General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My Fit Review

Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit Review

Three and a half years later and we still own the Fit. I have broken my review into 3 sections…my car history, impressions of the car after years of ownership, and a review of the modifications.

Car History:

My vehicle history helps explain what I expect from a car. Feel free to ask any questions about any of them. Of these, I still have the 1990 Mustang, 2008 F150 and the Fit. I consider these cars to be important in the car person that I have become. They are listed in order of ownership, but many overlap each other (at one time I had 4 cars). In parenthesis is the time that it ran in the 1/4 mile if I ran it at the track…

1980 Honda Prelude – beat till it was almost dead, but couldn’t be killed
1988 Mustang GT – first real car, owned for almost 20 years, every mod that could be done including paint, stereo, suspension, motor, tranny, rear, etc. (10.3@118)
1989 Taurus SHO – acquired from my Dad with 163,000 on the odometer and drove till the tranny died at 236,000 miles, one of the most fun cars I ever owned (14.9@89)
1992 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe – not sure why I ever sold this one, mild mods and a good money maker (12.63@108)
1993 Taurus SHO – acquired from my Dad with 155,000 miles, wrecked and sold it to a friend with 231,000 miles, stereo system, black paint, gray leather, etc made this the perfect date ride (15.3@89)
1995 Contour SE v6 – inherited from my Grandmother, was a nice car with decent power
1999 Volkswagen Jetta TDI – was a business car for the family. Thought I made the best purchase ever with the fuel mileage and driving experience. Had more problems with it than any other car the family ever owned.
2000 Ford Ranger – every option imaginable. 4.0 liter, 4x4, 4.10 gears, 4-door, off-road pack, system etc. Miss this ride.
2002 Sentra SER SpecV – I poured countless hours and a stupid amount of money into this. You name it…it had it. JIC coilovers, aftermarket Brembo brakes, NISMO wheels, CAI, header, exhaust, leather, serious stereo, etc. (14.2@92)
1990 Nissan 240SX coupe – bought cheap, great beater
1998 Oldsmobile Aurora – bought from a friend of the family and drove for many years. A few mods, extreme stereo system and dark window tint made people on the highway wonder what went by them J
1995 Honda Civic LX – was wife’s when I married her. Decent car, but not fun.
2003 Ford F250 Superduty – 6.0 Powerstroke, 4x4, several mods. My wife misses this one the most and wants it back (13.9@93)
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 hatch – tons of mods including Paxton Novi 2000. 534 rwhp, no traction (12.3@124)
2007 Ford Explorer – v8, 4x4, was extremely comfortable and great power. Sold only to get rid of payment with baby on the way. Kept Fit instead of this and was possibly a mistake.
2008 Honda Fit – read review below for info
2008 Ford F150 Supercrew – xlt, 5.4, 3.73 gears, 2 wheel drive

Driving impressions:

The Fit was bought primarily for my wife. She has wanted one since Honda introduced them. Her father is a recently retired Honda employee and it was her third favorite car. 1st – 1947 Ford 4-door sedan, 2nd 1971 Chevy Shortbed, 3rd Honda Fit. The 1947 Ford and Chevy truck didn’t meet our current needs so we bought a Fit. My evaluation on the Fit is based my on our driving location, needs, and expectations. In short we have a 1 year old, live in the mountains, and use the Fit as a daily driver. Here are a few key points:

Paint – very poor, scratches very easily and front gets marks from mild road debris. I have a history of automotive detailing including working at a Porsche dealership and going through their detailing classes. This paint sucks!

Interior – very well thought out, but cheap materials. Several annoying rattles really detract from driving enjoyment and interior noise is excessive. Love the gauges and seats. Overall function is very good. Despite having a great use of space, it is still a very small car. We miss the space of our Explorer and probably would have kept it over the Fit had we known how much room baby stuff requires. On long trips we prefer to take the F150 for space and ride comfort, but sometimes opt for the Fit for economy reasons.

Economy – A mixed review. The worst fuel mileage we have gotten is in the 31mpg range which is fantastic, but the highest was in the 36mpg range. Overall, the fuel consumption is great. I just wish that it could get the crazy highway mileage that is common today. On our last full tank of Interstate only miles it got 32mpg. It just does not like high speed use because the motor is too weak. My father-in-law gets better highway mileage with his TSX.

Suspension – no complaints about handling, but it comes at a serious cost to comfort. The ride is extremely choppy and rough compared to other vehicles I have owned. Making a cheap car handle well means stiff suspension and little compliance. We are currently having a rear alignment problem. It checks out as being within Honda spec, but is wearing the inside edges of the rear tires and is even negative cambered to the naked eye.

Braking – everyone who thinks the Fit brakes are great does not live in the mountains. They are fantastic in the city and normal conditions. However, a steep downhill high speed sweeper will quickly turn the brakes to mush. I have had the pedal to the floor after multiple turns in downhill sections. The same was true of the Civic, F150, and Explorer. The Superduty brakes were optioned for heavy duty towing and nothing could make them fade. The Aurora and specV had upgraded brakes and were fine.

