General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

wheelchair accessible

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM
wheelchair accessible

Has anyone made their Fit into a wheelchair accessible vehicle? Have a motorized chair and would like to keep Fit. If yes, let me know how you did it!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:26 PM
I don't think it would be possible, but hopefully I'm wrong. Even though there is a lot of room in the interior, getting the motorized wheelchair in there would be the biggest challenge. A ramp could be constructed for the rear hatch, but the height of the wheelchair might be greater than the clearance for the hatch. A dozen years ago my sister had to duck when driving her wheelchair through the side door of a Dodge Grand Caravan to get it.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have any companies in your area that do wheelchair conversions? I do remember seeing a 2007 Scion XB (the Box) and that worked, altho it was a tight squeeze. Used back door with a ramp.

I work at the county hospital and see a lot of wheelchair vehicles, but all are vans. I'm sure you could get a non-motorized, foldable chair in the rear door of a Fit (with the seats up) with little problem. But motorized......

Let us know what you find out. This would be interesting.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm a paraplegic. I just transfer into my seat and break down my chair and load it into the passenger seat. I'll be making video of what i do daily to get in/out of cars as well as a lot here want to see my hand controls and how they function while allowing others to still drive it with their feet.

Now if you're in a power chair, there is a company that modifies the ELEMENT with a ramp.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm a paraplegic. I just transfer into my seat and break down my chair and load it into the passenger seat. I'll be making video of what i do daily to get in/out of cars as well as a lot here want to see my hand controls and how they function while allowing others to still drive it with their feet.

Now if you're in a power chair, there is a company that modifies the ELEMENT with a ramp.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Does it go in one of the side doors (or I guess both of the side doors on one side) or through the back end?

Old 06-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by DWils
Does it go in one of the side doors (or I guess both of the side doors on one side) or through the back end?
The side doors are powered and the ramp folds. Its a $20k modification. The company is in Michigan. They sell ones already done or you buy model/trim you like best, have it sent to the shop, and they'll transport back when done. I ended up buying cars because I learned how to transfer to cars in 3min. Saved me a lot of $. Mod vans/suv aren't cheap.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 AM
hi...I have a wheelchair accessible van which is converted by the Capital Special Vehicle company.There is a ramp to the left side of the van and i can fit my wheelchair inside the van very easily.i am using it for past 1 year and happy with my van.

Last edited by cooperwood; 01-30-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by cooperwood
hi...I have a wheelchair accessible van which is converted by the Capital Special Vehicle company.There is a ramp to the left side of the van and i can fit my wheelchair inside the van very easily.i am using it for past 1 year and happy with my van.
What's your injury level? I'm a C-7 incomplete. My function improved to the level of a T-10. I've never used a power chair. Even before I drove, I did manual transfers. A lot of the fit freak members have Pm me with the request of a video of the steps I do to get myself then break down my chair to then place all the pieces in the front seat and then the reverse. I'll be doing these videos in late winter.