General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint Peeling from Front Bumper

Old 08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
wow that is some strange logic in my opinion. shipping tape is for the protection of the vehicle and the car comes with a battery and an antenna. the car does not come with front bumper holes from the factory, and would be considered damage to the vehicle. your examples are not damaging.

if it is the dealers policy to drill holes in your door and mount thier dealer name on the side of your door, does that make it right?? if the dealer scrapes the underside of your bumper while getting it off the truck, is that ok? i mean afterall, you didnt ask them NOT to scrape your bumper, and they are just doing what they are suppose to by getting it off the truck...

Old 08-09-2006, 08:17 PM
So really is there anyway to prevent it from happening? Cover it up with a full nose mask? hehehe

Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I received my car back today and again disappointed. They put a hex bolt in the hole on my bumper and painted it with the touch up paint. The chips caused by the license plate holder were painted as well. Unfortunately, the chip on the rear bumper where the bmper meets the body was not painted. I will see if they really fixed my accessory outlet issue.

BTW, the Honda rep did visit and look at my bumper about the paint peeling issue. He said the paint peel could've occurred because of the 3M protection film on the front bumper. I then asked about the rear bumper which had no film, and they told me that if it the issue about the paint peeling isn't on a service bulletin, they weren't going to repaint it.

Anyone know if consumers can look at released service bulletins?

Finally, concerning the front license plate holder: It IS NOT on the PDI manifest. Again, it is up to the dealer to decide to put a hole into the bumper to secure the front plate holder or not. I'm assuming that most consumers that purchase from a state that requires front plates wouldn't care if the car was damaged with the front plate bolt because the plate holder would cover it up. What about out of state customers? Do they just accept it?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up my Fit today. Glad to be out of the Element! Everything looks great. They (body shop the Honda dealer uses) used Milano Red, not some other red to try to match. Both bumpers were repainted, despite my rear not yet showing signs of paint issues. The spacing between the bumper and the fender appears to be the same, so I'm not sure if I'll run into this issue again.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 PM
i do not have my fit yet so i can not check this out myself. is it possible to stick some washers somewhere to put some space between the bumper and the fender?? i do not know where the bolts are, but this might be a really simple solution, or it could be impossible.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cliu
happens in my girlfriends silver fit. passenger side front bumper where the bumper meets the fender, the paint peels.
Here it is. It's not that noticeable but I'm afraid it will get worse. Took delivery of car on May 31, garaged most of the time, with a little over 1500 miles on it so far.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinGin
Here it is. It's not that noticeable but I'm afraid it will get worse. Took delivery of car on May 31, garaged most of the time, with a little over 1500 miles on it so far.

I wonder if its the tape they're using during delivery. I do a lot of photographic printing and fine art print archiving and anything that is remotely acidic is a big nono. I would imagine with any paint, it would be the same. If you apply a tape that isn't acid-free to the car, and with the amount of exposed heat and sun from delivery, it's going to do some damage to the paint. Just a random thought.

If thats the case, they might as well spread bird crap over the car to protect it during delivery.

Last edited by fm2n; 08-11-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Woo!

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!

Finally got back form vacation and got things straight with Honda and my paint issue. Norm Reeves did good and i already had a case # with Honda N.A. so it sped things up. Im dropping my car of on Monday and will get it back Thursday with new painted and clay/waxed bumpers with lifetime warranty from the dealer body shop. there gonna strip everything on the bumper then redo the whole paint process from scratch.

theres hope just call Honda NA first then once you get the case going on there go to your dealer...even got a rental for the time without the car.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I just called Honda Customer Serivce and they are going to open a case up for my problem aginst the Howdy Honda Dealership that gave me a hardtime.. they are going to have a case worker or whatever contact me within 48hours to see if Honda will pay for a loaner car for me!

if this all goes through.. the dealership iam going to ask them why they dont just repaint the whole bumper instead of just do a spot job like they wanted to do.. which seems pretty stupid.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Someone that Posts too much
I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM ABOUT A MONTH AGO. HONDA TOOK CARE OF IT UNDER WARRANTEE.

Paint is definitely chipping, from what i can tell by looking at it, the problem seems to be starting from underneath the paint and not from road debris. I ran my finger over the paint surrounding the chipped paint and felt like the paint is floating and not sticking to the metal.

I suggest that we start a sticky thread specific to names of people with this problem. Let's try and get a service bulletin going.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by jdmparts@gmail.com
happening on my Tafetta White as well. Both front and rear bumpers. My front bumper is being replaced already because of the hole the dealer drilled into the front. Have to make another call into Honda about the paint peeling at the corners now.

