General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New smaller Honda at Montreal Car Show. Honda GEAR Concept is a Tighter Fit

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
Honda GEAR Concept is a Tighter Fit

While the 2013 Detroit Auto Show is still going on, Honda sent this teaser of a new concept that will debut at the Montreal Auto Show in a few days.

This concept foreshadows a smaller than subcompact sized vehicle, with a Fit-like look. The Honda concept, which is inspired by fixed gear bicycles, promises to be fun-to-drive, customizable and connected. This, along with the Urban SUV Concept, is expected to hit the right spots with generation-Y, a target demographic which is proving to be a tough market to crack with automakers.
This micro-subcompact seems to be ready to do battle with the likes of the Chevrolet Spark, Fiat 500 and Scion iQ.
More information on the GEAR Concept will be released when it lands on January 17.

Last edited by cjecpa; 01-17-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Actual car:

MONTREAL, Jan. 17, 2013 /CNW/ - At today's Montreal International Auto Show, Honda Canada provided the world with its first look at the new GEAR Concept Study Model - a vehicle that demonstrates Honda's innovative approach to providing the automotive answer for young, urban, Gen-Y lifestyles.
Inspired by fixed-gear bicycles, GEAR is a concept that represents an entirely new way of looking at the sub-compact vehicle. It is simple and utilitarian, but also customizable, connected and full of personality.
"Subcompact cars are usually either utilitarian, but uninspiring or they're fun, zippy cars that are impractical and too expensive for the Gen-Y buyer," said Dave Marek, Design Director at Honda R&D Americas, Inc. "GEAR Concept tears down those walls - it's practical but fun, customizable, connected and affordable. Everything that young, discerning urban buyers would want in a car."

Last edited by cjecpa; 01-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member

Falling in the shadow of Detroit, the Montreal Auto Show isn’t one for world premieres, except this year where Honda has unveiled its new GEAR Concept, showcasing what may be the next generation of sub-compacts from the Japanese automaker.

With only two doors and looking like a modernized version of the 4th generation Civic hatch, the GEAR Concept looks to be a bit smaller than the Honda Fit, the brand’s current sub-compact offering. What isn’t clear is if this is if the GEAR is pointing towards a new car below the Fit, or the styling of the next-generation Fit.

Note rear disc.

Last edited by cjecpa; 01-17-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, that is one odd looking vehicle.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
I could see Honda trying to make the next Fit look similar to the 4th generation Civic and offering different models to get to the 200k sales goal.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
makes me think of a hammerhead shark for some reason...

Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
.. expected to hit the right spots with generation-Y, a target demographic which is proving to be a tough market to crack with automakers.
No way. Every time (EVERY time) the makers do a car which is "useful and affordable and fun" the people who buy it are middle-aged/old people without lots of money, who don't care what other people think. Young people want cars that impress their friends and that is not the cheapest thing in the lineup. They want a car which is powerful and expensive and sexy. They just don't have the money for it. They buy used Corollas if money is tight, rather than a pitiful Spark.
MAYBE Honda can pull it off.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
I think this car looks really neat. I hope it has nothing of the Toyota iQ which is the most retarded car design I've ever seen. Plus the iQ is only about 500$ cheaper than a Yaris! Imagine driving an iQ on a long road trip. Cheesh. It's too bad because I rather like toyota's engines and transmissions, they just kill it with the retarded design ideas like putting the gauge cluster in the centre and making a tachymeter with a needle that travels counter clockwise but I digress...

I'm glad the new honda car isn't too cool, because I'd be green with envy, and I just bought a GD :P It seems the best supercompact available now is the Fiat Abarth.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe trying to compete with the Chevy Spark and Scion IQ? Not looks wise, but in size.

Not bad from the side... odd looking from the front.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
I think this car looks really neat. I hope it has nothing of the Toyota iQ which is the most retarded car design I've ever seen. It seems the best supercompact available now is the Fiat Abarth.
The IQ is designed for urban parking (parallel parking without set bay lengths, which is the case in Europe/Japan/older US cities). If that isn't part of your life, you would not see any value in the design.

