General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda specific fluids; check frequency for manual transmission fluid

Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Honda specific fluids; check frequency for manual transmission fluid

I recently bought a 2013 Fit LX (yes at the end of 2013, I wasn't paying attention and didn't have time to worry about that anyway). I tried my hand at the usual maintenance routine that I had with my old car. I couldn't help but notice that the entire manual says to use Honda specific fluids. I'm not thrilled at being constrained in such an unexpected manner and I think it does nothing to encourage more owners to be more disciplined about routine maintenance. It will certainly be a time imposition, if not a cost imposition.

How bad is it to use generic fluids (engine oil, coolant, washer fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, manual transmission fluid, and what I haven't found yet, power steering fluid)? I believe the manual says something about aluminium engine as well, so I guess this applies to all Fit models?

Also, in my 97 Tercel, I believe there was a tiny reservoir for power steering fluid. If I recall correctly. I couldn't find such a beast for the Fit, and it isn't mentioned in the manual. Can I safely dismiss that from my brain forever?

Finally, the diagram of reservoirs under the hood doesn't show where the manual transmission fluid is, though there a section describing it. Where is it in the engine compartment, and how often should I check it? Or rather, how often should I have it checked? I don't think I'll check it myself since it requires loosening a nut rather than unscrewing a cap (I live in a highrise with underground parking).

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
Just about every manufacturer recommends using their own brand of fluids and replacement parts, so nothing new there. You can use any aftermarket fluid as long as it meets the requirements stated in the manual.

Virtually all modern engines are made from aluminum alloys.

The Fit has electric power steering, no power steering fluid necessary.

The manual transmission fluid is in...the transmission. There is no reservoir, and is checked by opening the fill hole and making sure the fluid level is up to the fill hole. Replacement intervals is based on the maintenance minder (sub item 3).

Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Go with whatever brands of filter's and oil's you like! I know when my first oil change comes do I will be using Amsoil Signatures Series 0w20 and an Amsoil oil filter on mine. I won't even hesitate to use it. My Fit is also brand new too and still don't even have 3000 miles on it yet! LOL

Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Brake fluid, coolant, and automatic transmission fluid (MT oil too?) are the only ones Honda nags to use their own products.

Brake fluid is once every 3 years. (dunno about clutch, life of car?)

Coolant is over 100K miles between flushes.

ATF drain/fill intervals vary according to the user, with Honda's recommendation being somewhere around 100K for the first drain/fill. The automatic transmissions are sensitive to a change between Honda's older spec Z1 fluid and the newer DW-1 (newer is better) so I'd be reluctant to go off brand. Manual may be similar.

Honda's engine air filter (30k mile interval) is about $20. Fram aftermarket is about $14. I don't think it makes any difference. Same for the cabin air filter (yearly for me). Honda's is about $25, TYC aftermarket about $15 (but it requires some cuts to fit). Honda's oil filter and crush washer is about $9. I order these online and have reverted back to Honda's branded products. The price difference isn't enough to worry about.

Engine oil is whatever meets specs. Even that typically goes 10K between changes depending on your driving pattern.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-20-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Be a little selective on transmission fluid, Honda M/T's don't like everything. If you're just daily driving the car stick with Honda's MTF, it's not that expensive and you can order it online or just pick up quarts at the dealership. Same with coolant but you shouldn't have to worry about that for a long time. I only say that because the coolant change intervals are long so I wouldn't use a random cheapo coolant from Autozone.

Not sure why Honda has such explicit warnings about using Honda brake fluid. I know lots of people use other brands with no ill effects.

No power steering fluid as has been said. You have to pull the fill plug on the transmission to check the M/T level. You shouldn't have to worry about it though unless there's a leak. Just change it when the MM tells you to.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i use mobil1 motoroil green cap on my '12, factory oil filters. i use factory coolant as well, but for others i usually just buy aftermarket.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Wow. That's a lot of info. Thanks, all. With such an intricate schedule of different checks/changes at different mileages, I'm feeling that I should bring it into Honda rather than go with my trusted mechanic over a decade. It's not my first choice...though he *does* focus on Japanese cars. I should check with him to see if he goes by the schedule. P.S. I'll probably adopt the habit of using synthetic engine oil cuz from what I've googled, it doesn't take as warm to become fluid in the bitter cold.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
The dealer will oversell service. You'll spend unnecessary hundreds if you follow their advice. That's not to say don't have work done there, but you need to control what's done to your car: not the Honda service salesman, and really not your trusted mechanic (he's got a lot of customers to worry about).

Read the owner's manual. The Maintenance Minder electronic display takes most of the guesswork out, but there is still room for more or less maintenance. Understanding the services performed is necessary.

A good idea is to keep all your receipts and perhaps a separate log (electronic document is great) you can refer to. This will also help with resale value when you go to sell the car.

If you have your mechanic do all the work that's fine, but it's even more important to have receipts in case of any warranty work that has to be done by Honda.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-21-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Got it. Thanks. Looks like I'll be getting more familiar with the schedules in the manual.