General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tire Help !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Question Tire Help !!

I need to replace the original tires that came on my 2009 Fit Sport, they were Dunlops. I've done alot of research on tires for this car and found that the best ones are Hankook Ventus V2 H437. I spoke to Hankook today and the next shipment won't even arrive in the states until September. So now Im at a loss as what to do. I need tires, but dont want to spend a whole lot since I plan on getting the Hankooks, but they may be delayed even later than September. I want to stick with the original size of 185-55-16. What would be the BEST tires for this car? Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Only Dunlop & Bridgestone make tires in the stock size, and they are impossible to find in stock. Tire Rack carries them. I upgraded to 205/50/16 when my stock dunflops wore down. You can find lots of tires (& better quality than the OEM brands/size) almost anywhere in that size.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
The stock dunlops are junk! I also went with 205/50/16's! I am very happy with my continental extreme dw! The car handles so much better and rides smoother too, plus you only gain 1lb at each corner with the continental's over the stock 185/55/16 dunlops! Tire rack has rave reviews on the extreme contact dw tires! Hope my feedback helps!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks
any other help I can get?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Are you having any problems with the TPMS or ABS on the larger sized tires? Most places don't want to sell me a larger tire for "liability reasons". They say the larger size will mess up the TPMS and ABS...

Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brad224728
Are you having any problems with the TPMS or ABS on the larger sized tires? Most places don't want to sell me a larger tire for "liability reasons". They say the larger size will mess up the TPMS and ABS...
size change wont affect TPMS (based on air pressure) and ABS (based on lock sensor dynamics).

take your wheels in loose off the car (remove center cap) and they can mount it no issue.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 PM
ski
5 Year Member
The speedometer, and possibly the ABS, will get messed up if the replacement tires have a larger diameter than the factory tires. They may also rub the inside of the wheel well during cornering, and when traveling over bumps and potholes especially when the vehicle is fully loaded.
I recently had 205/50-16's(same diameter as the factory 185/55-16's) installed on my 09 Fit Sport, and have absolutely no problems with either the speedometer, the ABS, or rubbing(or the TPMS).
However, the mpg may suffer slightly with the 205/50-16's because of their increased rolling inertia due to their greater weight, and their increased road friction and drag due to their wider tread. But the slightly lower mpg will be far outweighed by the longer life I get out of the new tires(560 treadware rating/60K mile warranty vs. 340 treadware rating/21K actual miles for the factory tires).

Last edited by ski; 05-02-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 PM
I echo what has been said again, though finding the right tire in 205/50R16s can be a challenge as well. One of my conti extreme DWS tires developed a bubble in the sidewall. Closest one was in texas. Took 4 days to get it.

I have since purchase a full size spare. Set me back $100 at discount tire for a 14" steelie and tire. Now, the car won't be laid up. Donuts suck.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ski
The speedometer, and possibly the ABS, will get messed up if the replacement tires have a larger diameter than the factory tires. They may also rub the inside of the wheel well during cornering, and when traveling over bumps and potholes especially when the vehicle is fully loaded.
I recently had 205/50-16's(same diameter as the factory 185/55-16's) installed on my 09 Fit Sport, and have absolutely no problems with either the speedometer, the ABS, or rubbing(or the TPMS).
However, the mpg may suffer slightly with the 205/50-16's because of their increased rolling inertia due to their greater weight, and their increased road friction and drag due to their wider tread. But the slightly lower mpg will be far outweighed by the longer life I get out of the new tires(560 treadware rating/60K mile warranty vs. 340 treadware rating/21K actual miles for the factory tires).
i think the question was larger as in wider like how you got 205/50/16 vs 185/55/16.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
ski
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think the question was larger as in wider like how you got 205/50/16 vs 185/55/16.
That may be. However, generalized terms like "larger tire", "larger size", and "size change" can be easily misinterpreted as referring to tires with different diameters.
I was simply trying to make sure everyone was on the same wavelength by explaining the different results that occur when varying a tire's diameter versus varying only its width.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ski
That may be. However, generalized terms like "larger tire", "larger size", and "size change" can be easily misinterpreted as referring to tires with different diameters.
I was simply trying to make sure everyone was on the same wavelength by explaining the different results that occur when varying a tire's diameter versus varying only its width.
good call!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 PM
i think Walmart's tire center carries Dunlop brand if i'm not mistaken. I was told by Tirebarn the best made for mine was Toyo but never had an issue out of any brand i've ever used in my years of driving.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
2009 Sport. Replaced the originals (Bridgestones) with Bridgestone Touranzas today. Honda has a "program" with Tire Rack (get them cheap and sell them high). They ordered them. Huge improvement. Much less noise. We'll see if they wear any better.