The Abarth is only "best" if you like having your car turn into an oversized paperweight on a regular basis. The reliability expectation is different for the average Honda/Toyota customer than a Fiat or VW :P

The best subcompact available now is the Honda Fit (and has been for the last 4 years). :P

I MIIIIGHT consider buying a sub-Fit car as a second car, if it were really fun. It would have to look cheerful like the concept above, have a slick 5MT with a tall highway gear, be basically comfortable inside, not too loud, and have a well-sorted suspension. I would fear a ride that would potentially be less settled than the Fit due to a shorter wheelbase. Something isn't quite right on the Fit tuning which is a surprise since Honda has made plenty of 2500-lb cars with a pleasant yet responsive ride quality.

But I don't think a sub-Fit would be quieter, faster, more-fuel-efficient or as comfortable as a Fit, so ... I think ultimately I would pass.

Last edited by fujisawa; 01-18-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Update version:

Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
I might have to start taking the car seriously. It's getting lots of press despite launching at the undercovered Montreal show. Honda may feel compelled to make it.

You can nix the nice paint, tinted windows and big wheels. So picture something that looks a bit like an iQ (appears a tiny big longer). But if they actually keep those wheels where they are .. out at the corners .. it has potential.

Don't they already make something like this? The Logo? Or something?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Probably smart on Honda's part by doing Montreal it is getting a lot of press. Where in Detroit it would just be another concept among one the largest years in concept cars.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Name:  Daffy.gif
Views: 35
Size:  53.2 KB

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
The IQ is designed for urban parking (parallel parking without set bay lengths, which is the case in Europe/Japan/older US cities). If that isn't part of your life, you would not see any value in the design.

The Abarth is only "best" if you like having your car turn into an oversized paperweight on a regular basis. The reliability expectation is different for the average Honda/Toyota customer than a Fiat or VW :P

The best subcompact available now is the Honda Fit (and has been for the last 4 years). :P

I MIIIIGHT consider buying a sub-Fit car as a second car, if it were really fun. It would have to look cheerful like the concept above, have a slick 5MT with a tall highway gear, be basically comfortable inside, not too loud, and have a well-sorted suspension. I would fear a ride that would potentially be less settled than the Fit due to a shorter wheelbase. Something isn't quite right on the Fit tuning which is a surprise since Honda has made plenty of 2500-lb cars with a pleasant yet responsive ride quality.

But I don't think a sub-Fit would be quieter, faster, more-fuel-efficient or as comfortable as a Fit, so ... I think ultimately I would pass.
Hey, you you don't have to sell me the benefits of a fit, that's why I own one! If you look up the scion iQ you find many hits about a rear seat delete because there's a rear seat in there that no human could possibly fit in (unless you can forgo a driver ). I think Smart did it best; a little two seater with a trunk you can actually use rather than a useless backseat.

Plus the parking argument is moot because transversal parking is not legal in North America and the Yaris is inches longer. Hey if some yuppy market actually goes for the iQ then more power to ya but here in Montreal, the only ones I've seen are parked in the lot of the Toyota dealer.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
1/2010 "Brio" New Dehli Expo

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 01-18-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Hey, you you don't have to sell me the benefits of a fit, that's why I own one! If you look up the scion iQ you find many hits about a rear seat delete because there's a rear seat in there that no human could possibly fit in (unless you can forgo a driver ). I think Smart did it best; a little two seater with a trunk you can actually use rather than a useless backseat.

Plus the parking argument is moot because transversal parking is not legal in North America and the Yaris is inches longer. Hey if some yuppy market actually goes for the iQ then more power to ya but here in Montreal, the only ones I've seen are parked in the lot of the Toyota dealer.
Transverse is not what I was referring to - i was talking about parallel parking without lines denoting "bays". Ie, in really crowded parts of older cities, like Boston's North End where I lived, there are no lines because if there were, there would be wasted space, and there's just not enough parking to waste that much space. So you put the car wherever you can fit. Without lines, there are spaces the size of a Fiat 500 that a CRV cannot get into; so the CRV passes but the Fiat gets it. And others just big enough for an iQ, but not a 500. I can't remember but I imagine Montreal is similar?

