General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Update on my Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Update on my Trailer

As I've stated before... In 2008 I went from a full size 2006 GMC Sierra truck to the Honda Fit. Not much after I added a hitch and wiring kit to the Fit for both a bicycle carrier, and a trailer.

I am using a 4'x8' folding trailer that stores upright and only takes up about 5'x2' of floor space. It works great for those occassional duties where you need some open storage like a truck bed.

I helped 2 people move this past weekend, and it gave me an opportunity to update the sides I use on the trailer. I mounted the sides outside the staked 2x4's to allow using more then 4'x8' of storage space on the trailer. I also replaced the bolts and nuts I was using to attach the sides with drilled out bolts with cotter pins, plus corner stake connectors. This allows for easier and much quicker removal/installation of the sides... which need to be removed when folding and storing the trailer.

I have under $400 in the trailer (with all new parts), and it's been a great addition to the "tool" collection.

Last edited by mnapuran; 09-06-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ holy crap! didnt know Fit can pull so much. GJ on the trailer. i like how it folds to save space while in storage.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Oh yea... tows well! Check this out too: Towing my Cruiser / Motorcycle with the Honda Fit

Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
very nice! I need to put sides on my 4x8 trailer.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
NIce! DAm thats alot of stuff to tow

Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mnapuran

Nice!!! Very NICE!!!!
Been wondering how much space it takes up when folded... Gotta get one for those HD plywood/sheetrock runs.

Thanks for the pics.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Nice trailer! It looks similar to the one that Harbor Freight Tools and Northern Tool sells, but it has an A-frame tongue and looks a little sturdier. Where did you get it?

-Dustin

Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 PM
The Fit hauls surprisingly well. I think the short gear ratios help it a lot in that regard.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Great job on the trailer guy.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Nice trailer! It looks similar to the one that Harbor Freight Tools and Northern Tool sells, but it has an A-frame tongue and looks a little sturdier. Where did you get it?

-Dustin

Thanks.... yes, this one is the HF one. I like the Northern one just a little more, but it wasn't worth the extra $ at the time. The only real difference between the 2 is the way the tongue is setup.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a shot of the differences....

HF Trailer

Northern

Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mnapuran
Here's a shot of the differences....

HF Trailer

Northern
Thanks for posting those pics. I thought they both carried the exact same trailer, but they're obviously a little different.

- Dustin

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM
So how do you get past the line in the warranty that says if you pull a trailer you void your warranty??? I've got a 5x8 mesh utility trailer and no current way to pull it unless I put a hitch on the Fit...

Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ursenay
So how do you get past the line in the warranty that says if you pull a trailer you void your warranty???
Where are you seeing that?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Used the trailer again today to take 2 loads of trash to the "dump" while cleaning out the garage

Old 09-15-2012, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
I need to get another trailer like that to replace the one my ex bitch decided was her's during the divorce... A little trailer is far more useful than a roof mount rack.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Potenza
Where are you seeing that?
On page 238 of my 2010 owner's manual it states:

Towing a Trailer
Your vehicle is not designed to tow a
trailer. Attempting to do so can void
your warranties.

Note is says "can" not "will"... Who gets to make that determination?

Last edited by Ursenay; 09-16-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member

Towing a Trailer
your warranties.

Guess - you or Honda? Pretty easy eh.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
I remember reading a post from an Australian owner that the owners manuals with their cars says the Fit can tow a trailer..I don't recall what the weight limit is.... I have pulled a number of cars with a tow bar and VW pickup on a trailer with a 60HP VW pickup. I had no problem at all by doing it...In the owners manual that came with my recently purchased 1998 Cadillac Eldorado it restricts towing weight to 1,000 Lbs... I'm pretty sure that the restriction weight so low not using a trailer at all is due to the distribution of front to rear weight on FWD cars... You might have a problem if you have to hit your brakes while in a curve or rounding a corner with a heavy on it...If a Goldwing can cruise at 70+ MPH with a small camping trailer, I can't see why a Fit couldn't safely do likewise.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM

Towing a Trailer
your warranties.

As I understand it, in accordance with the Mangus-Ferguson warranty act, Honda would have to show that your towing or tow hitch precipitated the failure to deny warranty coverage. In practice, this means that you might be denied coverage for things like transmission or suspension failures if you use a tow hitch, but unrelated systems (a broken power window, say) should be covered without question.

I think there are a couple of reasons the towing disclaimer is in the manual. One is to (try to) protect Honda from lawsuits when someone has an accident while towing, possibly because they were pushing the car beyond its limits. Another is to avoid having to do warranty work on parts that were not actually defective, but that were destroyed by being used beyond design limits. Similar situations arise from damage from overloading with too much weight or from high-speed track racing—the damage would not be covered.

There are a fair few cars that are rated to tow moderately sized trailers in Europe but are incapable of towing in the United States, despite having little or no difference in design.

Quick Reply: Update on my Trailer