend weighs 120 lbs and both of you are in the FIT, then the remaining weight you can load your FIT will be 850 lbs - 300 lbs = 550 lbs

You can also fold the back seats (magic seats) backwards for smaller items. The passenger doors can be opened to the angle of almost 90 degrees against the car body to facilitate cargo loading if you wish to load from the sides. Very few vehicles or none at all can do that. FIT is lower for easy loading. You need not have to go through the effort to lift your love seat high to load as in other bigger higher SUVs. Reduce back strain from my experience

Hope the cargo capacity and dimensions of the FIT will suit you and your girlfriend needs and make you incline to buy a FIT and join our FIT family... we look forward to that!... and if the size and dimensions of the FIT fits your needs, the icing on the cake, it cost about $35 to $38 for a full tank fuel up versus $60 to $80 for bigger vehicles

Ric

Last edited by Ric01; 01-01-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Wow Ric, that's amazing work! That's exactly what I needed. That and the pictures from that other thread.

It looks like with the furniture she works on, as long as it fits through the portal (as I've been calling it), it'll fit inside the car.

I'm also psyched that I'll be buying a used one, and that will actually have what appears to be a slightly better "Magic Seat" where the front seat lies flatter. I haven't seen it yet in person, but we're just thinking all the room we can get.

Unbelievable. Someone randomly at a party last night said to check it out. I couldn't believe it when I started looking today.

Thanks again!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Happy to hear the dimensions helped you in some ways teriaki,

Sorry I can't provide comparative dimensions with other years FIT pre-owned model as I have no access to other years models and mine is a 2010. I hope other forum members with other years model can help out

Ric

Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
oops sorry to mention about the cargo weight limit for FIT.

The owner's manual says the maximum load for the FIT (driver, passengers and cargo combined) is 850 lbs

To obtain the max cargo load, subtract 850 lbs from the weight of the driver.

If you weigh 180 lbs and your girl friend weighs 120 lbs and both of you are in the FIT, then the remaining weight you can load your FIT will be 850 lbs - 300 lbs = 550 lbs
The funny thing is everything is pretty light! A wingback chair or love seat is pretty light. What takes up a ton of space actually weighs almost nothing -- foam and dacron! All of that foam inside of your furniture comes in giant rolls and takes up a lot of space. From everything I've seen she could pickup a chair or whatever she's working on, stop by her supplier and still get a giant roll of foam in. Unreal.

You can also fold the back seats (magic seats) backwards for smaller items. The passenger doors can be opened to the angle of about 90 degrees against the car body to facilitate cargo loading if you wish to load from the sides. Very few vehicles or none at all can do that
This just gets better and better. One of the biggest problems getting things in can simply be the angles, especially with this furniture. Again, sold.

Hope the cargo capacity and dimensions of the FIT will suit you and your girlfriend needs and make you incline to buy a FIT and join our FIT family... we look forward to that!... and if the size and dimensions of the FIT fits your needs, the icing on the cake, it cost about $35 to $38 for a full tank fuel up versus $60 to $80 for bigger vehicles
We have to go test a few out, but she's sold after seeing the pictures. The oven, washer, lumber, and water heater (!!) pictures did it. Unless there is some fatal flaw, we're going to get one. Not to mention it's a Honda engine that we'll get about a billion miles out of.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Good luck in your test drives of the FIT and do let us know how it turns out

I totally agree with your comments about the reliable Honda Engine... one more good news.. the FIT is totally made in JAPAN.. direct import from JAPAN... assembled in JAPAN.. and they container shipped the whole FIT to the US!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
or you could get one of these. My Fit driveway buddy - The Hemi.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 6458
Size:  90.7 KB

We got cargo space. A 4 x 8 will fit. In this pic only the third row seating is stored in floor. It makes a nice change from the Fit.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 10331
Size:  40.2 KB

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 AM
The the OP, welcome to the site. Anyways check out the picture thread that clicq posted. You'll be amazed what you can fit in the Fit. Honda Fit is not called Fit for nothing

Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
teriyaki is spelled with a "y"...

Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 PM
If you want more room but want something fuel efficient too, check out the Mazda 5. My wife has one and it kind of reminds me of a longer Fit.

Mazda5 interior/cargo flexibility photos