General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Wheels locks, Wheel theft???

Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Wheels locks, Wheel theft???

So we just went through the frustration and expense of having all four wheels stolen from our '10 Sport.

Now I'm curious. I've read some of the numerous threads here on the forum and understand that the consensus is that wheel locks are only a deterrent.

My question - how many of you have had, or know personally of, wheels that have been stolen off a Fit WITH wheel locks installed?

Thanks in advance -

Dan

Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear. wheel locks are easily breached. wat you want is an alarm with a tilt sensor...and auto text to your phone. that's about as good as it gets for now.

or if you can, park it in a garage.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sorry to hear. wheel locks are easily breached. wat you want is an alarm with a tilt sensor...and auto text to your phone. that's about as good as it gets for now.

or if you can, park it in a garage.
Thanks, kenchan, but you didn't answer the question.

Dan

Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
well, i'm not sure how much this applies:

my family used to have a Honda Accord. About 13 years ago, I was driving from my brother's restaurant, on the way home (El Cajon to Mira Mesa). Sometime before I got on the highway, my tire went flat. I didn't know, and wasn't sure even though the car felt funny on one side. I FINALLY decided to check after traversing one highway and crossing over to another (I8 to I15). Found the tire a total mess (of course, I drove on it after it deflated). I went to change the tire.

It had a wheel lock on it... and in my panicked state, I couldn't find the key for it. Called my brother, my father whoever that could come out to help me deal with it.

But, before they came out, CalTrans showed up. The guy took a look and said... "No problem." Took my cross bar, whacked it on, and twisted the lock nut right off. After that, put on the spare and twisted the lock nut back on. And home I went.

So yeah... pretty much the same amount of effort to taking a normal nut off.

P.S. After I calmed down (right after the CalTrans guy left)... I took another look around the car and found the key for the nut. Wasn't obvious, but it was there.

Last edited by Goobers; 01-16-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phinegan
Thanks, kenchan, but you didn't answer the question.

Dan
well you can be the first one (?) to post getting fit wheels stolen with factory locks. that doesnt mean anything.

ive read about people getting their wheels stolen even with locks. it's a false sense of security... just like 'security' door chains for the house. you really think that little chain is going to stop someone from kicking the door in?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
I was at a car shop a few years ago to have them install some new springs. I left the wheel key lock at home but they guy told me not to worry cuz he had a tool that can pretty much twist open any lock. He said the only locks he can't open are Gorilla locks with the spinning sleeves on the outside. If he tries to grab onto it with his tool, it just spins and he can't grip the lock securely enough to tear it off. All of my locks have since been the Gorilla locks with this sleeve.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Sucks to hear your wheels were stolen. Gorilla locks for the FTW.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sooner97
I was at a car shop a few years ago to have them install some new springs. I left the wheel key lock at home but they guy told me not to worry cuz he had a tool that can pretty much twist open any lock. He said the only locks he can't open are Gorilla locks with the spinning sleeves on the outside. If he tries to grab onto it with his tool, it just spins and he can't grip the lock securely enough to tear it off. All of my locks have since been the Gorilla locks with this sleeve.
And that's why, I got some too!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
wheel locks only keep honest people honest.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sooner97
that's good to know. do you have a pict or linky we can check out?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
The wheel lock part number form Honda is 08W42-SNA-100, or 08W42-SCV-101 10 different keys will apply to your locks so if a thief acquires a key it will let him access 1 in every 10 accord fit civic insight CR-V or Element. talk about false since of security...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
the honda factory wheel lock is nonsense-useless anyway

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
If a crook wants it, he can get it. The sophisticated ones always have the necessary tools with enough power to remove anything, anywhere. Wheel locks only stop the teen who wants to make a quick buck in a short time.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
If a crook wants it, he can get it. The sophisticated ones always have the necessary tools with enough power to remove anything, anywhere. Wheel locks only stop the teen who wants to make a quick buck in a short time using a simple t-bar.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by einstein77
If a crook wants it, he can get it. The sophisticated ones always have the necessary tools with enough power to remove anything, anywhere. Wheel locks only stop the teen who wants to make a quick buck in a short time using a simple t-bar.
Ain't that the truth!

My '90 CRX Si was parked in front of my house and had an alarm with fuel cut off and a club on the wheel and it still got stolen in daylight hours. Found the next day totally stripped of everything including the tires. Well the engine was basically untouched but other than that only the frame remained.

Odds are if it's professionals targeting a car they are going to want more than just the rims.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
Ain't that the truth!

My '90 CRX Si was parked in front of my house and had an alarm with fuel cut off and a club on the wheel and it still got stolen in daylight hours. Found the next day totally stripped of everything including the tires. Well the engine was basically untouched but other than that only the frame remained.

Odds are if it's professionals targeting a car they are going to want more than just the rims.
two words: tow truck.

Who needs to drive it, when you can just tow it away? Just make the truck look semi-legit and passerbys probably wouldn't even take a second look. Make it look like a Repo, and that would "explain" the blaring alarm too!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Gone in 60 seconds...

Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
that's good to know. do you have a pict or linky we can check out?
It's the Gorilla Guard Locks

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61631 Acorn Guard Locks (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size) - Pack of 4: Automotive

Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 PM
These are not made for the stock wheels, you need BALL SEAT... Not cone/tapered which the Gorilla Guard Locks are.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TrungLam
These are not made for the stock wheels, you need BALL SEAT... Not cone/tapered which the Gorilla Guard Locks are.
yup.

most aftermarket wheels are tapered, so they work well there.

there was a thread a while back about seat adapters. they're little rings, ball seat style on the outside and tapered on the inside.

I have no experience with them... but I did see one mention somewhere (could be on FF.net) where the ring deformed. if they had used a less malleable metal, i would probably say go for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheels locks, Wheel theft???