General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Deciding between Honda Fit, or Volks GTI.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Deciding between Honda Fit, or Volks GTI.

Hi Fit folks. I'm new here, and this it seems like this is a great user community. I am going to be selling my Monte Carlo SS to get into somthing a little more economical gas wise. Because I have to put in premium gas in the supercharger MC it is becoming quite expensive. Also I want a more reliable car. I am trying to decide between the Honda Fit, and the Volkswagen GTI. Since the GTI is more expensive I would be getting an older year. Where as if I went the Fit route, I would be able to get a newer year model.
I mentioned I was looking at the Volkswagen GTI to my sister and she told me Volkswagen were unreliable, and I would be better off going with the Honda Fit. She has a Honda Pilot that she absolutely loves to death so she might be a bit biased. Every car I have I eventually get into modding it as well and it seems that there are a lot of cool mods that can be done to the Fit.
I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, and opinions offered on the matter. I look forward to being a part of the forums.

Thanks for your time, and attention!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Honda fit is more reliable.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
I would stay away from any used turbocharged car. I would never know how it was driven or if it was abused. If you have the money for a new gti I would say gti, if not the fit wins for reliability and low cost of ownership.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
I had a 2003 GTI VR6 before the Fit, and the reliability of it wasn't bad. Granted, I only had it for a couple years (got it used in 2005) but there were no issues with it. I think it's a hit or miss with VW reliability. A friend of mine went from a 2001 Golf 1.8T to the Fit as well, and his VW had tons of issues near the end before he traded it in. *shrugs*

If you're getting any of the new-ish GTI's, you'll need to run premium gas as well, with the turbo engines (1.8T/2.0T) or the VR6.

That said, I loved the GTI. I think they're both great cars, the GTI is faster in a straight line, but the Fit is more nimble. You'll be paying more in the long run with the GTI though, with premium gas + possible maintenance.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey, thanks for all of the great feedback guys.

I am predominantly leaning towards a Honda Fit for the money, and the reliability. I didnt know you had to put premium in the GTI, thanks for mentioning that.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
it depends, do you mind fixing cars (or taking them into the shop)? If you don't mind, then go with the VW.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
I have no direct experience with VW. In fact, I don't think I'll ever own any German car at this rate. I am constantly reminded how much of an ass some drivers can be... and too often they are in German cars.

But that's not the main reason I'm here. My friend's sister had a VW Beetle for a while, and it felt like something had to be fixed every other week. It probably wasn't actually that bad... but would you want a car that felt like that? The ironic thing... she traded for a Ford Escape and it's almost as bad!!!

I must admit there was a time when the Escape first came out, I was interested in it.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
I went from 2007 GTI to Honda Fit. All turbo-charged engines require premium gas.
Expect to pay double for gas if you go with the GTI vs the Fit

The GTI I had kept burning engine oil.. I had to buy full synthetic engine oil every month and a half. It was a known problem and when I asked my sales guy, he said its the luck of the draw.. some GTI's don't have this problem, some do. I looked at him and didn't know what to say...

These are two very different cars in terms of performance.. if you want to save money, go with the Fit.

I've had my Fit for a week now and I'm loving it!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
GE8 would be more economical.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
My 1.8L Turbo 20v VW was rock solid when I purchased it new in 2002. By the time I sold it at 32,000 miles, both windows had fallen inside the doors (regulators - known issue), the water pump failed on the highway requiring the VW tech to dismantle a large percentage of the motor to repair it, resulting in an oil leak after that point, and two of my coil packs had blown (known issue). These were not brought on by abuse. The car was in showroom condition and I ran Mobil 1 synthetic w/ quality filters. Premium fuel was required.

Just my experience .... do with it what you will.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
2.0Ts can be expensive to own.

Mine burned oil too. Goes with the territory. Don't get DSG if you care about maintenance costs either.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
If you want to stick with something with a bit more power, I'm really enjoying my tC. Fuel economy is rated 23/31 (regular), and I'm seeing 25-26 around town. MSRP (w/ destination) on a manual is $18,995. It's got the same engine as the Camry (180 hp 2.5L), so it should be reliable in the long run.

