General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Ramp suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Ramp suggestions

I enjoy doing most of my own maintenance even though it may be a pain in the ass or maybe even cost me more than taking it in for service (EG: oil changes). Can someone recommend a name brand/type/where to purchase set of ramps that will fit under my '09 Sport?

I just don't want to randomly buy ramps only to be taking them back because they won't "fit".

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM
I have "Scepter ProRamps" that I got at Tractor Supply, and they work nicely with the base Fit. I think they should also be fine for the sport, as I don't think the front bumper actually hangs down substantially more (it's just shaped a bit differently to appear to do so). There isn't a lot of extra clearance, though, so they probably wouldn't work with a lowered car.

I suspect there may be other ramps available that work just as well and are less overkill for a car the size of the Fit (and presumably be less expensive). These were just what was available locally that looked promising when I needed to get some ramps. That said, they do work well, don't weigh a ton, and are wide enough that they don't need to be positioned with micrometer precision before driving up them.

Scepter Pro Ramp, 1 Pair - Tractor Supply Online Store

Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM
You could always make some using nails and 2x10.

Just get them cut prior to leaving Home Depot or Lowe's and nail them together in steps and then you can adjust the height later.

DIY - Homemade Wooden Ramps For Your Car - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Just like that

Last edited by Katsumoto; 07-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I enjoy doing most of my own maintenance even though it may be a pain in the ass or maybe even cost me more than taking it in for service (EG: oil changes). Can someone recommend a name brand/type/where to purchase set of ramps that will fit under my '09 Sport?

I just don't want to randomly buy ramps only to be taking them back because they won't "fit".

Thanks!
I have a set of ramps that I bought for about 50$ in Canada and worth their weight in gold! I have a GD sport and the front valence would most certainly touch the ramps so this is what I do:

-I jam about a foot long 2X4 under each wheel and then align the ramps with the 2X4s.
-I drive up onto the 2X4 and sometimes put my parking brake on and run out to check if the ramps and still perfectly aligned (this really isn't necessary) and then just drive up and voilà!

I strongly suggest this method. You could probably go to a home depot style store and get scrap pieces of 2X4 for free or a few cents. The reason I like this method so much is that the angle of my ramps is relatively steep which means I get a nice amount of clearance under the car so doing an oil change is child's play. If my ramps were lower profile, I wouldn't enjoy them as much. However, if I had to buy a jack again, I would mos def go for a low profile jack that could lift a decent height (say about 20 inches).

P.S. Doing your own oil changes is definitely worth it. Quality crush washers, oil filters and synthetic oil are relatively cheap and changing it yourself with ramps is sooo easy. Why take an appointment and wait at a store and be uncertain of the quality of the work and the oil used? Do it in he comfort of your home on YOUR schedule. I got an oil change kit for 10 $ that contains a big plastic oil pan, some funnels, nitrile gloves, a high absorbent mat that I place under my oil pan to catch slight spills and some shop towels and that's really all you need. I also bought a 1 litre measuring cup from the dollar store to take the guesswork out of it (I don't use it in my kitchen though lol). I also use oil lift, a biodegradable non-toxic product that cleans oil spills/stains. Really, it's very easy to do an oil change without spilling ANY oil. Just be careful. Also, you can use a ziplock sandwich bag for your old oil filter when disposing it.

Last edited by MTLian; 07-28-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Rhino ramps work well. They're plastic and it may seem scary to hold the weight of half a car on them and then get under the car, but if they were collapsing we'd have heard about it by now. I think they were around $50 a pair.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
damn almost 3000 bucks for that ramp lego set

Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
I use raceramps. They work well and are fairly light weight. The ones I bought advertised they work well for cars with low ground clearance like corvettes. They also sell attachments to make the ramps longer so if you do have a car that is low, like mine you can still easily use the ramps

Old 07-29-2013, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
I have two sets of Rhino ramps around. They are about 4 inches too short in length for my Fit Sport. I simply put a 2x4 by 1 foot cutoff in front of them so you drive on the 2x4 first and them on the ramp. They work great.

Hopkins Mfg Corp Hopkins Mfg Corp : 12000Lb Rhino Ramps - Automotive - Racks & Carriers - Cargo Carrier

Welcome to RhinoRamps®

Blitz/2 pcs. Rhino Ramps 12000 lbs. plastic service ramp (11909) | Ramp | AutoZone.com

Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
I use raceramps. They work well and are fairly light weight. The ones I bought advertised they work well for cars with low ground clearance like corvettes. They also sell attachments to make the ramps longer so if you do have a car that is low, like mine you can still easily use the ramps
Would you need any attachments for it to work on a stock Sport?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Since I have Eibach springs and a STI lip I cannot use my Rhino Ramps. But the Rhino ramps I have been using for years. However my wife now gets free maintenance and the dealer usually runs specials on oil changes so I no longer do the oil changes on either car.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
My friend just stacked up a bunch of 6" width pieces of wood into an incline like a pyramid, and glued it all together.

He's going to be helping me do the oil change next time. I'm still at 70%.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
I have to drive my Miata onto 2x4s to get a jack under the car.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
4" is narrow...

Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
+1 for raceramps. I use the 56" (8" lift) 2pc. version.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM
I checked pricing on those race ramps and they are expensive!!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TW Calvin
I checked pricing on those race ramps and they are expensive!!
But you only have to buy them once and you can customize them. Also they are the only ramps that work on lowered cars.

If you like Cheap:
RhinoRamps | Product Info

$188 for Race Ramp: http://cygnusperformance.com/cart.ph...ategory_id=633

$50 for Rhino Ramps http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9867916/00238/

Last edited by De36; 07-29-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by De36
But you only have to buy them once and you can customize them. Also they are the only ramps that work on lowered cars.

If you like Cheap:
RhinoRamps | Product Info

$188 for Race Ramp: Cygnus Performance | Late Model Import Parts STi, WRX, BRZ - FREE SHIPPING Race Ramps 56 inch Part# RR-56

$50 for Rhino Ramps RhinoGear 12,000 Pound Automotive Ramp | Product Details | Pep Boys
Thanks for the suggestions!

I was looking at amazon.com for the RaceRamps and the cheapest was $197 on Prime. that's just too much for me to pay just to do basic oil changes and maintenance. for near $200, I can have the dealer do it 5-6 times.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I have Rhino Ramps. I'm puzzled by the people who claim the Fit Sport scrapes on them, because mine doesn't (obviously one has to drive up slowly!)

I am not scared by them being plastic because they are rated at something like 4000lbs which is way, waaaayyy more than the Fit.

Quick Reply: Ramp suggestions