General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint Peeling from Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
this is crazy...it's only been two months and factory paints' peeling...

Old 07-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Is this only VBPs experiencing this problem???? Is anyone seeing this with a color other than VBP?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I already made an appointment to bring it in, they better retify this apparent paint defect...i'm also having issues with my wiper blade scraping across the glass instead of smooth movement...sigh~~~ what more can we ask for for a 2007 vehicle...

Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trowpa
Is this only VBPs experiencing this problem???? Is anyone seeing this with a color other than VBP?
I got a white and its happening too..

Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I got a white and its happening too..
bummer - was hoping at least it was limited in some way....

Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
happens in my girlfriends silver fit. passenger side front bumper where the bumper meets the fender, the paint peels.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is also peeling... front bumper left side...
calis de tabarnac !

Philippe

Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Zero problems so far (knock on wood).

Except for that curb incident, which caused my driver side bumper t o grow a gap of 5 mm to my fender (got it fixed at the dealer, is now down to 1 mm).

That might be a blessing in disguise? However, nothing wrong with my passenger side, yet.

Sport Alabaster Silver, took delivery June 23rd

Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Retired Moderator
I've had mine since the end of April...how long have the others had their car for that have this peeling problem too? Could be a certain batch of Fits or maybe it takes time to develop..

Old 07-26-2006, 01:23 AM
question: is this only happening on the bumper? i hope that this is the case because it is much easier to have the bumper repaired than the entire car.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:33 AM
Retired Moderator
hmmm I notice that the hood can get scratched up pretty easily, but the roof and door panels and fenders are not a problem
maybe its just the bumpers and the hood?!?!?! If it gets that bad, I just hope Honda will issue some sorta rebate or something for maybe $1000 so we can go fix it ourselves or something or use it towards something else

Old 07-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Milano Red here and I've got it at both ends of the rear bumper. Is it worth the color mismatch to have it repainted?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by nexus4400
Milano Red here and I've got it at both ends of the rear bumper. Is it worth the color mismatch to have it repainted?
Well it is a relatively new car, so colour matching should not be a problem if you go to a reputable body shop. There should be no fading yet. Either way, I would bring it to your dealers attention and see what they will be doing about it. That will also help the rest of us out to seek some sorta compensation. Personally, I would prefer money over the fix since I know a good body shop and I don't have to go to where the dealership sends their cars to. That, and I would have the option of either repairing it or getting something else...

You know what, I will take the lead on this topic and I will contact Honda Canada and Honda US about this problem. I will also be using this site and thread as a reference to prove that this is not an isolated problem. Anyone who has this problem and access to a digital camera PLEASE POST AN IMAGE OF THE DAMAGE. That way they can investigate this problem and provide a solution quickly and decisively.

Last edited by Illusive; 07-26-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 AM
I had the same problem on my silver fit except the problem was with the rear bumper and a small area forward of the passenger door. They had a body shop fix it and covered it as a warranty issue. It looks perfect now. The body shop even painted a small chip that I made on the bumper myself too... I guess as a bonus...

Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Illusive
I've had mine since the end of April...how long have the others had their car for that have this peeling problem too? Could be a certain batch of Fits or maybe it takes time to develop..
Illusive - thanks for taking the lead on this. You bring up a very important question - is it a certain batch of FIts or is it just a certain amount of time before the problem appears - What is the best way to compile this data and figure it out?

Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Mine was looking ok but I unscrewed the bumper edge nut
and that's how I saw that the paint was soft like a paste
and peeling... It look like to much paint on the edge or a
bad prep of the plastic before painting...

Philippe

Old 07-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Our bumpers absolutely require a primer, but it's not the type of primer one applies to steel surfaces after pretreatment and E-coating. It's technically called AD-PRO or adhesion promoter. If this process was not applied, your bumpers and injected-molded painted parts wouldn’t make it through the first car wash w/o the top coat peeling like a bad sunburn. I've worked at Honda's US manufacturing operations and can assure you that skipping this process isn’t going to happen. That being said, paint chemistry, paint temp/humidity during application and oven curing could present issues being raised. But my notion is that we, US Mfg'g, use a 2-k clear coat process with thermal exhaust abatement of VOC's. Japan may take the waterborne approach thus reducing capital costs for abatement and fuel to feed the abatement beast. Remember, we pay a lot less for natural gas than the other developed nations, excluding Russia but are they that developed, i.e. Ladas

Old 07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
will check mine

Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I have NH black and after reading this, i noticed a little paint peel on my driver side. it isnt much but it is enough to know that this is part of bigger problem

Last edited by jits14; 08-11-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
its happening on mine too. drivers side. its not bad. but its still pretty lame.

Quick Reply: Paint Peeling from Front Bumper