General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What accessories NOT to get

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 PM
What accessories NOT to get

I'm considering purchasing a Fit. While I've seen several discussions about what accessories to buy I was wondering what accessories/options you got but, in retrospect, you wouldn't get again. For example, when I bought my 1998 CRV I paid extra to add a cassette tape player (remember those?). I've barely used it over the years. Have you bought accessories/options that you wouldn't get again?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Do get: the weather mats, interior ambient lights, cargo cover, anything Mugen, body side molding, OEM or Mugen window vents, carbon trim, center armrest.

Don't get: anything on the paint including pinstripes, door strips, fender guards, rear bumper applique, etc., the navi system (can diy cheaper), or an extended warranty (these things run w/o much maintenance).

Last edited by lowkeymods; 09-18-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 AM
a few have complained that the armrest from Honda is a little on the low side. I was wondering if anyone has taken one apart and made the cushion taller?

just wondering

Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I think a good rule is- don't get anything extra the dealer tries to sell you.

I did get the cargo cover (later, elsewhere) and I cut a piece of carpeting for the hatch- if it gets dirty I can just throw it out and cut another piece...

Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Do get good floor mats and cargo mat - like weather tech. (muddy hiking boots, salted black city snow, dirty bike, - 'nuff said) but I got good deal with something similar at amazon that I was comparatively happy with.

I would get seat covers of some kind - not to custom the look of the car, but If you ever intend to sell it then you better hope Nobody Ever Spills Anything (and by the way that means I can't be in your car LOL) or get the seat covers. Unless you live someplace where there is no weather and no liquids. And actually some stuff from home depot and lowes is pretty dirty.

I am not a big fan of the in-dash nav. I travel a lot (europe and SA mostly) and I can get a map and take my GPS with me. Or take it in a friends car. Or update it. Or get live traffic etc etc. So I didn't get the honda nav and I don't miss it - HOWEVER - on my model (2009 sport) it means I also don't have the audio controls on the steering wheel. Don't really miss that very much either but it would be nice.

Got the cargo cover - don't use it, got rid of it.

Get sunshades

Otherwise, I like her just as she comes. But I am not a big DIYer. Love the fit. Do test it first - not just a 5 min test drive. My mechanic said the best way is to rent the car your are interested in and drive it a while. couldn't do that with the fit because there is nothing else like it, but it is a lot of money to find out the seats are too low or too high etc.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, cargo cover is one thing i bought early on for my 09, but sold it months after.
much better just to get a dark tint.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Honda dealers today tend to let you agree on the price, then bring out a menu of dealer accessories.

Things you'd consider standard are add-ons: floor mats, cargo cover, cargo tray, center console armrest, etc. research carefully what you want, and add this to the negotiations before agreeing on the price (you can always go back, but by that time you're worn out). If the price of add-ons is more than you can buy online (most don't require the dealer to install). Just buy later. Here's a good site to start shopping.

Most everything else is included. consider carefully whether you want the sport or base; that's a decision you can't reverse later.

One thing I wish I'd gotten are the body side moldings to protect against dings. I might still get them, but have a couple creases on the doors that they won't cover now (have to get paintless dent repair). Would have been cheaper to start out with them...

Old 09-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the suggestions!

M

Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
The factory optional non-all weather mats are junk.