I needed wiper blades (not in stock) and an oil change (which they "forgot" to do). I also needed some touchup paint (not in stock) and an alignment (steering wheel not quite centered). And what kind of Honda dealer doesn't wash a car before returning it to the owner? That would be the Honda dealer in Galesburg.

Tires sure feel better though. Going to do some serious cross-country soon and will appreciate the new rubber.

Looking for a better dealer in Forgottonia.

Cheers

Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Count yourself lucky if the dealer doesn't wash your car. Most dealers swirl the paint as part of their washing or "detailing" and not just Honda dealers.

We haven't faced the replacement tire issue yet but based on current availability I'd go with the Bridgestone Potenzas if sticking to the stock size but more likely 205/60-16 Continentals.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ej96hatch
The stock dunlops are junk! I also went with 205/50/16's! I am very happy with my continental extreme dw! The car handles so much better and rides smoother too, plus you only gain 1lb at each corner with the continental's over the stock 185/55/16 dunlops! Tire rack has rave reviews on the extreme contact dw tires! Hope my feedback helps!
Even my wife thinks the Dunlops are junks! Lot's of flats, poor tread life. Terrible in the snow as well. I'm thinking if the Conti's also. Out of the 3 tires I am considering, they are the most money, but they seem to get rave snow reviews, as well as dry/wet.

Have you noticed any decrease in gas mileage with these in 205-50-16 size (over stock Dunlops)?

John

Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 PM
EDU
sorry guys dont mean to threadjack but if any of you guys have a 185 55 16 tire for sale lmk, i need one for my fit.
thank you.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitJR
Even my wife thinks the Dunlops are junks! Lot's of flats, poor tread life. Terrible in the snow as well. I'm thinking if the Conti's also. Out of the 3 tires I am considering, they are the most money, but they seem to get rave snow reviews, as well as dry/wet.

Have you noticed any decrease in gas mileage with these in 205-50-16 size (over stock Dunlops)?

John
I didn't notice any decrease in mpg's. The only difference besides overall diameter is the conti extreme dw 205/50's weigh 1 pound more than the stock dunlops. Im still very happy with my purchase of the contis plus I got a free flip camera thing with a promotion through tire rack.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Count yourself lucky if the dealer doesn't wash your car. Most dealers swirl the paint as part of their washing or "detailing" and not just Honda dealers.

We haven't faced the replacement tire issue yet but based on current availability I'd go with the Bridgestone Potenzas if sticking to the stock size but more likely 205/60-16 Continentals.
I make it a point with the service writer and the mechanic not to have my car washed. I also removed the plastic from the car after it was dropped off from the rail yard before I took delivery, and I have been the only person who has washed the fit. No scratches anywhere of any kind (knock on wood) and she has 24xxx miles on her so far.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
I make it a point with the service writer and the mechanic not to have my car washed. I also removed the plastic from the car after it was dropped off from the rail yard before I took delivery, and I have been the only person who has washed the fit. No scratches anywhere of any kind (knock on wood) and she has 24xxx miles on her so far.
It's fine that you are particular about caring for your Fit. I'm not that particular. Anyone who wants to wash our car may do so. Honda/Acura dealers typically return the car with a wash and I appreciate that. When I didn't get that service it makes me look around for other options. There are three dealers around here. Each is an hour and a half away. I'll just go to another.

Cheers

Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 AM
ski
5 Year Member
The only difference besides overall diameter is the conti extreme dw 205/50's weigh 1 pound more than the stock dunlops.
The difference in the diameters of the OEM Dunlops and the Conti Extreme DW's is a miniscule 0.1", which is negligible.

Quick Reply: Tire Help !!