General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas door with lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Gas door with lock

I dunno, I guess I have bad luck or someone hates me at my apartment. Well people always park in my spot anyways. Well the reason here is someone syohoned almost half a tank out of my Fit from my apartment building. I just checked my gas door and noticed there is no flap so it is extremely easy to stuff a tube down there.

So my question is, is it possible to instal a gas door that locks and needs a lever to be released? Like all other Hondas basically? Is there a JDM part for this on the Japanese Fit or am I goin to need to just swap one from like a civic si or ep3?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
I dunno, I guess I have bad luck or someone hates me at my apartment. Well people always park in my spot anyways. Well the reason here is someone syohoned almost half a tank out of my Fit from my apartment building. I just checked my gas door and noticed there is no flap so it is extremely easy to stuff a tube down there.

So my question is, is it possible to instal a gas door that locks and needs a lever to be released? Like all other Hondas basically? Is there a JDM part for this on the Japanese Fit or am I goin to need to just swap one from like a civic si or ep3?
No such thing. Buy a locking gas cap. Long threads for this on the forums, cheap on eBaymotors.com. Also at your local parts store made by Stant.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Administrator
The nerve of some people!

I thought about this happening since it is not a locking door on our Fits.

You can just get a locking gas cap and your problem will be solved

Stant 10504 Locking Fuel Cap:Amazon:Automotive

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Wow... Okay thanks for the replies guys. That is a cheap part for sure. I just don't believe it has actually come down to that. If it was a locking gas door that would be alright, not with a visible key hole or anything, but just stock. Using a key every time to unlock my gas cap is going to drive me nuts. But it is the solution to people stealing my gas which I never thought would have occurred.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Banned
Even with a locking gas door like you want, all it takes is a screwdriver or knife to pry the door open for your gas to be stolen. A locking gas cap is even more secure than the locking door.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
Wow... Okay thanks for the replies guys. That is a cheap part for sure. I just don't believe it has actually come down to that. If it was a locking gas door that would be alright, not with a visible key hole or anything, but just stock. Using a key every time to unlock my gas cap is going to drive me nuts. But it is the solution to people stealing my gas which I never thought would have occurred.
At a $1.32/l I am now carrying a siphon when I want a fill up. Hmmm which neighbour do I select this morning?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
At a $1.32/l I am now carrying a siphon when I want a fill up. Hmmm which neighbour do I select this morning?
$1.32 is right my Canadian brother.

Some cars have that little flap that prevents you from sticking a hose down into the gas tank don't they? Or am I just crazy. Having said that, if there is such thing, why don't all cars have it. I don't think that would be a luxury upgrade haha.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Someone else said a Honda Pilot gas cap will work with the ignition key.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM
$1.32 is right my Canadian brother.

Some cars have that little flap that prevents you from sticking a hose down into the gas tank don't they? Or am I just crazy. Having said that, if there is such thing, why don't all cars have it. I don't think that would be a luxury upgrade haha.
If you mean the little flap that's visible at the opening of the filler, it doesn't prevent a tube (or the gas pump nozzle) from entering; it swings out of the way, not into the way. I believe they're there instead to prevent gas from sloshing out or to control the escape of fumes or something like that

Some cars might have a screen or similar perforated obstruction in the filler line to foil siphons; at the least, those have been DIY / aftermarket modifications in times past.

Installing a latching gas cap door would take a bit of work. There's usually a pull cable that goes from the latch mechanism to the release lever. You'd have to get into the guts of the car to install the latch and route the cable, not to mention finding parts that are the same size and shape as the stock door. I don't think too many other vehicles have a round gas cap door with a slight crease at the bottom edge.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
Someone else said a Honda Pilot gas cap will work with the ignition key.
How is that possible? Wouldn't I have to get the lock cut to the shape of my key? Cause if not, what's stopping others from using there Fit or pilot keys from getting into my gas cap? Shouldn't they all be different to protect this. Kinda same idea how all keys aren't cut the same way cause then I coul use my fit key to steal another fit.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Or a locking gas cap from a Honda Element will work as well.

Honda Locking Gas Filler Cap (Element, Fit) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sucks that you have to use those caps.

watch out in the winter time cause ive had instances where i needed to use de-icer to unlock the cap. i stopped using it because it was just too much of a pita in the winter.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Gino,

have a look at this thread ...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...g-gas-cap.html

Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
How is that possible? Wouldn't I have to get the lock cut to the shape of my key? Cause if not, what's stopping others from using there Fit or pilot keys from getting into my gas cap? Shouldn't they all be different to protect this. Kinda same idea how all keys aren't cut the same way cause then I coul use my fit key to steal another fit.
Car keys are all different. The chip is what starts the car.

Look at your key and valet key. It's for the same car but both do different things.

The first few cuts are used for the doors, the last few for the ignition.

There's an article somewhere on the net that explains what I said alot better. I tried. I'm sick in bed at home.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE= I'm sick in bed at home.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you are being taken care of by whomever you have pictured below

Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
If someone puts sugar, sand etc. into your gas tank what would happen to your fuel tank? what would you notice first with your engine?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member

as others say, you want a locking gas tank cap and some are available aftermarket.
be aware tho that a determined thief will penetrate your gas line at the tank and siphon off gas.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by phenoyz
If someone puts sugar, sand etc. into your gas tank what would happen to your fuel tank? what would you notice first with your engine?
Your fuel tank gets sediment. Your fuel filter gets clogged. Your engine stalls due to lack of fuel. (If the material is fine enough to get past the filter, it could cause wear/clogging of the injectors and thus poor operation, but with decent fuel filters that should be pretty unlikely.)

It's really rather anticlimactic compared to what might be commonly believed.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
Your fuel tank gets sediment. Your fuel filter gets clogged. Your engine stalls due to lack of fuel. (If the material is fine enough to get past the filter, it could cause wear/clogging of the injectors and thus poor operation, but with decent fuel filters that should be pretty unlikely.)

It's really rather anticlimactic compared to what might be commonly believed.
the problem with sugar is its gooey and clogs the filter, injectors and even gas lines. not easy to clean out either.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
the problem with sugar is its gooey and clogs the filter, injectors and even gas lines. not easy to clean out either.
Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline to any great extent. It's also hardly soluble in ethanol. Realistically, I'm pretty sure that the only way it would get gooey is if there's water in your gas, and you already have problems if that's true to any appreciable extent. As an experiment, it might be interesting to put a little gasoline in a glass bottle or something and add some sugar and see what happens to it—you should see the grains stay as grains, and basically nothing else.

Mind you, I do not suggest putting sugar in a gas tank, as an experiment or otherwise.

Quick Reply: Gas door with lock