General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage for a 2007 sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Gas mileage for a 2007 sport

I just Bought a fit sport 2007 with 100k on it , Yes i know its alot but Im wondering how many miles should i get to a tank? I filled it tuesday and have about a little more then a half a tank and only drove 82 miles. Maybe Im gunning it to much because I have only own trucks since i was sixteen . My first car.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
when you filled it up how many gallons went in?

your tank should have 10-11 gallons in it, so 82 and at 1/2 a tank is really off.

what kind of maintenance has it had? spark plugs changed, oil changes, transmission fluid or do you not know it's history?

also, auto or mt?

let us know. more knowledgeable peeps, chime in.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing that I know of . I plan on getting a oil change today and checking everything out on it . But I thought it was really off too. I figure maybe my heavy foot. Its a auto

Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Silvermelon19
Nothing that I know of . I plan on getting a oil change today and checking everything out on it . But I thought it was really off too. I figure maybe my heavy foot. Its a auto
That's less than half what you should be getting. Start with overhauling all your fluids, inspect your drive belt, replace your spark plugs, etc... The fit is fairly easy in terms of long term maintenance. And of course, lay off of the heavy foot. No sense in speeding off at every light, you only have 100hp.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Well I did the oil change what other fluids should I check?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Well I did the oil change what other fluids should I check?
- Air filter & dust/pollen filter
- Fuel filter
- Spark Plugs
- Check drive belt for cracks/wear
- Check idle
- Replace engine coolant
- Replace Transmission fluid

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I would also disconnect the battery and press on the brakes to reset the ECU.

You could consider using a product like seafoam to clean out any engine sludge but I think its advised in the manual not to use products like that. You could try cycling oil changes every 600 miles see if you can't get some of that dirt and grim out that way.

Edit: looks like you can use a product like amsoil engine flush because it uses detergents and not solvents. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/flsh.aspx

Last edited by Mr. Win; 03-09-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well the air filter looks good not sure about the spark plugs tho. I dont know if the dealership gave it a tune up or not after the first owner sold it . I have been driving slower and not gunning it so much to see if that helps. I do live in a city with alot of traffic and lights so im gonna see where this last half a tank gets me . thanks for the help.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Well the air filter looks good not sure about the spark plugs tho. I dont know if the dealership gave it a tune up or not after the first owner sold it . I have been driving slower and not gunning it so much to see if that helps. I do live in a city with alot of traffic and lights so im gonna see where this last half a tank gets me . thanks for the help.
I live in New York City, it doesn't get any worse than that. And I get twice what you're getting on a bad day.

The amsoil stuff is cheap, start there. A lot of fit owners drive their cars until the oil life sensor tells them to change their oil and thats a recipe for gunk in the engine. Resetting the ecu will help as well.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
horrible gas mileage

I have the exact same car as you, an '07 Fit Sport, however mine is manual and a lot peppier. You thought you had high mileage? I bought mine a year ago with 125,000 miles. Hondas well maintained should last at least 300,000. Now I have 138,000. The first tankful, I got 30 mpg on cruise on western Interstates set at 83mph with 500 pounds of me and luggage on board. When I slowed down on the same cross country trip from AZ to NY, at 60mph, I got 42.5mpg.

The Fit manual says the gas tank capacity is 10.8 gallons. I have learned that the tortuous path of the fuel filler tube causes frothing and premature shutoff of automatic gas pumps. If you are real slow and careful, looking down the filler neck, filling it very slowly, you can get almost TWO more gallons into the tank. I have put 12.5 gallons into my car, and it still runs great.

You can't determine accurate fuel mileage unless you fill the tank the same every time. If you don't want to do that, I suggest you check mileage after more tankfuls, roughly 10 or 15 should yield a good number. In other words, after than many tankfuls, total the miles, and divide that number by the total gallons added over that time. Keep an index card in the glovebox. It's a good idea to keep track of gas use so that you'll know if mileage degrades, something is wrong and needs attention. Today's cars don't need tuneups anywhere near as often as they did 40-50 yrs. ago, but they still need a look every few years. Has your fuel filter been changed lately?

If you are concerned about getting best gas economy, I suggest you switch to full synthetic motor oil. Amsoil or Mobil 1 are both good. I change my oil & filter every 20,000 miles. I've done this since the mid 1980's and oil consumption has not changed during 200,000 miles before the body rusted out. Fuel economy stayed the same. I use the best filter money can buy. Two that are good are Mobil 1 and K & N. They cost about 3x as much as basic Fram, but it's cheap insurance. Especially if you want to go 20,000 miles between changes. When you do that, it's actually cheaper than changing regular oil every 3,000 miles. Synthetic oil has totally different chemistry, so it doesn't oxidize and form acids which corrode metal engine parts such as bearings like conventional motor oil does. That's why Mobil 1 sells oil advertised good for 15,000 miles between changes.

