General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is the M/T officially dead???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting efficiency discussion, but all good using an MT.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Agreed with Fit Charlie. I'm addicted to hypermileing although I do treat myself to 5500rpm once in a while and have great respect for that feeling when I do.

A very strange feeling is getting into an automatic car and pressing a non existent clutch pedal. I'm surprised by myself and then the realization is disappointing

Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Zen drive

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Sad, I am that, after wanting to drop $20k, I cannot even find a MY2016 Fit 6MT to try at any local dealer. Nor a MY2015 6MT the last many months.

For the last year we have been renting cars on the weekends. Getting a new car each weekend has been eye opening. All of them have been autos, and they have almost all been really bad, with the exception of the Mazda3.

I guess I'll just have to take a leap of faith and order a 6MT. As a motorcycle rider there is no way I would get an auto. Driving manual is a lot of fun. My kids are growing and will want to learn to drive very soon. I cannot, with good conscience, teach them to drive in an auto. Once they learn manual and have their own cash they can buy whatever they want, but from me I want them to really learn to drive and the precedent is stick. That means no texting, talking on the phone or other distractions. These distractions, despite being illegal, are too easily done in an auto, and much harder to do in a manual. This distracted driving deterrent is a big selling feature for me.

I am somewhat envious of the Europeans and Asians that have better access to MTs. Are North Americans are so lazy or do they not appreciate the ability to shift gears.
I have two motorcycles and I like the whole controlling the revs, shifting gears
In a car like the Fit. Small cars with manuals are fun.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tennmoto1
I have two motorcycles and I like the whole controlling the revs, shifting gears
In a car like the Fit. Small cars with manuals are fun.
Fast forward to today, I bought my Fit 1.5 years ago and am happy I bought a 6MT. The CVT would have bored me to tears, while the 6MT is a lot of fun.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i have DSG on my GTI and even dat is boring to me. its fine for the commute especially when im tired, but id NEVER take it out for weekend fun.

i always take out my hobby cars which are both MT.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:29 PM
That's the ONLY way I'd have a Fit!...

The 2 squirrels under the hood are already working hard enough! WHY dog 'em down with an AT? (and yes, I WISH my 2013 had the 6th gear!).

Old 05-15-2017, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
The long term reliability of a manual transmission is unbeatable. My last car (94 Civic) went up to 300 000 miles with minor transmission maintenance. I really doubt I would have done this with an auto transmission.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, i have DSG on my GTI and even dat is boring to me. its fine for the commute especially when im tired, but id NEVER take it out for weekend fun.

i always take out my hobby cars which are both MT.
The DSG is the pinnacle of ATs and I have to agree, I find myself craving to drive my wife's manual Fit if I stay away from it too long.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
yep, AT is just boring unless ure on a track racing against time or position..

Old 05-24-2017, 11:50 AM
No it ain't dead! Just like this thread.

I sold a paddle fit for a row fit. The grief in traffic is outweighed by the freedom and enjoyment, mpg, and longevity.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM
I like the M/T, they get better mpg ( in older cars for sure ) but the newer A/T are just about if not better than the M/T's now.
Its sad that no new truck as well as the past few years have a manual trans option unless it is the bigger brutes like 3500/4500...ect...
But the normal 1/2 ton thru 2-1/2 tons they don't even have a choice other than an automatic now, cant find one nor order it with a manual anymore....sadly. But the newer generation is lazy, cost is cheaper for the factories and the list goes on.

Now on the other hand, automatics are nice if you have kids or have to fidget around when driving, things you cant do with a manual...there are pros and cons for each, BUT the M/T's are a dying breed now.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yep, AT is just boring unless ure on a track racing against time or position..
I still don't find my CVT boring. This after owning it for about 2yrs now. Haven't raced it in a year but enjoyed racing it too.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnalogDog
The 2 squirrels under the hood are already working hard enough! WHY dog 'em down with an AT? (and yes, I WISH my 2013 had the 6th gear!).
We wish our GKs had a "6th gear" as well ....yeah, technically it has a 6th, but it's the same as the older models' 5th gear ratio ... what were they thinking??? If they'd geared it appropriately, mpg would be even better, not that I'm complaining about it, as it suits me just fine, but...the mpg that could've been - I'd have no problem downshifting to go up a long-stretch hill ...that's the whole idea of a manual, ya DIY

Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Its time to pull out the manual transmission (MT) GE vs GK gear ratio chart. The GK not all that different from the GE, just a smoother curve at the higher gears. If not for higher noise levels at freeway cruise speed of the MT vs the CVT, I don't think the whole 5th 6th shifting aspect would have bothered me in the GK MT since you can choose to skip 5th as needed. I do it all the time in my ST.

Name:  OPCc9Ql.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  39.7 KB

Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM
Manual is not dead yet. We can say the manual is dead when we debate whether gasoline-powered cars are dead as electrical cars become more mainstream, That's maybe in 15 or 20 years? Till then, I think some companies will stil produce manuals in niche and low market vehicles.

If I'm lucky, I will always have at least one manual in my garage. There is absolutely no substitute for manuals when it comes to driver engagment. Yea, these days, you sacrifice convenience, performance and economy for that driver engagement but some of us will be happy to make that trade off because the feeling is so sublime. Which why I sometimes enjoy driving my wife's manual Fit more than my AT cars.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I still don't find my CVT boring. This after owning it for about 2yrs now. Haven't raced it in a year but enjoyed racing it too.
that's good, im happy for you in a non-smartarse way.

today i borrowed my wife's GK (cvt) pretty much all day to run multiple errands and i wouldnt even consider the drive it 'driving'. just getting from a to b and getting the dogdamn errand done as soon as possible.

GK did great for that purpose but i felt no enjoyment.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Just bought a 09 sport the only way one should, with a manual!!

Sister in law has a 09 sport with the auto, while it is nice for her, my wife insisted we get a manual and I totally and fully agreed.

We will ALWAYS have at least one manual equipped vehicle in our garage.

Not dead. Some brains are dying though in relation to the time spent on their screen while they should be driving...

Old 06-03-2017, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
sounds good. my new Golf-R is also manual.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:07 PM
I bought a Fit because of the manual transmission. Many of my friends questioned it. What about traffic jams? Won't you hate shifting thru slow traffic? No, I don't care. When you drive the stick every day shifting becomes a sixth sense. You do it without thinking.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by rav6262
I bought a Fit because of the manual transmission. Many of my friends questioned it. What about traffic jams? Won't you hate shifting thru slow traffic? No, I don't care. When you drive the stick every day shifting becomes a sixth sense. You do it without thinking.
So true, My last manual was 1990, took me a few days to get used to it again and now its almost second nature to me, more relaxed on hills as well. Was on a steep hill tonight and killed it once because an idiot stopped on my bumper and I didn't want to bump him, but I got it the second go....lol

Quick Reply: Is the M/T officially dead???