General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Another one bites the dust.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
Another one bites the dust.

My daughter got off of work today and the Interstate home was backed up 3 lanes wide for at least 20 miles. So she took the back roads home. She made a left turn on a 4 lane highway and got hit in the right front end. It rolled the car over on the left side. She called me from inside the car while it was still laying on it's side. She could not get out and was in severe pain due to a broken collar bone.

Some other people stopped by to help and got her out of the rear hatch.

I took her to the hospital and she has 2 broken wrists, one broken finger, and a broken collar bone. He has several small cuts and one big swollen bruise the size of a softball on her right leg where the seat belt goes.

After several hours in the ER I took her home with casts on both arms and her arm in a sling. The ER doctor wrote her a letter for work saying she would be off work for 4 to 6 weeks. The car is a total I assume. I did not get to see it because they towed it away. By the time I got there it was locked inside a fence at the towing company and the towing company was closed. It was Sunday. It does no take much to total one of these. As my body shop friend says "the body shop industry considers those as throw away cars". All of the front and side air bags deployed. It was a 45 mph zone so we can assume the van that hit her was probably close to that speed.

I'll get pictures in the next couple of days. Right now I have to arrange for her to see an orthopedic doctor tomorrow, notify the insurance company, and a few other things.

After I look at it I'll assess if there are any good parts to recover and justify me buying the salvage back. So if anyone needs anything off of a 2009 FIT sport, PM me and I'll see if it is salvageable. The car had 66K miles on it. I have no idea what the insurance will pay her for it and what the salvage value might be.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Aw man, glad she is somewhat OK and hope for a speedy recovery. Not too bad vs. a van going 45 in a front end clip like that. Probably spun the car around like a top and it fell over.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear she made it out okay. Sorry to hear about what happened. Let us know the updates.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
I'm headed back to the yard this afternoon. I'll take some pictures to email to the insurance company and post copies here.

She says she wants another Fit so I'll start looking for one. There is no rush. She will not be driving for a few weeks unless she can figure out how to drive with only her feet. Even then if we do not have a replacement, she can use one of my Blazers. I've got one partially torn down to replace the intake manifold gasket. It is not an easy job but I'll be done with it in a few days.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear n9cv.

best wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks. Glad she's doing fine, and hopefully she'll recover soon.

45 mph is a fast crash to be honest! I'm glad it help up and kept her safe.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks. Glad she's doing fine, and hopefully she'll recover soon.

45 mph is a fast crash to be honest! I'm glad it help up and kept her safe.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
You've done a lot for your daughter.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I never made it to the tow yard today. My daughter was suppose to go to an orthopedic doctor today. The doctors staff refused to give her an appointment because it was a car accident. It was a doctor billing the insurance issue. After spending all morning trying to resolve that issue we gave up and I took her to my family doctor who have have know for many years.

He and two nurses spent 1.5 hours with her and more x-rays. Her collar bone is definitely broken and offset at the break about 3/4 inch. Doc says that was from the seat belt. He gave her an different type of upper back support to help relocate the broken bone and reduce the pain. She has three other broken bones and multiple bruises. One bruise as I said before is swollen to the size of 1/2 of a softball. Doc got her in to see an orthopedic doc near her home tomorrow.

So all of that killed the day for us. She is in a lot of pain from the broken bones and several bruises. Her arms and hands are bandaged so much (actually a temporary cast) that she can not pick up anything, so she can not feed herself. She can not even open the door of the house or the car or dress herself.

None of this is life threatening and she is a member of the walking wounded. So tomorrow I'll go back and shuttle her around some more to the orthopedic doc she was suppose to see today. .

End result is no pictures of the car yet. She lives 45 miles from here so I'm doing a lot of back and forth driving. I put on about 160 miles today with multiple Interstates being backed up for miles. Luckily after a couple of illegal u-turns I got off of them and ran the back roads. The doctor today said to estimate that she will be off work for 3 months and full healing may take 5 or 6 months .

Hopefully, I'll have more on the condition of the Fit by tomorrow evening I think.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Well, she is out of commission for at least 2 months. She has 6 broken bones and had surgery on all of them. She has casts on her arms, wrists, and fingers that will come off in about 2 months.

We found her a new Fit today. It is 2 years newer (2011) has 10,000 less miles and cost us $42 more than the insurance paid us for the total loss including the deductible. So for now it is parked for the next two months. The insurance company changed her a "parked" rate of slightly less than $5.00 per month ($57.00 per year) for the time it is in storage. That means parked in her driveway. So now she can look at it every day but not drive it.

Last edited by n9cv; 07-24-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Vehicles can be replaced. Glad to hear your daughter made it out with only a few battle wounds.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lance
Does the term the apple doesn't fall far from the tree come to mind? It does make me sad to hear the news but road safety is very important.
really, dude?

next time you pass on the right or jaywalk let's hope none of your loved ones get smacked by a bus.

op glad to hear she's recovering.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Glad to hear she's on the mend. A broken collarbone is in the top 3 most painful injuries I've ever had. Best wishes for feeling better soon.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wntrwhte
Glad to hear she's on the mend. A broken collarbone is in the top 3 most painful injuries I've ever had. Best wishes for feeling better soon.
Thanks for the good wishes. It appears the broken collar bone is the biggest on going pain even with the pain medication.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear, n9cv. best wishes for a quick recovery.

while your daughter's new car is parked, (you might already know this) you will want
to keep a battery manager on the battery, and over inflate the tires to 42psi to
prevent flat spotting.

i do this on my hobby cars in the winter months while in hibernation.
actually, i place my cars on flatstoppers by raceramps since the tires
on the cars are $300 each.

if the car has access to an outlet, use a product called "battery tender jr"..
you can buy it from amazon. since the car is outside you will probably
want the alarm system to be active (dont remove the battery from the car).

GL!!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sorry to hear, n9cv. best wishes for a quick recovery.

while your daughter's new car is parked, (you might already know this) you will want
to keep a battery manager on the battery, and over inflate the tires to 42psi to
prevent flat spotting.

i do this on my hobby cars in the winter months while in hibernation.
actually, i place my cars on flatstoppers by raceramps since the tires
on the cars are $300 each.

if the car has access to an outlet, use a product called "battery tender jr"..
you can buy it from amazon. since the car is outside you will probably
want the alarm system to be active (dont remove the battery from the car).

GL!!
I have bunches of battery tenders around here. She has one at her place also. I think I'll take your suggestion, install it, and air up the tires. Car and wheel theft is not a problem around here. We normally leave the keys in the cars so we do not have to look for them when we go somewhere. I took the keys out of her's. The car is also parked next to the house in a paved driveway. There is a motion detector light on the house next door that fully lights up the driveway. We should be OK there.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Daughters accident.I wish her a speedy recovery and will keep you both in my prayers.

I hope you can get the Fit all fixed up or get a new one for your daughter.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Sorry about the accident and your daughter's injuries, wishing her a speedy continued recovery.

It's lucky that she has a guy like you.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear everything is okay. A few questions here from a legal standpoint, were any charges laid against the other driver? Any thoughts on suing for damages as your daughter is off work for 4-6 weeks. Not sure how it works in the US, but I would be suing.

Also, that car is yours. I personally feel that you should be allowed to take anything from it after the accident.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Man I am glad she is OK! I cant imagine taking a phone call like the one you did that day! My heart would have stopped!!! Wishing for a speedy pain free recovery!

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust.