General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Best way to handle oil changes

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Best way to handle oil changes

What is the best way to get the oil changed on a Honda Fit?

When I talked to the dealership service adviser over the phone, he said I should be using 20 weight synthetic oil. He said regular oil gets too hot and burns up. Synthetic would cost about 60-70 bucks for a change.

But when I went to the dealership with my 30.00 oil change coupon the guy told me I would be getting a "house blend".

I was going to the tire shop across from my work because it is cheap and so convenient. I don't know what they were putting in and I don't want it to burn up in the hot summer. But synthetic is costly.

Just wondering what you savvy experts are doing out there.

Thanks,

B

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
"House blend" is most likely just 5w-20, which isn't a problem, since that's what the Fits used prior to 2011. While it won't cause any physical issues with the car, the dealers won't use it on 2011 or 2012, since Honda specifies that new Fits use 0w-20.

Have you noticed the oil numbers? The 20 is the "weight" of the oil when its warmed up by the engine. The 0 or 5 is when the oil is still "cold."

I assume by "regular oil," he means non-synthetic oil... aka "conventional oil," or "dino" oil. There's no problem with regular oil in the Fit. It's just more important to keep the weight close to spec, 0w-20 or 5w-20. A small deviation is okay, if you know what you're doing.

If you're willing to do the oil change yourself, it would cost about $30 for a 5 qt jug of 0w-20 oil (if you find it on sale). Of which, you should have a bit over a qt left over after an oil change. After three oil changes, you should have just about enough for a 4th oil change leftover. So, 4 oil changes for about $90, makes it roughly $23 per oil change.

Want the garage across the street to do it? Ask them what they use. If they refuse to tell you... go elsewhere.

Ultimately... if you don't know something, and you're worried about it... well, you should find out.

You cannot remain ignorant of things you worry about... cause you'll never know when to stop worrying about it.

It's just that simple.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
In non-turbo trim, I get the bulk 0w20 synthetic at my dealer pumped into my own contaner and a new filter for ~$35 out the door.

Sounds like they are bending you over

Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for those replies.
Very clear and very helpful.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Regular oil gets too hot and burns up?

Ask him to put this in writing, as he's full of it. They ship the car with regular oil, albeit a slightly different blend from what they use in subsequent changes.

I'd guess that only a small percentage of 2008-2010 Fit drivers are putting synthetic oil into their $16,000 cars.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:40 PM
It is possible the adviser assumed it was a 2011/2012 Fit and he has orders to push the synthetic. Sales are still slow at my dealership and they are under pressure to sell, sell sell.
It is a good thing a forum like this exists, it helps me balance when I need to go to the dealer and when I can find a cheaper alternative. I have been a member for just a short time but I am impressed by how many smart people are on this forum.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM
You should still be skeptical of everything you read here.

Some people will pretend to know more than they actually do to sound smart on the intarwebz.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You should still be skeptical of everything you read here.

Some people will pretend to know more than they actually do to sound smart on the intarwebz.
Aw, I thought if it's on the internet it must be true.

Yes, a good quality 5w-20 conventional will be fine for you. A lot of people here run synthetic, but it's not required. If I wasn't doing my own oil changes i'd probably do conventional myself, synthetic changes at dealerships and shops gets expensive (like $80). DIY it's about $35 with Honda filter with synthetic.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Do it yourself. 5/20 full synthetic.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I'd guess that only a small percentage of 2008-2010 Fit drivers are putting synthetic oil into their $16,000 cars.
This logic is just flawed to me. What does it matter what the car costs, an engine is an engine is an engine. Price of the vehicle shouldn't determine what is done or added to a vehicle.

What would you consider a price of a vehicle to be before it gets quality parts or synthetic oil?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That

Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Theres a reason I have a particular comedian-cum-automotive-engineer on ignore.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I put syn oil in my Fit but it's not much more expensive when you do it yourself. As noted here, syn oil is often highly marked up when you're being charged to have someone else put it in your car.

Under the theory that maybe syn oil is 'better' for your car, it's a matter of cost vs. risk & reward. If my car cost as much as my house I'd make damn sure that I didn't risk hurting it. I'd fix a leak in my house roof faster than a leak in my car roof, too.

My bicycle, which cost $400, I can afford to have break, so I don't spend lots of money keeping it in top shape.

So, my point was that I'd expect that people driving $100,000 cars are more apt to use syn oil than people driving $16,000 cars. The worst thing that happens with a $16,000 car is, you're out $16,000. Or let's say $4000 for the engine (just a guess) vs. a lot more if the engine in your BMW M5 blows up.

