General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda fit alomost killed me today

Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Honda fit alomost killed me today

We purchased a brand new 2008 Honda fit in 2008. After the first year there was a slight hesitation in the morning. We brought it to the deal and they said nothing. The hesitation gradually got so bad that I started to have my wife drive my car. Every oil change we complained and they kept telling us there was nothing wrong. The idling became so bad that I told my wife to take my car and I took hers. I was actually on my way to the dealership this morning when I was pulling out into traffic and the car just died. I got it started and limp to the side of the road. The engine light is now on and I got it home. I am now going to attempt to get it to the dealer again. The problem started around 35K-40K miles; it now has 60K miles and is undrivable. The car has had all its regular maintains. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do if they don't find the problem. Honda doesn't give a rats butt. They told me it's only the 2009's!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jetscream
They told me it's only the 2009's!
Can you explain?

Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
They said the recall for stalling was only for the 2009-2010's.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Obviously something is wrong. That said, don't go to that dealer; they aren't treating you right.

In some defense of the dealer, interment problems can be hard to diagnose.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by jetscream
They said the recall for stalling was only for the 2009-2010's.
They are correct in that there isn't an engine recall on your vehicle.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
there is no stalling recall for the 09....there is a lost motion spring recall for the 09

I should know because my 09 stalled on day and I had to replace maf sensor , plugs, and coil packs (which turned out to be ok....i'm holding on to them)

take it to another dealer, they have no clue.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well now if the engine light is on they will be able to pull the codes and have a better idea what is going on

Old 05-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Since the OP's car is a 2008 rather than a 2nd gen, I would suspect coil packs. Either they are bad or need some electrical connection grease to help with contact points.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
I also think coil packs

Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
My 2008 Honda Fit had a problem where at approximately 40k miles it would start to idle very rough. After bringing it to the dealer several times and having them update the computer the problem still occured until the car would stall when the rpms got low. The solution was having them adjust the valves. Perhaps your Fit is having the same issue. At first the car would only have issues if the engine was cold, but after time it just didn't matter. I think I also had the problem resolved around 55k to 60k miles. To which my dealer responded "oh yes, it's a known issue amongst the 2008 Fits." Their response merely made me want to strangle them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aristyn; 05-17-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:42 AM
If its a big of a problem as you are trying to make it out to be, why haven't you actually had it diagnosed? You say you complained.

Honestly nobody cares about a complainer. Have you ever offered to actually, dare I say it, pay to have it diagnosed? Even if Honda comes up with nothing. Do you live in such a remote area where there are no other shops around?

Seriously you state you have a problem, but don't really say much about how in 20k+ miles how you went about trying to fix it besides the occasional "complaining."

Another piece of the puzzle I would like to know is what do you define as "regular" maint? Just oil changes? Because doing just oil changes isn't going to fix all your drivability problems.

I'm not trying to rip you a new a**hole. It's just your post sounds like your fit problem. Alot of complaining and not really any info to go of off. Besides "it hesitates."

Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
If its a big of a problem as you are trying to make it out to be, why haven't you actually had it diagnosed? You say you complained.

Honestly nobody cares about a complainer. Have you ever offered to actually, dare I say it, pay to have it diagnosed? Even if Honda comes up with nothing. Do you live in such a remote area where there are no other shops around?

Seriously you state you have a problem, but don't really say much about how in 20k+ miles how you went about trying to fix it besides the occasional "complaining."

Another piece of the puzzle I would like to know is what do you define as "regular" maint? Just oil changes? Because doing just oil changes isn't going to fix all your drivability problems.

I'm not trying to rip you a new a**hole. It's just your post sounds like your fit problem. Alot of complaining and not really any info to go of off. Besides "it hesitates."
^^^^^ agreed
it hesitates? i work at a honda dealer, and we aren't perfect, but if they looked and couldn't find it and you never went on a test drive with a mechanic, well then it sounds like it's time!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
^^^^^ agreed
it hesitates? i work at a honda dealer, and we aren't perfect, but if they looked and couldn't find it and you never went on a test drive with a mechanic, well then it sounds like it's time!
Bro, he already complained. That's all he can do. Complain to the dealer when he gets his oil changed and complain to us on the internet

Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
OP (jetscream), I don't know why it took you this long and 60k mi later... and having been on this forum for just as long , you could have picked up some odds and ends (insights) of what others have gone through/experienced. I "would have" elevated this to the next level - 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions from other dealers, other mechanics, Honda USA, etc... not wait till I'm almost killed.

For sure those "should have"/"would have"/"could haves" are definitely killers... Good luck!