General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint Peeling from Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Retired Moderator
Just searched both Honda sites (.ca and .com) and could not find an e-mail address that I could reach them at. I will have to call them after work today and see what they say.

I'm glad to hear that at least one of us has already had this problem fixed on their Fit. I'm quite disappointed with my dealer right now as I still haven't heard back from them yet. I've had much better service at other dealership service departments. All they did was take that picture and complain about how there are 600,000+ Fits in the world and there is no bulletin for this type of problem. Their rating is going to go down fast...

Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Iam going to take my car to the dealer and see what they have to say.. If I have to I will show them the fourms!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Quick Fix!!!

Ok i just got my Fit on 7/14. After reading this post i DID notice that the 2 points on the front and rear bumper that connect to the fender are really really tight and bear hugging the bumper/fender. the 4 screws are extremely easy to access....wouldnt loosing them up a tad easy the stress and therefore prevent the paint peel???

i own a Storm Silver and do not have any paint peel (yet...knock on wood). but did notice that over time the considering how tight the bumpers are itll come off over time. let me know if any one else DOES NOT HAVE paint peel and maybe we can do a group try and see if this actually will prevent the paint peeling....im gonna loosen mine tonight after work.

FYI:
from the headlight area where the bumper/fender meet i can get a fingernail in there....as i follow the line down to wheel where the bumper fender meet i cant even get a hair in there

Last edited by milano sol; 07-26-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Like I said before. My Storm Silver FIT did have the paint peel and the dealer even said that previous ACCORDS had the same problem. I would call the HONDA customer care line if you can't find any alternative. My dealer actually sublet the paint work to a quality bodyshop nearby. The have a great customer service rating though so maybe that is why I was treated so well. If any of you are from FLORIDA I highly recommend DUVAL Honda in Jacksonville, they are honest are extremely good at customer service. Good luck

Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Retired Moderator
Just phoned Honda and the lady took down my information and my concern and will be filing a report about the peeling paint to their head office. I told her that there are other Fits on this forum that have reported the same problem. She urged me to tell everyone to call Honda immediately about the problem so that they can identify that this is not an isolated issue and that it affects more than a single car. That way, they can isolate the problem and correct it for everyone immediately. If we simply bring it into our dealers, it could take a while for them to post a bulletin. Just have your VIN handy when you call. Took me 5 mins to speak with them about the problem.

For Canada, call 1-888-9-HONDA-9 (1-888-946-6329)

For US, call (800) 999-1009

Old 07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Called Honda Canada and gave them my info.
I went to a dealer tonight and just missed the paint guy, but another person from the service department thought that the paint 'felt wrong'.
I will go back hopefully tomorrow when the paint guy is there.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Blinky
Called Honda Canada and gave them my info.
I went to a dealer tonight and just missed the paint guy, but another person from the service department thought that the paint 'felt wrong'.
I will go back hopefully tomorrow when the paint guy is there.
Wow that was fast Blinky! Wonder what he meant by "felt wrong".

Oh and before I forget: Giggity Giggity Goooo!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
I just took a pic of one of the side rear bumper...

Old 07-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by 8251reefer
Like I said before. My Storm Silver FIT did have the paint peel and the dealer even said that previous ACCORDS had the same problem. I would call the HONDA customer care line if you can't find any alternative. My dealer actually sublet the paint work to a quality bodyshop nearby. The have a great customer service rating though so maybe that is why I was treated so well. If any of you are from FLORIDA I highly recommend DUVAL Honda in Jacksonville, they are honest are extremely good at customer service. Good luck
w00t another Jax guy...whats up man? But I got mine at Lucas im about to go up there and let them know and see what they will do.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Just went out and checked all 4 bumpers on my MR. Sure enough, a bit of peel starting on the left rear bumper area.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
kos
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
I just took a pic of one of the side rear bumper...

God, that looks horrendous. This kind of turns me off from the Fit, I hope this is just an isolated batch of poorly painted bumpers.

Btw, anyone loosen the bumper and had any success? I mean if the bumper really is THAT tight, any stress or flex from regular driving could certainly cause the paint to begin to recede from the edges.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
If you're going to let a quarter inch of bad paint turn you off from a great car then you need some therapy or something.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by kos
I mean if the bumper really is THAT tight, any stress or flex from regular driving could certainly cause the paint to begin to recede from the edges.
Interestingly, some S2000 owners (I forget which model year) have the same issue. It appears to be because the bumper is too tight against the body sheetmetal, causing rubbing.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...0&#entry201942

Sounds like a similar problem here. I'll keep an eye out on mine when (if) it comes in....

JonasM

Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I will call them today! I really would like this to get taken care of for us.. so lets all start calling.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Retired Moderator
I believe that this is only a USDM problem. Our front ends are different from the other Fits around the world to meet our safety regulations.

The more calls the better, then Honda will know sooner that they have a big problem on their hands and fix this right away before they have a mob of unhappy and unruly Fit owners...

*grabs pitchfork and torch*

Old 07-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Ok i loosened my bumpers front and rear and DID notice that the paint on the bumpers felt almost rubbery not solid or smooth like the rest of the car (including the bodykit that the sports come with) so this is a bumper only issue. if my paint im going to the dealer and sending some letters out.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Angry

Old 07-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by thejroisgo

you have Nighthawk Black?

Old 07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
how do you loosen the bumper? maybe those that don't have peeling yet should do it before it rubs even more

Old 07-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
OH STFU! Not a nbp? dam nit to hell! must check mine now. DA mnit!

Quick Reply: Paint Peeling from Front Bumper