Of course because most cars tend to be medium-sized, iQ-sized-half-spaces stay open a lot longer than CRV-sized spaces. The longest I circled for parking in my del Sol was 45 minutes (it's not actually that short; a foot longer than a Miata); and for the two-feet-longer CRV, 1.5 hours. [Editor's note: that sucked] So you can see a 500 or iQ would have advantages, and it's a special advantage if you have SHORTEST car because there are no shorter cars to pip your space.

But one thing you say, very true -- yuppies are the only people who will buy the iQ or 500!! Only young single people will think that a car with no back seats, that's not that cheap, is a good buy for the long run. I am sure I would leave the iQ seats down as the default mode. But I can tell you, if the CR-Z offered some useless back seats, it would find many more buyers, because people like the idea of having the option. Also, finally - the really bad part about the Scion is, no MT option. And the CVT is supposedly terrible. Forget it! But again, yuppies can't really drive, so that would be fine for them. I'm talking about a group that I only recently passed out of, so I think I can generalize.

If Honda makes this Gear car without an MT I'll be pissed.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
I guess we must all face the fact that Oil = Gasoline is going to become less available in the future.

Smaller cars use less fuel so ................................. here is our future car.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I went through the '73 oil crisis and it was dramatic. No gas stations open at night. Odd -Even license plate days to refuel. Lines to refill beginning at 4:00 am and going as far as you could see. Armed station attendants to maintain order. It wasn't pretty.

I distinctly remember trying to get gas for my '73 Chevy Monte Carlo one night and returning home on empty. The next day I traded that car for a '73 VW Super Beetle and considered myself lucky to get it.

We've already reached peak oil so gas will be less plentiful. Smaller more fuel efficient vehicles will be a necessity. I'll be happy if we can keep a fleet of Fit type cars running.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Transverse is not what I was referring to - i was talking about parallel parking without lines denoting "bays". Ie, in really crowded parts of older cities, like Boston's North End where I lived, there are no lines because if there were, there would be wasted space, and there's just not enough parking to waste that much space. So you put the car wherever you can fit. Without lines, there are spaces the size of a Fiat 500 that a CRV cannot get into; so the CRV passes but the Fiat gets it. And others just big enough for an iQ, but not a 500. I can't remember but I imagine Montreal is similar?

Of course because most cars tend to be medium-sized, iQ-sized-half-spaces stay open a lot longer than CRV-sized spaces. The longest I circled for parking in my del Sol was 45 minutes (it's not actually that short; a foot longer than a Miata); and for the two-feet-longer CRV, 1.5 hours. [Editor's note: that sucked] So you can see a 500 or iQ would have advantages, and it's a special advantage if you have SHORTEST car because there are no shorter cars to pip your space.

But one thing you say, very true -- yuppies are the only people who will buy the iQ or 500!! Only young single people will think that a car with no back seats, that's not that cheap, is a good buy for the long run. I am sure I would leave the iQ seats down as the default mode. But I can tell you, if the CR-Z offered some useless back seats, it would find many more buyers, because people like the idea of having the option. Also, finally - the really bad part about the Scion is, no MT option. And the CVT is supposedly terrible. Forget it! But again, yuppies can't really drive, so that would be fine for them. I'm talking about a group that I only recently passed out of, so I think I can generalize.

If Honda makes this Gear car without an MT I'll be pissed.
Montreal can be similar to Boston. In my area, I've at times had to park 4-5 blocks away from my place. It's no biggie really but during the 10 min walk home, you really think of moving to the burbs or even the woods! That's a small part of the reason I bought a Fit but lemme tell you that if I had the money I woulda bought a 2012 impreza wagon at the tip of a hat. I guess to each their different priority. The thing the gets me are the people that decided which car to get depending on if its got an dock for their iPhone 5 built in . To each their own.

The scion xD is offered in a manual tranny and it is GREAT. Even better than the Chinese Fit, IMO. Don't like the interior much though and there are a couple of retarded Toyota touches like the stupid Tachymeter that is tiny and that goes from right to left. It's about 130 hp so it's got some go except it has a limp throttle. I prefer a sportier drive myself but aside from the matrix, the scion xD is an interesting offering.