Drivetrain – The 1.5 performs flawlessly, but lacks the Honda feel. It is very similar to our old Civic that also made adequate torque followed by no power. All other Honda’s I have driven like to be revved. That is not true of the anemic Fit motor. It chugs along with refinement, but never elicits any excitement. After 50,000 miles we have substantial clutch chatter, but the tranny still shifts like butter and everything works well.

Overall – The above may have been harsh, but it is my opinion. Despite the negatives, we still own the Fit. It has been one of the least costly vehicles to own and is a lot of fun to drive. My wife loves it completely and I like it well enough that I’m likely to keep it in the family for quite some time. It handles great and does everything else well enough. A K24 swap, coilovers, big brake kit, Dynamat, and a paint job would make it perfect. A Civic Si would likely take it’s place if Honda would make it with a hatch. In the meantime, we’ll keep rockin’ the Fit. Just so you know how much I like this car overall…I had my Mom buy a 2011 Fit Sport.

Modifications:

All of the mods were done immediately after purchasing the car to address things that I saw as factory oversights. I would have liked to address more, but ran out of funds.

HID headlights and fogs – bought from Xenith Xenons and have worked perfect since day one. Were a pain to install since removal of the front bumper was necessary for easy access. Also re-wired fogs to work independently…much better.

Mugen Ventvisors – work perfect and look good. Front windows can be cracked open and rain does enter car.

Mugen shifter – huge improvement over stock. Much quicker and direct feeling

Mugen doorsill plates – only cosmetic, but bring a smile to our faces

Zeta dead pedal – most underrated part. Never drove a car without one and didn’t know where to brace foot in high speed turns. Also, adds comfort on highway trips.

Hood deflector – still on despite rumors that carwashes or high speed would remove it. Has been over 100 mph according to GPS and has seen touch free car washes…still on!

JDM center console – a high dollar way to solve a simple problem, but we are much more comfortable and happy. It dresses up interior and adds cupholders in the rear.

Progress rear sway bar – night and day difference. Stopped majority of tracking problem on highway and made the car feel substantially more stable in the extreme corners we live around.

Fluids/plugs – put Amsoil in the tranny and it definitely made it shift smoother, Castrol Syntec Edge Titanium in the motor with K&N filter…only time will tell if that is good, but zero oil usage, and Spoon magnetic drain plugs in motor and tranny

LED taillights – bought these POS things off ebay because they were the only ones that have no color. I was on a mission to remove all color except black and silver from the car and these accomplished that, but were a pain to install. Wires had to be extended, the housings had to be filed to fit, and there is a wiring problem within the lights that keep one section from lighting when braking.

Rota RB’s – 16x7, 40mm offset, look great, but do rub. Had to shave a tab in the rear wheel well to stop some of the rubbing. Still rubs with extreme bumps. Yokohama S-drives mounted on them are extremely sticky and are wearing well….love them! Still have the wheels, but are now driving on stockers with S-drives due to alignment issues mentioned above.

I’m sure that I’m forgetting some stuff, but I think that is the basics. Right now I am shopping brake options. We don’t have the funds we used to so I’m trying to find a budget friendly upgrade. Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by GAFIT; 11-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking Hawk pads and PowerSlot rotors with stainless lines for the front. Is there ANY upgrade for the rear besides a conversion to discs?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
very fair review. it's especially interesting for me as i have just returned to the fit community after 1 year off.

i wouldn't bother with a rear disk conversion. have you tried an upgraded brake fluid to fix your fade problem? i wouldn't expect a lightweight car to experience fade at the brake pad, but wouldn't be surprised at all if the OEM fluid wasn't holding up to your driving. even high end sports cars w/ factory brembos need to swap out the factory flll brake fluid for sustained hard driving.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
very fair review. it's especially interesting for me as i have just returned to the fit community after 1 year off.

i wouldn't bother with a rear disk conversion. have you tried an upgraded brake fluid to fix your fade problem? i wouldn't expect a lightweight car to experience fade at the brake pad, but wouldn't be surprised at all if the OEM fluid wasn't holding up to your driving. even high end sports cars w/ factory brembos need to swap out the factory flll brake fluid for sustained hard driving.
Brake fluid...good idea! I ran Motul RBF600 in the specV. Is that a good choice for the Fit? I'm now thinking PowerSlot or Brembo drilled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Techna-Fit lines and Motul fluid.

I need the discs because the factory ones are warped and it's time for pads.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
i love rbf600. ate superblue is also good.

i would stay away from drilled rotors. dimpled or slotted is fine. i'm not partial to any brand, but i would bet the brembo branded rotors are more expensive. i thought these might be interesting: EBC Brakes Ultimax Slotted Sport Front Rotors Honda Fit 1.5L 07-09

Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
that was a good read, i usually don't sit thru something like that.. but i agree with most of it..

Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I think I have settled on EBC 3GD rotors. They are slotted and dimpled and are a little cheaper than the Power Slot or Brembo's.

Anyone know how much brake fluid I need? I'm guessing two bottles will do since it's such a small car with a small reservoir. I know 3 is the norm for most cars.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Checked the owners manual and no mention of brake fluid capacity. Haven't found it on here either

I think I'm going to spend the extra $ and get the PowerSlot rotors. I had them on the Aurora and they solved the rotor warping problem that is common on those cars.

Been looking at intake/filter options. The car is due for a filter and I hate the idea of spending so much for another Honda OEM filter. Maybe a K&N drop in? I'm not real into attempting to improve the performance of this anemic motor. Just waiting for a forced induction or K swap in the future.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-05-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
k+n drop in, or an amsoil drop in if they make one. i wouldnt bother with an intake unless you're in a spendy mood or want the sound.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
k+n drop in, or an amsoil drop in if they make one. i wouldnt bother with an intake unless you're in a spendy mood or want the sound.
Agreed! I will order a K&N replacement filter. I'm planning on a full maintenance...brakes, air filter, cabin filter, oil change, & spark plugs in the very near future. Have the K&N oil filter, Syntec Titanium oil and cabin filter. Now just need to get the rest.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have been gathering the parts necessary for the overhaul.

kennef, I went with your suggestion and ordered the EBC USR discs. I'll be the guinea pig and report back. They get decent reviews on other sites. I also went with the Superblue because it's half the price. Thanks for the suggestions!

Here's what I have on order or here waiting...

Brakes:
EBC USR rotors
Hawk HPS pads
Classic Performance Super Blue brake fluid
Rotor retaining screws
1/2 impact screwdriver - can't believe I don't own one already

Valve Check/Oil change/service:
K&N air filter
K&N oil filter
Castrol Syntec Titanium oil
WIX cabin filter - screw Honda and their $35 one
Craftsman offset feeler gauges - have straight ones, but read that offset is easier with the Fit
Denso Iridium plugs
Sensor safe import RTV

I am hoping to do the overhaul this coming weekend, but the brake pads are on backorder so we'll see.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
HPS aren't really performance pads, just FYI

Old 11-12-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
HPS aren't really performance pads, just FYI
I would classify them as exactly what Hawk calls them. Performance street. They do bite a lot harder than OEM pads. And WAAAAY better than the ceramic replacements you get at auto parts stores.

I've had them on two other cars and liked the bite they had. I agree that they aren't race pads, but they also last much longer and don't require as much heat. The HPS Plus pads I had were loud and I don't think my wife would enjoy the noise.

Edit: You got me thinking about what pads I have owned and liked the best...that would be Carbotech's and they now have a listing for the Fit!!! They are $134 for the front set. Darn it...do I cancel the Hawks and spend even more money?

Last edited by GAFIT; 11-12-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
how much more for the carbotechs? if you like em better, it's worth the switch considering how long you'll be using those pads.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
how much more for the carbotechs? if you like em better, it's worth the switch considering how long you'll be using those pads.
They would add $60 to my already costly maintenance plans. In my old single/no children days I wouldn't have blinked at spending more. As you can see by my previous rides, I like car parts

The Hawks are on backorder. I'll call Carbotech on Monday and see how fast they could get me a set of pads and maybe justify it that way. They are pretty slow though because each order is custom made.

Not a big deal if I have to "settle" for the Hawks. They are great pads and, from what I have read, even make the pad material for Carbotech.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Upgrade! I had HPS on my Si and once I had a set of HP+ I was embarrassed that I even used those HPS haha.

But $60 is $60 haha

Old 11-17-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Well, all of the parts are here except the brake pads and retaining screws. I decided to hold out for the Hawks. I agree that they are not a true performance pad, but I like their quietness and durability. Since the Fit is my wifes, I have to be careful what parts I pick. She'd be all for a k20 swap, turbo, blower, etc, but she's not going to want noisy brakes.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I had a little time today so I started the valve adjustment. Boy this car is easy to work on. Granted it's half of the motor I'm used to (v8's), but I'm also impressed with how smart and simple the design is. With very little time I have the rocker arms exposed and ready for adjustment tomorrow.

My wife has the camera and is away till Monday. When I get it back I'll post pics of the air filter. Holy Schmoly! I guess a small animal built a nest in the airbox or something. The filter is completely clogged with house insulation and random crud.

I didn't mention that one of the reasons for this extensive overhaul is to see if I can get it's fuel mileage back. We've been getting 32mpg on a regular basis, but used to get 36ish. I hope the filter, plugs, valve adjustment, etc bring it back up.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Paint – very poor, scratches very easily and front gets marks from mild road debris. I have a history of automotive detailing including working at a Porsche dealership and going through their detailing classes. This paint sucks!
OH MY GOODNESS! Are you serious? That totally bites.

The Fit has cheap and crummy paint?

I never knew that!

I did enjoy reading your vehicle history =o)

I'm afraid to read anymore about the Fit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Fit Review