General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

USB Flash Drive & Music Sorting

Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
USB Flash Drive & Music Sorting

When I got my Fit, I had an iPod that I'd been using infrequently for a couple years and I'd had to do battle with it to make it cooperate with my computers running kubuntu. The then-boyfriend had given it to me, so who am I to argue with something that was free, even if it required some labor, creative thinking and technically breaking the device to make it work for me? It had been my only source of music in my car, since I hate FM radio and all the commercials, and I don't like switching out CDs in the car if I can avoid it.

At any rate, the stupid thing went FUBAR on me the other night when I was trying to add more music to it. I'm assuming it's dead, though I did hand it over to the ex to look at (he works for Apple), and I went out and bought a 32GB flash drive to use in my car instead. Seems to be working just fine, for now I just copied my music folders on my computer over to the drive and the non-Nav OEM head unit plays just fine with it.

I usually listen to my music on shuffle play, but sometimes I like listening to particular albums, artists or songs. My system is pretty much just 27 folders, A-Z and a folder for numbers, sorting the artists within those folders. Oddly enough, the controls show the contents of each folder sorted not in alpha order as I'd expect, but some other order that I would guess might be write order on the drive? This is likely to drive me crazy, and I intend to poke through my user manual in a bit to see if there's anything that can be done about this, or anything else I can learn about the system to make it better to use... since I no longer have the unplug the iPod, set it for what I want to listen to, and plug it back in work around.

Anyhow, this tl;dr summary: How do those of you using flash drives for music in your Fit sort your collection? Any recommendations you can make?