General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Log: Towing a 4x8 UHaul trailer with a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Subie
I hear ya bud... I've never done it with a small car either. Handling and stability will definitely be different for sure. Just a few weeks ago I drove a 20' UHaul truck towing an SUV on an auto transport trailer from CA to AZ. Both the truck and SUV were packed...

And though I've towed UHaul trailers with cars and SUVs before, this was the longest (in length) and heaviest I've done... Was definitely a test of nerves at times - like fishtailing on bumps, changing lanes in congested city (LA) freeways and crawling on hills where even loaded semis would pass me by. I can say this was the only time I drove at or under the speed limit all the way...

Anyway, as I said just watch your speed, steering, your tail and your brakes (distance and use of)... Keep us posted bud! Be safe!
Thanks again! Yeah I think you definitely feel the trailer tug more on the Fit as it bounces around compared to a larger vehicle. The UHaul guy also noted that the smaller trailers are actually noisier (did not explain why), and I'm sitting a lot closer to it so I hear a lot more as well.

I am very glad I do not need to pass through LA! I am driving by DC, but it will be early in the morning on a Saturday. I will be driving near the SF bay area, but I think the, ahem, 'highlight' of the journey will be the Rockies

Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Whoa! You're taking north route (80) or south route? You got more inclines up north to add to the rockies...

Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
You mentioned that you left the tranny in D3, which I'm guessing is the same as "S" on the shifter, you're just not using the paddle shifters to manually shift the gears. Especially since you installed the tranny cooler would it hurt to just leave it in "D" and let it run through the full range of gears from 1st to 5th? I know with trucks your not supposed to pull a heavy trailer in overdrive, but there have been discussions that the Fit tranny doesn't actually have a conventional overdrive.

-Dustin

Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Whoa! You're taking north route (80) or south route? You got more inclines up north to add to the rockies...
I decided on the northern route, from my research it was described as a more gradual, steady incline and less ups and downs. The path takes me around the mountains for the most part, I'll only hit the Rockies around Salt Lake City as far as I can tell on Google Maps with the terrain layer turned on.

Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
You mentioned that you left the tranny in D3, which I'm guessing is the same as "S" on the shifter, you're just not using the paddle shifters to manually shift the gears. Especially since you installed the tranny cooler would it hurt to just leave it in "D" and let it run through the full range of gears from 1st to 5th? I know with trucks your not supposed to pull a heavy trailer in overdrive, but there have been discussions that the Fit tranny doesn't actually have a conventional overdrive.
I have a A/T regular fit; the sport versions replace D with S but it means the same thing. No paddle shifts on mine. I talked with my mechanic about that, he still felt strongly I should just leave it in D3 and go slow. I hadn't heard that about the Fit's transmission before, but I don't know if I'd want to be the one to test it.. maybe on the flat plains of the midwest.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM
KNG, do you plan on leaving the Fit in D3 the whole time you are on the highway? If you are, I'd retink that. Only on the hills would I stay in D3.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by david223
KNG, do you plan on leaving the Fit in D3 the whole time you are on the highway? If you are, I'd retink that. Only on the hills would I stay in D3.
What's the risk? Would be interested to hear feedback on it - especially if it's something I could cross-reference. I was planning on using it just in the mountains; the mechanic recommended using it the entire way and just taking breaks every 2-3 hours (which I planned on doing anyway) so things could cool down.

Last edited by kng229; 09-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Leaving it in D3 is best. With the extra weight it's pulling if left in D it would shift between 5, 4, & 3 too often and the torque converter builds up heat with every gear change. With the heat build up comes increased degradation of the Trans fluid which can eventually shorten the life of the transmission. Leaving it in D3 puts less work on the tranny and more work on the engine and the engine can take it.

Nebraska and the middle of Utah are the only states on I-80 that I would even think of putting it in D and that's only because they are dead flat and that's only if you don't have to fight a wind blowing across the state (more likely NE).

Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
I vote that you just leave it in "D" for the whole trip. You don't mind potentially sacrificing your tranny for our curiosity do you?

