General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I change transmission fluid now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Should I change transmission fluid now?

Searched first but didn't get a lot of info. 2007 Honda Fit (2nd owner) @ 94k miles. Transmission runs great. I have a very trustworthy individual mechanic but he is telling me to NOT change transmission fluid in car. Not sure if 1st owner ever did? Honda dealership saying it needs to be done but I don't trust dealership mechanics most of the time. My gut tells me to change it though. I plan on keeping this car for a long time...love it!

Your opinions.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
I would change it a few times over a period of a few months and then install a transmission cooler.. A broken automatic transmission could mess up your budget for a long time and still give you problems after being fixed.. I've kept dried beans and rice stored away and a bicycle handy for that kind of costly situation...

Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
I bought my '07 sport from a guy who did no maintenance except oil changes. Got the car at 94,000 miles. I had all the fluids replaced after I drove it home. Like me, since you don't know if it was ever done, assume not and get it done asap. At such a high mileage and the fact that you don't know if the fluid was every replaced, DONT flush the transmission, but rather have your mechanic drain and refill.
I can't believe these foolish people selling their Fit with such low mileage. I scored big time; I hope you did too.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 AM
I would definately change the fluid and the filter.

Check the link below and look at number 5. You or your mechanic will have to remove the air box to get to it. The bracket will only allow it to be installed in the correct direction too.

Honda Automotive Parts

Honda and Acura have had some problems over the years, overheating and burning up transmission fluid which eventually leads to transmssion failure.

There was no serviceable filter either. The filter was more like a screen inside the transmission that needed the trans removed, disassembled, new filter or clean the old one, reassemble and reinstall. Who's gonna do that? Nobody!

If the transmissions without the external filters had the fluid changed every 30k then they hardly ever had a problem because the fluid stayed cleaner and and the drained fluid would also drain out some of the dirt that was suspensed in the fluid.

Glad to see they put one on the outside of the Fit. Change the fluid and filter and keep driving it. I suggest using OEM for both. The fluid will cost more from Honda and the filter isnt that expensive.

We have used all combinations of fluids at the shop over the years. Sometimes we used Dexron ATF with Lubeguard Friction Modifier to "bring it up to Honda or other manufacturers specs". It worked and the transmssions shifted. But sometimes we noticed shifts flares because the friction modifiers either make the fluid "too slippery" or "not slippery enough" and the clutch packs dont work the way they should if the fluid slipperiness isnt a match to what it was designed for.

Now, will most customers notice the difference? Probably not but they do notice the price difference and many times will go to a quick lube place to do the lower priced flush if we quoted them only with OEM fluid. So, we stocked both fluids and gave a choice, explained the differences and wrote the invoice as "declined OEM fluid" and "shift quality may change".

For all of my own vehciles I only use OEM fluid. But remember, I have been a professional in the business for over 25 years and pretty in tune with how the trans shifts. I would not want to drive around and feel mushy or too firm of a shift caused by universal ATF.

You can also search the forum here for ATF filter. I saw a write up here with pics of the trans filter. It was a good write up where the poster cut the filter open and showed some dirt inside the filter. I think it was cut open after the flush so it might not show as much dirt.

Good Luck!

Last edited by 2010FitSport; 10-26-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Your mechanic is not a Honda Tech.

change the fluid. I personally recommend 20-40k change intervals based on how they drive and what kind of vehicle they drive

You should get that changed ASAP after a few thousand miles if you believe you were the first to change the transmission fluid.

You only end up changing something like 70% of the fluid in those automatics. The rest stays in the torque converter

Id change it the next 2 times you drive 2000-3000 miles, to guarantee you get most or all the old fluid out!!