Just shy of 3000 miles.
yeah- what is up with that? i just have the mark where there should be a hole. makes me nuts.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM ABOUT A MONTH AGO. HONDA TOOK CARE OF IT UNDER WARRANTEE.

Paint is definitely chipping, from what i can tell by looking at it, the problem seems to be starting from underneath the paint and not from road debris. I ran my finger over the paint surrounding the chipped paint and felt like the paint is floating and not sticking to the metal.

I suggest that we start a sticky thread specific to names of people with this problem. Let's try and get a service bulletin going.
count me in - thank you all for bringing it to my attention - i thought it was just my hood that was a problem but now that i checked out the bumpers i see the same problem you all are having - worse on the pasenger side.

i think Honda was in a hurry to get this little guys out when gas went to 3 bucks a gallon. i am not happy - made an appointment with service - they are so darn nasty.

i better get a car cause i live in ny and my dealer is in nj.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
i called honda and believe me they could care less. they took a report on the paint issue and on my poor mpgs and said have a great day.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by jits14
I took mine in last week, they said I have to wait till i meet with a honda rep at the dealer to have him confirm the peeling before the bodyshop would touch it. Then they would take care of it. Is that another way for them to say they dont want to deal with it?
This is after I talked to the bodyshop tech who recieved a warranty fix-it card from me i got from a service personel at the dealership about the peeling. I feel like im getting the run-around.
Finally decided to call Honda America on Friday about it. They appoligized for any inconvienence and said to drop it off at the dealership and everything will be taken care of on saturday. I dropped it off on saturday and they took me to enterprise to get a rental. I am driving a pos cavalier that feels like it is eight years old and its an 04, but I am happy that it is finally getting taken care of before it got worse and I even got a car for the meantime. I really miss driven the Fit, really miss it.

I guess they were nice cause i was getting the runaround and no one seemed to want to deal with it. I said that it seems like the dealership is poorly representing the customer appreciation from Honda and these matters of paint need to be dealt with immeadiatly.

Last edited by jits14; 08-14-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jits14
Finally decided to call Honda America on Friday about it. They appoligized for any inconvienence and said to drop it off at the dealership and everything will be taken care of on saturday. I dropped it off on saturday and they took me to enterprise to get a rental. I am driving a pos cavalier that feels like it is eight years old and its an 04, but I am happy that it is finally getting taken care of before it got worse and I even got a car for the meantime. I really miss driven the Fit, really miss it.

I guess they were nice cause i was getting the runaround and no one seemed to want to deal with it. I said that it seems like the dealership is poorly representing the customer appreciation from Honda and these matters of paint need to be dealt with immeadiatly.
That's what everyone here should do to get faster response directly from Honda...this clearly is a defect either with the paint or the assembly of the bumper...I even got a call directly from Honda authorizing the repaint...anyway, I took mine in, they promised me a full repaint of the bumpers, hopefully they do a dealer job...I'll get it back in couple of days...

Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 PM
I was drying off my car after a wash and noticed my paint peeling on my front driver side roof. The passenger side rear bumper paint just wiped right off when I lightly wiped it dry with a microfiber. I thought it was only my car now I see how many of you had this same problem. I went out to my car after seeing this thread and just noticed peeling on my front passenger side near the headlight and fender. I am pissed.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Golof
I was drying off my car after a wash and noticed my paint peeling on my front driver side roof. The passenger side rear bumper paint just wiped right off when I lightly wiped it dry with a microfiber. I thought it was only my car now I see how many of you had this same problem. I went out to my car after seeing this thread and just noticed peeling on my front passenger side near the headlight and fender. I am pissed.
join the club...this is a defect that will affect virtually to all Fit eventually...

Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
join the club...this is a defect that will affect virtually to all Fit eventually...
Honda should just repaint all our fits, and I mean the entire car. I can dream

Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I just called Honda Customer Serivce and they are going to open a case up for my problem aginst the Howdy Honda Dealership that gave me a hardtime.. they are going to have a case worker or whatever contact me within 48hours to see if Honda will pay for a loaner car for me!

if this all goes through.. the dealership iam going to ask them why they dont just repaint the whole bumper instead of just do a spot job like they wanted to do.. which seems pretty stupid.
Alright, I got a call back from Honda saying they are going to pay for a loaner car! so my car will be at the dealership for a day or so to get FIXED!!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:54 PM
I called Honda of America today about my dealer not painting my bumper issues. They've assigned me a case number and will call me back later. I've been really impressed by their phone customer support folks. Unlike other customer support folks, they seem pretty understanding and empathetic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Peeling from Front Bumper