If you don't mind the engine in the Fit (it'll be a major adjustment from a Monte Carlo. Say goodbye to Mister Torque) and you aren't too long legged (seat travel is limited... if you enjoy stretching your legs while you drive, give it a careful testdrive, sit in it for a while in the showroom. You'll annoy the salesmen, but for the purchase of a multi-thousand dollar item, they can live with the annoyance), the Fit is a terrific choice, and incredibly practical. The tC is also a hatchback, but offers nowhere near the cargo versatility if that is a concern for you.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I test drove the 2011 Honda Fit Sport just a little while ago. Very sharp care with this one. I am pretty impressed. I think I might actually be picking one up tomorrow. I look forward to the quality of Honda built car. 2011 is a lot newer than I was considering so I am pretty excited. I really like the fact it has four doors because it is a pain having the dogs jump over the seats to get in and out of my current car. The room in the Fit when the back seats are down is incredibly spacious, my dogs will love that.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I'd have to say the fit and finish of the VW is excellent And it does feel as if your driving a more expensive vehicle. That said if your looking for low cost of ownership and resale value go with the fit. Really they are two unique cars both of which has proved themselves. Just remember it's about HOW YOU FEEL WHEN YOUR DRIVING IT. Have you found out the insurance premiums GTI vs FIT maybe that will help your decision?? Take care!

Last edited by tblue32; 04-13-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Cicatrix
I test drove the 2011 Honda Fit Sport just a little while ago. Very sharp care with this one. I am pretty impressed. I think I might actually be picking one up tomorrow. I look forward to the quality of Honda built car. 2011 is a lot newer than I was considering so I am pretty excited. I really like the fact it has four doors because it is a pain having the dogs jump over the seats to get in and out of my current car. The room in the Fit when the back seats are down is incredibly spacious, my dogs will love that.
I'd think the fit would be a great dog owner's car, assuming you don't mind seeing hair everywhere. Plenty of space with the seats stowed for the dog to stretch out.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by malraux
I'd think the fit would be a great dog owner's car, assuming you don't mind seeing hair everywhere. Plenty of space with the seats stowed for the dog to stretch out.
I think so too. My dog is a Pitbull though so he doesn't have much hair, heck he sleeps in my bed every night.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
You'll love the fit and the back seats lay flat or fold up. The dogs would like either option. My son likes getting into the back seat via the rear hatch for some reason. Vws aren't very reliable. Also someone posted that Honda had 0.9% apr right now

Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Read the inside line full test of the most recent GTI it's rather surprising - something to te effect of "VWmanaged to suck every bit of fun out of the GTI. The new Jetta is reportedly a mess according to consumer reports: chintzy plastic, archaic drum rears, sloppy suspension where an extremely refined BMW-lite once stood.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
... The new Jetta is reportedly a mess according to consumer reports: chintzy plastic, archaic drum rears, sloppy suspension where an extremely refined BMW-lite once stood.
Funny you mentioned this. A girl at work just bought one and I've been staring at the rear wheels for the past few days from a distance, because it didn't look right. They appear to be silver disc rotors from afar, but when I walked up I realized the rears were drums and I was like WTF? They changed them and cheaped out? I hate drum brakes. Simple yes, but 1960's technology (no offense to anyone ... I'm 46 myself )

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
You guys/gals have been great for helping me out with my inquiries into these cars. I appreciate it! Good folks here.
After doing some more research it is clear to me that the Honda Fit is more than likely a better option than the GTI for me. It seems that people are having a considerable amount of problems with the GTI. The engine on the Fit is a little on the weak side but that's not the reason why I am considering buying the car. The reliability, the gas mileage, resale, and the practicality of the four doors, and large storage in the back make it very inciting.

Quick Reply: Deciding between Honda Fit, or Volks GTI.