General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

13' Base AT - First Tank only 20MPG, problem or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
Question 13' Base AT - First Tank only 20MPG, problem or no?

I got a 13' Base A/T Fit, my first tank barely ran on 20mpg, 100% city driving.

Now I'm on my second tank, 30% highway, 70% city. Barely getting 24mpg. Should I worry or should I just wait for the car to break it itself? This is my first car so I don't have any prior experience with cars. I'm also a new driver as well.

P.S. went on the freeway today and hit 85mph, then acceleration seems to slow down or stopped. Don't know if it has to do with anything, I didn't floor the gas pedal after 85mph because safety. But yeah, just something to mention.

*Edit: For those of you calling me stupid for going 85mph. It was an empty freeway at 12 AM, I did it with extreme caution, made sure there is no car in front of behind me in several hundred feet. Just wanted to see what my top speed is, curiosity kicked in.
Also, it's a one time thing. It has minimal impact on my mpg as I almost drive city all the time, if not, it raised my mpg just by going on freeway actually.

*UPDATE*
So many of you suggested that it was my driving style, and yes, you guys were correct. This car is my first car, so when I started driving I was a little hot-headed, wanted to try new things. I drove it like how I would drive an Accord V6, but as you can imagine, the Fit is not as powerful as the Accord so I definitely accelerated too aggressively. After almost 4 months of driving about 2,500 miles (not a lot I know, I only commute to my community college and occasionally go out with friends), I have learned how to drive the Fit more efficiently and what to expect from the Fit. My MPG has improved and gone back to the sticker MPG. Thank you for all the tips and advise, and I also apologize for any immature statement/response I've made in this thread.

This is a really neat site to track your MPG accurately, the average MPG tracker built in our instrument panel is kind of off sometimes. Below is my profile.

Last edited by Swangger; 12-29-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by concorde
what's the sticker mpg say.
It says take that OP off the road. 85mph is just plain dumb for new car and dangerous for other drivers.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Gas mileage varies a lot with driving style and driving conditions. For stop and go city driving, 20 mpg is entirely possible (though somewhat lower than most get). If you're sitting stopped with the engine running, you're getting zero mpg; the more your driving resembles being parked, generally speaking, the worse your mileage will be. The mileage will probably improve a little over the first few tanks of gas, but don't expect miracles there.

It sounds like you're expecting the Fit to accelerate on the highway like a sports car or a powerful cruiser. It won't; it doesn't have the power. It will get up to and maintain legal speeds (and then some) without drama and will be a safe and reasonably comfortable ride if driven safely.

One suggestion I'd make is to try thinking/looking farther in front of you while driving, and react earlier to changes. I remember when I was a beginning driver that it was very easy to concentrate only on the road immediately in front of the car, which means that a tiny change in conditions requires hitting the brakes rather than just easing off the gas a bit in advance. (Of course, it's also safer to give yourself a longer reaction time to the situation.) It may also be good to slow down and back off from the cars in front a bit. If this sounds like driving like a granny, consider that grannies have survived many years without dying in a traffic accident.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
being as your the type of person that drives 85mph and wonders why your 100ish hp car cant accelerate like rocket above 85mph, i am also goign to assume you are not driving conseravitvly when city driving....therefor your MPG blows.

this is a somwhat relevant video for you:
143 Top Gear - Toyota Prius BMW M3 Fuel - Car Videos on StreetFire

Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
That video explains it well. You're driving too fast. Wait - stop - don't start typing "no i'm not i am very conservative", we've allll heard that a hundred times. I mean you can claim that if you want, it doesn't bother me if you do :P but that doesn't make it true.

When I was a new driver, I was constantly on the gas or the brake. So this isn't a personal criticism. But it is advice. Now I use both minimally. You grow up, you learn, you change. I suggest you get up the learning curve as quickly as you feel you can, as it will reduce the chances of taking an unintended detour into a guardrail (best case) or an occupied crosswalk (worst).

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Black3sr
It says take that OP off the road. 85mph is just plain dumb for new car and dangerous for other drivers.
Unless you're in Texas..

But not at night...

But then again.

Gotta love it!

Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
WOah i dnt even get that low gas miles and i drive alot of city i own my car since feb im at 15,200

Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
i bought my fit 2 months ago and I have never dipped that low for MPG. It's definitely your driving style. i've been playing around with different driving styles with the Sports AT and cruise control.

I can do 29 MPG combined using the Sport Shifting with some aggressive acceleration, then toning it down once i hit 65-75 MPH. I find that shifting from 1-2 burns alot of gas. This is much similar to the way I drive.

Cruise control. I was doing 32-33 MPG even with cruise control on hills.

Right now, I'm trying just the plain old Automatic Mode with no cruise control and driving like a grandma. Trying to maintain my RPM from 2-3k RPM. Coasting down hills with minimal throttle and coasting to the stoplight. Hitting highway ramps going 30-40 mph with no brakes. I'm at 35 MPG. Let's see if it goes up or goes down more.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
It was 12 am and the freeway was empty. There is no other drivers, so the most you can say is that I was harming myself. A new car is gonna be broken in anyways, I just wanted to find out if it's a lemon or not.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
being as your the type of person that drives 85mph and wonders why your 100ish hp car cant accelerate like rocket above 85mph, i am also goign to assume you are not driving conseravitvly when city driving....therefor your MPG blows.

this is a somwhat relevant video for you:
143 Top Gear - Toyota Prius BMW M3 Fuel - Car Videos on StreetFire
12 am, empty freeway, trying to get home fast. I do try to coast as much as possible when driving city. Probably because there is hills on the way on my commute.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
That video explains it well. You're driving too fast. Wait - stop - don't start typing "no i'm not i am very conservative", we've allll heard that a hundred times. I mean you can claim that if you want, it doesn't bother me if you do :P but that doesn't make it true.

When I was a new driver, I was constantly on the gas or the brake. So this isn't a personal criticism. But it is advice. Now I use both minimally. You grow up, you learn, you change. I suggest you get up the learning curve as quickly as you feel you can, as it will reduce the chances of taking an unintended detour into a guardrail (best case) or an occupied crosswalk (worst).
Thank you for the advice. I can see it from your perspective, I guess practice makes perfect. I will try to improve my driving style!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
im getting around that also. but im in nyc stop and go, barely any highway

Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Wait... do you mean a 2013 fit.. or 13" tires on a fit? Also.. your thing says Alhambra... which I'm thinking is an area in Spain.. is that miles or kilometers?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Don't worry your mpg will improve and I will not get on you for doing 85

just remember CHP patrols 24/7 and you are easy to spot all alone at that time of night doing 85.

I do mostly city driving and I average in the 25-30 range 2012 sport A/T
just over 16K

Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 PM
85mph is ????rpm. Not so bad for a short period of time. Car doesn't need full throttle to achieve this speed. We live in a area where at times theres only myself on the road and 85 seems like walking.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 AM
change your driving style. Honda also STATES in the paperwork, nothing over 5,000rpm and no heavy throttle action in the first 600 miles.

quit hurting your car. My fit never went under 30mpg on the highway unless I got over 75mph, and even then still managed like 28 or more. And with a manual with shorter gearing and only a few pounds less weight

Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
Wait... do you mean a 2013 fit.. or 13" tires on a fit? Also.. your thing says Alhambra... which I'm thinking is an area in Spain.. is that miles or kilometers?
2013 Fit with 15 inches stock wheels/tires. Also, Alhambra is a small town in Los Angeles country, not many people know about it. It's miles btw.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
The current Fit is actually 13 1/2' long.