-Dustin

Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Have you checked your tongue weight? The placement of your stuff inside the trailer matters quite a bit to give you a decently balanced weight. This will also affect the feel of the trailer back there while towing.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by mnapuran
Have you checked your tongue weight? The placement of your stuff inside the trailer matters quite a bit to give you a decently balanced weight. This will also affect the feel of the trailer back there while towing.
Only by feel, but it may not be a bad call to get a $9 bathroom scale and a cinder block and check it. It feels pretty good - I can deadlift it off the ball and it's got some strong downward force, but definitely not near the max of 200 lbs. I was very careful loading the trailer to ensure the weight is evenly spread with the goal of a 60/40 split with weight between front and back.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
I have pulled small pop-up camper with Pont 1000 similar to fit. Installed temp gauge and live in Colorado. It would overheat on mountain passes. Solution turn on heater full blast this added considerable cooling ability. Better than burn up motor. Pretty unpleasant inside ,but saved engine and cooled water temperature. I only did this on steep climbs. good luck Martha

Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Can't comment on your journey east of Salt Lake but I will say be careful coming over the mountains heading out of Reno, there's usually construction and everyone drives like it's a racetrack from Reno to Sacramento. There's some steep downgrades after you get to Donner Summit that I know I wouldn't be to happy about driving with a trailer.

This was a good read for me because my wife and I were thinking about picking up a popup tent trailer and we were wondering how much the Fit could tow or if we'd have to use the Chrysler (obvious better choice but it's always good to have a second option).

Good luck on your trip, look forward to updates

Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Can't comment on your journey east of Salt Lake but I will say be careful coming over the mountains heading out of Reno, there's usually construction and everyone drives like it's a racetrack from Reno to Sacramento. There's some steep downgrades after you get to Donner Summit that I know I wouldn't be to happy about driving with a trailer.
Exactly what I was thinking when he said he's taking the north route... the Reno range...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Exactly what I was thinking when he said he's taking the north route... the Reno range...
There's some grades there I have to take in 4th with a MT fully loaded... I figured that's what you were talking about but I had to check his Google map to confirm.

Good thing is there are plenty of turnoffs that are supposed to be used for tire chain installation you could use if the trans starts getting hot. Those highway entrances are really short and hard enough to accel to 70 WITHOUT a trailer, why I suggest the turnoffs instead.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by kng229
What's the risk? Would be interested to hear feedback on it - especially if it's something I could cross-reference. I was planning on using it just in the mountains; the mechanic recommended using it the entire way and just taking breaks every 2-3 hours (which I planned on doing anyway) so things could cool down.
I assume you have a sport with auto trans. My feeling is the risk is the engine rpm's will be real high for a long time. I don't know, I'd worry that little engine doing high rev's for many many hours would not be good.
I would leave the tranny in S and shift it manually with the paddle shifters using all 5 gears. On an incline, I would go down to 4 and on the hills go to 3. If your in gear 5 and you should be in gear 4 or 3 your little engine will let you know by the sound.
I'm not an expert and I don't claim to know more than anyone here. What I am is a retired construction worker that on and off drove trucks with trailers. I also had a hitch on my car and once in a great while did rent from Uhaul. Your engine will let you know what gear to be in.
I wish you a safe trip.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
He mentioned several posts back that it's a base model Fit. So, he only has the choice of leaving it in "D3" or "D", no paddle shifters.

-Dustin

Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
With the Sport that does sound like a good strategy though as 4th gear would probably be a good compromise between 3rd and 5th gear when considering rpms, strain on the tranny, and gas mileage.

-Dustin

Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Alright, first day is in the can. Made it to central Ohio in one piece! A few observations.

- The Fit had no problem at all taking the hills of western PA, Ohio, and the steady incline coming out of DC. I stopped every couple hours to check fluids and the trailer. I ran the heat with the windows cracked because it was a cool day. At the end of it all the engine wasn't even that hot, I could put my hand on the casing. Not sure about the transmission or cooler, but they seemed fine. Fluids did OK, didn't smell burnt or change color.

- The Fit (as expected) could use more power in the mountains. It was able to get up them all OK, but my trailer was pretty jammed full and I had to take it very slow, like a truck in the right lane with flashers. I hopped on US40 for awhile which was a mistake.. there was a 9.5% downgrade for 3 miles and my brakes got heated up - little bit of smoke. I stopped in a flat spot while they cooled down for 45 minutes, and dumped about 250 lbs. of books and extra crap along the side of the road. Drove much better after that, and I'm going to dump another 250 or so with my family here in Ohio.

- Gas mileage was around 26 mpg (car's estimate - didn't calculate actuals yet) for the day. The mountains killed it, it would be running closer to 30 in a flat area.

Overall, I wouldn't see any issue for someone doing this in a generally flat area, it was a cakewalk once I got out of the mountains. If you do go in the mountains, run lighter than I did.. I'll be much lighter once I hit the Rockies. I'm taking Sunday off and staying put, will start again Monday...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update. Be safe bud!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
He mentioned several posts back that it's a base model Fit. So, he only has the choice of leaving it in "D3" or "D", no paddle shifters.

-Dustin
I must have missed that part. Oh well, my mistake sorry.

Quick Reply: Log: Towing a 4x8 UHaul trailer with a Fit