General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cargo space

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Cargo space

I suspect there is a comparison section but...

When I read over the max cargo specs for the Fit and the Matrix the Fit wins but there are some reviewers that compare the two and quote cargo specs indicating the Matrix has more space. Indeed the Matrix is larger too.

So is it true that the Fit has more max cargo space (all versions and models) vs Matrix (all versions and models)?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Because the Fit has a very low cargo area floor, I'm not surprised that it has more volume than the Matrix. But it comes down more to what size and shape cargo you want to haul. Since the Fit is short, you have a tall but short cargo area. The Matrix cargo area might be a little longer but not as tall.

You got me curious to learn how cargo volume is measured and I found this:

For hatchback, it is the product of:
-Average cargo length, the arithmetic average of Cargo length at second seatback height-hatchback and Cargo length at floor-second-hatchback.
-Shoulder room-second.
-Second seatback to load floor height.

I found that here: Vehicle size class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That method doesn't fully account for the exact shape of the cargo area.

So I don't know if the Fit truly has more usable cargo space than the Matrix, but I can say that it can haul an amazing amount of stuff.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, one would need to look at the actual shape of the cargo area. no meaning having lots of unusable cubic centimeters!!

like an old fart bragging 'experience' but nothing inside...just breathing meaningless air.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
like an old fart bragging 'experience' but nothing inside...just breathing meaningless air.
... not meaningless... eco-friendly... Usable space matters... +/- cm3 here and there doesn't except for specs...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
This was one of my first posts on this site, before I bought the Fit. These were the approximate measurements for the 2007 Fit & Matrix.
Originally Posted by FitStir
Well its debateable, but I think the Matrix is slighty bigger.. If you go according to the respective websites the Matrix claims to have 12 cu. ft more "cargo space".. Not sure if that includes the measurements from the back of the front seats, or if includes the front passenger seat folded down also..

Since cargo space is also an issue for me I did some real world measurements (should be accurate within the inch)..

Measurement.......Honda Fit.......Matrix
Max Length.........90"-94"..........96" meas. with front pass. seat down
Fr St's UP Lngth...59"-62".........66" Seat's on both cars set at norm driving pos.
Max Width...........50"..............52"
Min Width............41"..............41" meas. between rear wheel wells
Max Height..........39.5"............33"

The sales people must have thought I was a little crazy when I brought my tape measure.

Well after debating it for several days and sitting behind the Fit again, I think I'm leaning more towards the Fit. Even though there's no seat ht adjustment it still feels more comfortable than the Matrix. Plus, the Matrix owners are really complaining about the quality of some of the parts on messageboards.. There's something about the Fit that feels like it might be the right car for me.
What is domes down to is this.
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
......But it comes down more to what size and shape cargo you want to haul.
It all depends on what you plan on carrying.

This weekend I found more ways of loading up the Fit, 4'x4' sheets of plywood fit in the rear with the rear seats up, and of course 8' 2x4s fit nicely right on top of the passenger side dash straight to the hatch area.

Basically there's many ways to pack cargo into the Fit (or Matrix), it all comes down to what you plan on carrying. One nice thing about the Matrix is that the model I looked at had the hard plastic covering on the rear passenger seats which protects the seats. But with the Clazzio's, and the JDM Cargo protector (which covers the back of the rear passenger seats), that area is pretty well protected.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, basically common sense...

Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Honda website says:
cargo space: 585/1622L which is 20.66/57.28

Toyota website says:
cargo space: 19.8/49.4 cuft which is 560.67/1398.45L

Which no matter how you cut it says more space in Fit.

Yes I agree it's more about useful space but I was just confused from reading reports online from some reviewers (professional reviewers) saying the opposite from what I found on the Honda/Toyota websites re cargo space

But thanx for examining the problem. Good info and insight

Old 10-14-2016, 01:41 AM
What's missing here are actual tape measurements of the trunk cargo space. That's important when the rear seats can't be put down, and yet things need to be carried.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
The Honda Fit is unique perhaps in being a sub-compact with a lot of AVAILABLE cargo space. But you pretty much have to commit to wanting that space by transforming into whatever folded up/down seat "mode" you want or need.

In "regular" mode, the space behind the seats is usual small hatch-back limited.

I downsized into the Fit from my previous vehicle and have been experimenting with cargo storage options.

Somewhat off topic, but I did bite the bullet and buy the OEM Honda Fit Cargo Cover, because I wanted it and didn't feel I wanted to, or even perhaps had the talent to fabricate something I would be happy with. But I felt it was WAY too expensive for what it actually is...not the convenience or reality it creates.

Anyway, in experimenting with options I was thinking about adding a "Cargo Net". But again Honda's Genuine Accessory version is IMO way too expensive. I refuse to pay upwards of $50 for some para-cord and stretch netting. If you get the lower hooks installed? It really get's ridiculous.

For a huge fraction of that cost I can buy one at a local store, generic and unbranded. But it would only install at the top, with the loops that go around the seat back posts. I would have to "jury rig" or come up with my own way of anchoring the bottom attachments.
Anyone already go down this road?

Old 10-14-2016, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
...For a huge fraction of that cost I can buy one at a local store, generic and unbranded. But it would only install at the top, with the loops that go around the seat back posts. I would have to "jury rig" or come up with my own way of anchoring the bottom attachments.
In the GK, there are tie downs at the rear seat back bottom. You could use carabiners for a quick release.

I also just use 2 boxes at the rear and it handles grocery duty well keeping things from flying around. It's also on the right to counterbalance the typical sole driver of the vehicle.

I ended up taking out the cargo net on the floor since we never used it in this fashion. We also drop one of the seats for Costco duty and the net would get in the way of quickly doing that too.

Last edited by tbFit; 10-14-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fitchet
...I was thinking about adding a "Cargo Net". But again Honda's Genuine Accessory version is IMO way too expensive. I refuse to pay upwards of $50 for some para-cord and stretch netting. If you get the lower hooks installed? It really get's ridiculous.

For a huge fraction of that cost I can buy one at a local store, generic and unbranded. But it would only install at the top, with the loops that go around the seat back posts. I would have to "jury rig" or come up with my own way of anchoring the bottom attachments.
I bought a used OEM one from the forums here and it has been pretty useful. I keep stuff in the "pocket" that I need to stay put, and of course you can put things underneath it.

My 2nd Gen Sport already had all four hook thingies that I needed to install it?

Agree that the cargo cover is too spendy but where I live, you gotta have it if you carry anything in your car, otherwise you can attract unwanted car prowler attention.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
... it comes down more to what size and shape cargo you want to haul. ...
Good post Ultrawolf. When we shopped for my wife's car, I bought a tape measure to each Dealer. Salespeople would inevitably remind me that the specifications were available on line, to which I'd reply, 'Thank you, but I want to measure usable cargo capacity."