General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Door locks and ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Door locks and ignition

Hello,
My first time posting, I have a 2009 Fit. I've replaced the driver's side door lock once already, and it is already acting difficult again: basically I put the key in and can't get it to turn. I've also had to replace the ignition assembly. (Honda picked up the tab for the part even though it was just out of warranty; I had to pay labor).

I've owned two Civics in the past and never had this problem. Am I just having bad luck or does Honda not make them like they used to?

fpgill

Old 10-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Are you pulling the door open with your key? Some people use it like a handle and it breaks things.

If it keeps happening it might be worth spending $40 or whatever to get a blank key with the remote control doorlock and stop using the key (I assume you have a Base Fit as the Sport comes with remote on the key). You would just use the remote part for the lock and use your regular key for the ignition.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by fpgill
Hello,
My first time posting, I have a 2009 Fit. I've replaced the driver's side door lock once already, and it is already acting difficult again: basically I put the key in and can't get it to turn. I've also had to replace the ignition assembly. (Honda picked up the tab for the part even though it was just out of warranty; I had to pay labor).

I've owned two Civics in the past and never had this problem. Am I just having bad luck or does Honda not make them like they used to?

fpgill
I bought my 2009 fit 'sport' new never had an issue like yours. Just a thought...if you own the base model what about upgrading to the remote key (standard with the sport model). One draw back (my opinion...and this could be a safety issue) When exiting driver side you can't unlock the other doors manually w/o pressing the unlock button on the driver armrest first---so if your in a hurry and go to pull up on the handles your hand will slip with force (door stays secured) and when the handle retracts it makes a loud bang! Your left with OMG I just broke the handle---I still do it to this day...! Remarkably the handles both passengers and rear haven't snapped. To get around this problem I press the key remote and this opens the remaining three doors. Well hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by pollywalnuts; 10-30-2013 at 08:10 AM.