General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cult car

Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Cult car

would the Honda FIT become a "cult car"? just wondering...
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=434627

Last edited by phenoyz; 08-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Ehhhhh I'm not sure. It may, but the rear suspension may hold it back. I mean the CRX is a cult car for its lightweight, cheap modding and great suspension. Fit is light, but not anwyhere near as cheap to mod and the suspension layout is rubbish next to the CRX

(CRX is just an example)

Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting article- I think the personality part is missing from the Fit--To me there is nothing really quirky or odd about the Fit---it is cute, but from a distance I sometimes can't tell a Fit (GD model) from a Chevy Aveo & the GE model from some small vans
I agree the Mini is a cult car & the old VW Beetle, & the new as well--I have a hard time placing the PT Cruiser in the cult category, but it is odd for sure. What about the Pontiac Aztec--a cult of ugliness

Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think the new Mini/Beetle/PT Cruiser (LOL) will have a cult following, ever.

And I wouldn't say it has to have a quirkiness, great potential that people don't realize is there is another ingredient to cult car.

(Miata, CRX, Civic, Integra, B13 Sentra, etc)

Old 08-10-2011, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
would the Honda FIT become a "cult car"? just wondering...
What Makes a Cult Car? - MSN Autos
Wow, hard to pin down an appropriate response to your "wondering." No flame out intended. Just too many external dependencies... Too early to tell and not iconic enough (my opinion). The Corollas, Civics and the like have been chart-toppers for ages but have never been considered cult category. Just my take...

Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
This has potential as a cult car: Fiat 500 USA The Fit - I don't think so...

The two I've owned - 67 VW - 64 Riley Elf [Austin Mini variant] wish I still had both.

K_C_

Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
A cult is something with a small but fervent following.. The Fit has been compared to the air cooled VWs by many people that have owned both and the fact that there is so much interaction between owners here on Fit Freak for over 5 years now pretty much confirms that the Fit has a cult like following... If there were more of them on the road owned by people that post numerous times a day Fit Freaks could be classified as a religion.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
There will be few true "cult cars" out of the past 10 years or so. Cars are homogenized now. You have to look to things like Saabs and Suzukis in our market these days for anything that has the true quality of cult-ness. I could definitely say that I think there are quite a few cars on the road that have a cult following in a lighter sense, but none quirky and under appreciated enough for it to be like the days of old; before a plethora of car reviews and internet opinions made sure that good, capable cars are known as such.

What really makes a cult car, is when the cult knows something that they think everyone else doesn't about their ride of choice.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
What really makes a cult car, is when the cult knows something that they think everyone else doesn't about their ride of choice.
Come to think of it... '02 WRX... Yeah!!! I remember how people looked at it as the ugly duckling when it first came out... Funny looks... Frowns... Raised eyebrows... Those of us who bit, drove with a big and waved at each other... very few then... "What is that thing?", people asked. '03 and on... the cat was out of the bag... Yeah!

Last edited by Subie; 08-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
while the Fit is a very practical car and great in many ways it just doesn't have any real special traits, imho.

it might become one maybe in 15-20yrs. who knows.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
How are guys defining the word "cult"..... The VW Beetle, Citroen 2CV and the original Austin minis are cars that have a cult following and in their day were revered for their cost of operation, utility, and fun to drive.. I feel those traits are the same that people love about their Fits.... This car is loved by owners world wide.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Come to think of it... '02 WRX... Yeah!!! I remember how people looked at it as the ugly duckling when it first came out... Funny looks... Frowns... Raised eyebrows... Those of us who bit, drove with a big and waved at each other... very few then... "What is that thing?", people asked. '03 and on... the cat was out of the bag... Yeah!
my fiancé and i still have our bug-eye wrx sedan and continue to waive at wrx owners... although, the newer model owners are kind of rude, think we're trying to race them, and don't wave back ... whatev's, we always get a smile and nod from other bug-eye owners though

the Fit/Jazz is definitely a cult car. maybe just barely on the brink of it in the USA but other countries like the philippines, thailand, and china [for example] have been modifying, showcasing, and restoring Fit/Jazz for a while now.

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 08-10-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
My first response was that it absolutely was, but not in the U.S., but then thought about that, and wasn't positive enough to say it. Sure seems that way, but overseas, there is a lot more competition for small cars.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
my fiancé and i still have our bug-eye wrx sedan and continue to waive at wrx owners... although, the newer model owners are kind of rude, think we're trying to race them, and don't wave back ... whatev's, we always get a smile and nod from other bug-eye owners though
So true... I still do it...

Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
i thought that to be called a 'cult' means that your car isn't produced as much, or population is already down, and have special trait, be it design quirkiness, outstanding motor, great handling, etc... such as the crx (example), back in the days when they were launched, i think people simply 'love' it for its cheap price but high value and reliable motor. when the population have gone down, and there aren't so many crx around, then it became a cult car... i think the same will apply with the fit/jazz. right now, people (like us) just 'love' the car for its simplicity, thrifty motor, great seatings, etc... give it some 10 years, when the GD fit population already dwindles down, then it might got the 'cult' status.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
If they gave it a sweeter motor and an LSD, maybe.

But that would just lead to a bunch of cocky teenagers thinking that their Fit Type S or whatever it would be called could destroy everything else on the road... that's the drawback.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
I guess that you guys don't get it..... I know that there are people that will jump onto whatever comes along that offers more horns, buttons, whistles and wider wheels and tires but there will still be those of us that are into driving a car that is dependable, easily maintained, capable of carrying large objects economical and an absolute blast to drive in it's bone stock form... If the car wasn't endearing in so many ways there would be no interest in personalizing them or increasing the performance... These are the same things that were being done to the original Minis and Beetles way back when and they were recognized as having a cult following early on even though the Beetle was seen all over the place and the same for the Mini except in the U.S. The GD3 was 6 years into production before it was introduced here and there are all kinds of videos online of people from all over the world doing different things with them... It is seldom that I even see another Fit on the road here, people after 5 years of driving mine still ask me what it is and yet owners post here almost on a daily basis.... I can't see how it can be said that there isn't a cult following of Fit owners.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Is the Toyota Yaris a cult car? It had its own league: Toyota Yaris Cup 2005 Highlights - YouTube

Honestly, I don't think so. It has magic seats, and that's about all that really sets it apart from the competition. In '07-08, the design seemed fresh to Americans, but mainly because of a dearth of subcompact hatches for about a decade prior. This is the most generic design for a car for most of the world... There's not much that really sets it apart from the Focus, Versa, Yaris, etc., except for the magic seats (which I'd guess most people don't use all that often) and subjective styling traits.

It's a bargain priced traverse-engined front wheel drive mini-wagon. It's somewhat conservative in styling and design, and not significantly sportier or more efficient than most of the competition. It seems that a cult car needs some kind of 'hook,' that makes it really unique.

And this is the internet... think Rule 34; at this point, there's an online club for EVERYTHING. Don't believe me? Imagine the most dull, boring vehicle you could buy. Here's the club: Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com - Index

Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 AM
personally... whether the fit have a cult status or not... i still think that eg6 are more cool looking... i want to get one sometime in the future