General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I think we have a kickass oem intake manifold swap finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:23 AM
I think we have a kickass oem intake manifold swap finally!!

2014 civic hybrid

2012 honda insight

09-13 GE fit

I am really considering buying the civic hybrid intake setup. Might take some wiring extensions (MAP likely)

we can dream right? looks like the Insight has an okay chance as well, especially since the Insight throttlebody gasket is same as ours.

I wonder what the 2015 intake manifold fitment might be like? by the way, the new intake manifold is where they got like 80% of the power increase!

Old 04-26-2014, 02:09 AM
I dont follow this....lol.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
It's hard to tell without testing, but it looks like the insight intake would be less restricted than the civic hybrid setup.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Okay, lets think n this. What are the pros and cons of the OEM Fit setup vs the others.

Questions:

Are you after more power or fuel economy here?

Would the Insight setup build any more power since that vehicle is about fuel economy.

Will the longer intake runners create a loss of low end torque?

Any idea on prices?

Will the EGR flow correctly? Take a look at the number of ports on Civic gasket #3 and Insight gasket #13. The Fit gasket #6 has only one hole on the right(passenger side since exploded view is shown from the front) and no ports above the 4 intake ports. What is the extra whole on right side for? What are the ones on the top for? Im not sure what extra hole on the right is for. Any ideas or first hand experience here? I think the ones on top may be coolant ports to heat the incoming air charge to lower emissions by helping warm the fuel so it will mix better and not pool up anywhere.

In the end I am hoping this is a golden find and may become a common swap. I just want to throw ideas out and see what we can come up with for answers before anybody takes the first icy plunge.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:00 PM
gthe civic hybrid "swap" would include that EGR manifold. to the cylinder head, they are identical minus the 4 small EGR port holes on the fit and insight.

Physically, I think all these are interchangable. flowwise and EGR function-wise, perhaps we neeed a few smashed up civic hybrids to figure this out!!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Not gonna work. And even if you made it work you would probably lose power considering both those hybrid manifolds are designed for a 1.3 liter engine that has an 8 valve cylinder head.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:59 PM
what about it says it will not work? the boltpattern is 100% identical

also, the civic being a 1.3 8valve doesnt necessarily mean the manifold is crap.

Ive looked at this for a lil bit now. I have not been able to find a local civic hybrid to snap some pics, but the overall size of the manifold is smaller, while runners look to match the insights, and both the fit and insight runners have enough material to be ported slightly bigger.

The biggest thing that is attracting me to this swap right now is the much shorter runners. I am worried, however, that that daang tube between plenum and throttlebody would destroy any increases from having shorter runners

I guess a good example of how an intake manifold can make a difference is looking at the B20 honda crv, and using an aftermarket manifold that is identical to a B16, but with the adjusted boltpattern. Those B20s saw roughly a 10% increase in power.

My goal from this manifold swap would be higher rpm power, and not caring about the small low rpm losses.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
what about it says it will not work? the boltpattern is 100% identical

also, the civic being a 1.3 8valve doesnt necessarily mean the manifold is crap.

Ive looked at this for a lil bit now. I have not been able to find a local civic hybrid to snap some pics, but the overall size of the manifold is smaller, while runners look to match the insights, and both the fit and insight runners have enough material to be ported slightly bigger.

The biggest thing that is attracting me to this swap right now is the much shorter runners. I am worried, however, that that daang tube between plenum and throttlebody would destroy any increases from having shorter runners

I guess a good example of how an intake manifold can make a difference is looking at the B20 honda crv, and using an aftermarket manifold that is identical to a B16, but with the adjusted boltpattern. Those B20s saw roughly a 10% increase in power.

My goal from this manifold swap would be higher rpm power, and not caring about the small low rpm losses.
Ill give it to you for having hopes and dreams of discovering something new but sorry, dont wanna piss on your parade but not gonna happen. First the runners are tiny compared to the Fits (if you seen them in person). Second the hybrid runners are plastic so theres no porting. Third, it dont matter if bolts "line up". EGR and coolant passages most likly dont. And than finally, dont even talk about the "B" series family. LOL... Apples, to, shit not even oranges, to potatoes LOL.
But dont take my word for it....just dont want to be the guy to say "told ya so".

Old 04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any flow numbers to see what cfm the head will flow? I really doubt the manifold is the restricting factor for power in the L series engine or else people would buy golden eagle's manifold and make power.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any flow numbers to see what cfm the head will flow? I really doubt the manifold is the restricting factor for power in the L series engine or else people would buy golden eagle's manifold and make power.
Considering the GE head has an integrated exhaust "manifold" , i doubt we will see any CFM charts or comparisons from any major innovators anytime soon.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho

aftermarket L15 manifolds have runners and plenums that are far too large.

The l15a7 would benefit greatly from chopping the runner length in half and slightly increasing the plenum size.

the WeaponR manifolds for the GD kill power until nearly redline. Also kills a lot of torque under the curve until, once again, revved high

Old 06-11-2014, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
ok while initially excited, if the maifold is pointed down rather than up, I can see that either not clearing the 90 degree coolant line or the radiator fan (ignoring relocating the coolant catch), but more importantly, I thought that was a plastic manifold in the 2014. I love the idea of shorter but if those are metal and clearly smaller ports, it looks like a loss rather than a gain.

Has anyone approached extrude hone about our stock metal runners? If we can't make them shorter, can we at least make them larger/better flowing?