General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

B1 Maintenance Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
B1 Maintenance Questions?

Quick Question,

I am at 14,200 KM on my 2010 Honda Fit 2010 sport, and the B1 maintenance light came on. My Oil is at 15%.

The problem is I am working out of town for a week. I am working in a small town (200KM) outside of the city. I'll be there for the whole week, and will probably be putting 600 KM on my car. I am supposed to leave tomorrow morning.

The B1 light/Maintenance minder just came on as I was driving home today. By now its too late to do anything. I checked the motor oil dip stick and the oil level was pretty low, between the two holes on the end. I added 2 bottles of motor oil from a gas station by my house.

So I have a few questions:

#1: How long can I drive with the B1/Maintenace light on for? And will I be doing damage to my car by driving long distances when the oil % is low?

#2: My understanding is that the B1 involves changing oil, oil filter, doing tire rotation, and inspecting brakes. Sounds fine, but sounds like it will cost around $200 through Honda.

In my city, there was a groupon type deal for a local automotive place.
For $20 I got a voucher for a automotive package that includes a standard oil and filter change, 27 point inspection, and tire rotation. Valid for up to 5 litres of 5w30/5w20. Essentially a B1 service maintenance?

So, my question is can I get my car serviced at the Local auto place or do I have to go to Honda? If I go through with the local auto place, how does this place into my warranty? And how long does the B1 service usually take at Honda?

Thanks,

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by damatick
Quick Question,

I am at 14,200 KM on my 2010 Honda Fit 2010 sport, and the B1 maintenance light came on. My Oil is at 15%.

The problem is I am working out of town for a week. I am working in a small town (200KM) outside of the city. I'll be there for the whole week, and will probably be putting 600 KM on my car. I am supposed to leave tomorrow morning.

The B1 light/Maintenance minder just came on as I was driving home today. By now its too late to do anything. I checked the motor oil dip stick and the oil level was pretty low, between the two holes on the end. I added 2 bottles of motor oil from a gas station by my house.
I'm concerned you added too much oil. If the oil was at the bottom mark, a quart or liter should have brought it back to the top mark. "2 bottles" sounds like twice as much as you should have added. This can cause problems.

So I have a few questions:

#1: How long can I drive with the B1/Maintenace light on for? And will I be doing damage to my car by driving long distances when the oil % is low?
Have it changed before you get to 0%. This is an estimate of how much usable "life" the oil has left before recommended change. However if you added too much oil you might want to rethink this...

#2: My understanding is that the B1 involves changing oil, oil filter, doing tire rotation, and inspecting brakes. Sounds fine, but sounds like it will cost around $200 through Honda.

In my city, there was a groupon type deal for a local automotive place.
For $20 I got a voucher for a automotive package that includes a standard oil and filter change, 27 point inspection, and tire rotation. Valid for up to 5 litres of 5w30/5w20. Essentially a B1 service maintenance?

So, my question is can I get my car serviced at the Local auto place or do I have to go to Honda? If I go through with the local auto place, how does this place into my warranty? And how long does the B1 service usually take at Honda?

You can have it changed anywhere you want to. Just keep your receipt if you have any warranty issues.

You can also tell Honda to just do the A1 service (change oil, rotate tires (if needed)). They'll typically inspect everything anyway. You're not locked in to getting B1 service. All you really need is an oil change.

Here they want over $200 for B2 service that includes changing the engine and cabin air filters. These filters can be replaced yourself for $30. This plus an oil change should be around $60.

Everything should take less than 45minutes depending on the wait time.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-22-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Drain that sucker, 2 bottles is too much.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 AM
2 quarts of oil was too much!
Add some and then recheck the level. Never go above the max line.

You can run the engine down to 0% and not be worried, and you won't do that in 600km anyway. You can get the car serviced anywhere you choose, but you should have the correct service done (Oil and filter).

Do yourself a favor and be sure to get a good filter.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
I checked the motor oil dip stick and the oil level was pretty low, between the two holes on the end. I added 2 bottles of motor oil from a gas station by my house.
What in the world made you decide to add two bottles? If you were to google it, say using the term "low oil on dipstick" or something, nearly ALL the sites would say something like: if the oil level is close to the bottom indicator, you can add a quart of oil, if you're worried.

The only way adding two bottles makes sense to me... is if the two bottles were pints, not quarts.

If you checked your oil while the engine is running, or within a few seconds of shutting off the engine, then you would've gotten the WRONG dipstick level, because plenty of oil would be up, covering various engine parts, giving a low reading.

You're supposed to check the level once you've waited a few minutes after shutting off the engine, so that most of the oil would've drained back down.

And yes, like others have already said... too much oil in there will cause problems.

Let me google that for you

While most people would forgive you for a newbie mistake... you might not forgive yourself if you suddenly find yourself having to do repair work because of that mistake.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Yea i guess I made a stupid mistake.

Anyhow, the B1 maintenance has been completed. What's done is done.