You should be able to get your Fit to deliver at least 35mpg for combination highway and city driving. Keep your tires inflated properly and that will help. Good luck, you can get that mileage up significantly!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
There are a bunch of DIY's in here on how to change the A/T fluid and more and I know for a fact the A/T fluid is easy to get to. How easy? I changed 3 qts out the last time I changed my oil w/o missing a beat. I'll change out 3 more quarts the next oil change just to keep it fresh-fresh.

I would honestly suggest you do the battery unplug/reset so that the ECU can get used to how you drive. That isn't alot of mileage honestly but your mileage really does suck so something is bogging your engine down.

I've got 112,000 miles on my 2007 A/T fit as of tomorrow (111,994) but it's rolling like a champ. And by rolling I can easily get 35 mpg on the highway even now but my advantage in that is that there are no hills in Florida. Besides the oil change and the a/t drain/fill you should definitely inspect the spark plugs and make sure they aren't original b/c if they are you are going to need new ones. (again, AMAZON) One tip, the spark plugs are covered by the coil packs so make sure you have some dielectric grease handy when you take it off so when you put them back on you make sure they are covered so to speak. And those coil packs might go bad on you (there's a thread on that) but they are really easy to take off and on so don't let the dealer rip you off about $300-$400 and do it yourself.

Check the coolant, if that ish looks old you'll need to change it. Mine's overdue but I haven't had time to get around to it since I've been working so much.

Read alot of the forums on here, alot of the issues or concerns you'll have can be answered on here. There are an ass-ton of people on here willing to help, as you've already seen.

Welcome aboard btw!

Last edited by krakhed; 03-09-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: haha
Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I might go and get a Tune up on it just because Iam not to good working on cars. I mean I had a couple of fords and they were easy but never a honda so im not big on the fact of me working on it. I have the car fax and the one owner that had it since it was new only showed batt matenice on it so I dont think she ever had one done. Also wipers replace by the dealer so I know she was basically taking it to the dealer for work. Again thanks for the help and im so happy about my new (used) fit. Next tune up and Window Tints !!!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 AM
how do you reset the battery also...i know i need a turn up.....but my fit only gets 250 to the tank.....07 fit 43000 miles......any insight would help

Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 AM
I also have an 07 sport A/T and I got 29.7 MPG (filled up tonight actually) for intown driving in Montana. Also, I don't really baby the gas pedal... So you should definitely be matching if not beating me in MPG...

Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
im going to do i full tune up...and reset the ecu ...hope to it 300miles to the tank....

Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Yo!

Any luck on getting better MPG out yo' fit yet?

How'd the tune-up and ECU reset go?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 AM
the city driving is a factor but not that bad and to be honest some dealers take higher mileage cars and do just enough to make it driveable and rest is on you. give her a highway run once a week to get the fluids going.

ps
remember some people get rid of cars to avoid maintnence and just get new ones,i knew a women who got rid of her cars after her warranty was up to avoid paying any repairs other than normal stuff

Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Mine is now at 140K.
I do 150km roughly per day and get 300-350 per tank. 35L=$45-50
I get 12kph city driving loaded with 6 dogs, stop and go.
6kph hiway

Not the best but its a work car so it balances

Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Guys, I've been following this forum for many months now. Since we bought a used 2003 CR-V, I've gotten serious about doing as much maintenance as possible myself.

I bought my 2007 Fit Sport in 2009 with 6,000 miles on it. The owner babied it obviously, garaged for most of its life, so I've basically owned it since new.

The car was getting 38-39mpg for highway driving, I'm guessing 30-33 city. I was putting 25,000 miles a year on it, oil changes every 4 or 5k.

In 2013, it started stalling/sputtering/jumping/jerking and I had the valves adjusted. It was only getting 250 miles to the tank. The valve adj. fixed the issue.

A few months ago, it was still driving weak and getting WORSE mileage, so I replaced all the ignition coils and spark plugs. I also used 2 rounds of Chevron Techron treatment to clean the injectors. I swapped coolant.

It drives much better, but my current tank is halfway gone and only at 100 miles!

My question: Could AT fluid be affecting the car this much? Should I try the Amsoil? Sorry for the novel, just wanted to be thorough.

EDIT: I also changed the engine air filter (and the cabin, for what it's worth)

Last edited by Mcoates04; 01-29-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:39 PM
I spoke with a mechanic and he said that it could be due to all of the additives being used in the fuel for winter.. just a thought