And before people start with the bashing, no, I'm not suggesting that regular oil will blow up your engine.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by borderline55
What is the best way to get the oil changed on a Honda Fit?

When I talked to the dealership service adviser over the phone, he said I should be using 20 weight synthetic oil. He said regular oil gets too hot and burns up. Synthetic would cost about 60-70 bucks for a change.

But when I went to the dealership with my 30.00 oil change coupon the guy told me I would be getting a "house blend".

I was going to the tire shop across from my work because it is cheap and so convenient. I don't know what they were putting in and I don't want it to burn up in the hot summer. But synthetic is costly.

Just wondering what you savvy experts are doing out there.

Thanks,

B
House blend 5w20 is good enough. If you really want to put full synthetic in go get Redline Red Line Synthetic Oil is a ester base oil. I am on my fourth house blend oil change with no oil consumption or other problems and I get it changed at around 7500 miles. House synblend is a group 2, 2+,3,3+ oil and is a very good oil, that is what they use in the big trucks except the oil weight is heavier 15w40.

The dealer is way off base on saying oil burns up. If you need 0w20 in your car I would stay and use dealer oil so if there is a problem there is a record of it. Look for dealer coupons and that should bring the cost down.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Conventional is fine. I run Synthetic because I take really good care of my car and want it to last a long as possible. I've read that over time you will have less problems, which will mean less maintenance costs. If you don't plan on keeping your car for 15-20 years, I wouldn't worry about it. It might help with re-sale, but it would be pretty marginal... depends on who is looking to buy your car...

I have my oil changes it done at the dealership. I don't have the time with 3 kids under the age of 4 to be doing a lot of meddling in the garage. A conventional oil change is $32 and Synthetic is $64... 2 oil changes a year works out to $128 versus $64. To me that is no big deal.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb Schools of thought

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
This logic is just flawed to me. What does it matter what the car costs, an engine is an engine is an engine. Price of the vehicle shouldn't determine what is done or added to a vehicle.
Yup. I agree

Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
So, my point was that I'd expect that people driving $100,000 cars are more apt to use syn oil than people driving $16,000 cars.
Here's another angle - Those who can afford 6-figure tagged cars care less about their cars coz they can afford it.

Those in "My Fit" category value their investments more perhaps so they take care of it more, personally.

$1k to one could be worth lesser than $100 to another.

To the OP, do your own research. Find out for yourself and definitely not just based on this forum. If you talk to 10 of your buds who own cars, you'll probably get 10 difft. answers. Then you sort it out and come up with your own that fits your priorities.

Last edited by Subie; 05-02-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
$1k to one could be worth lesser than $100 to another.
I doth concur.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 AM
That same logic/proportion would apply to the price difference between regular and synthetic oil and the cost/benefit analysis is the same.

I think we're all generalizing here, the only certainty is that someone who can afford a $100,000 car can almost certainly afford the more expensive oil change, whereas some owners of a $16,000 car can, and others can't.

Either way, regular oil's fine (it's probably a lot better than it was 30 years ago) and if there's any benefit to synthetic oil it's not much, HS-educated shade-tree mechanics' claims that "My car feels faster and sounds smoother with synthetic oil and everyone else is wrong" notwithstanding. If there were a huge difference then I'm sure that the makers of synthetic oil would have solid data rather than puffery for advertising.

But to answer your original question, the best way to get your oil changed is to avoid having it done by people who are either way wrong or lying to you.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
"Peace of mind" is an attention grabber and it sells. "Convenience" also sells. The detail oriented, seeks their own, with a dash of both.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Local Honda dealer (Ed Voyles) charges $51 for 0w20 and filter. They also top off other fluids (windshield washer, coolant), pulled wheels to check brake wear (I need pads, thank you for the information), tested the battery, did a general inspection of the drivetrain, and washed it.

Be careful though, if you pull in for an A2 service they'll do the same thing and charge $150. Just tell'm you want the oil changed. And slap them if they try to sell you cabin/engine filters for $100 each.

I specify synthetic because it doesn't hurt and might help. It might even be cost effective over 10k oil changes due to fuel savings. Outside of certain turbo-charged applications I don't think there's anyone saying you have to use it.

House blend? That's the first I've heard this term outside of starbucks.

Someone needs to check DSMs ignore function. It's broken. Or it's user error.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to handle oil changes