General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

aftermarket "falling out"?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 PM
aftermarket "falling out"?

Hey guys. I just bought my 08 GD3 about 4 months ago. So far i love it but something bothers me. Its seems like all the aftermarket support. And the boom of fit tunning ended around 2009 and most parts (such as turbo and s/c) setups are discontinued. Im 21 years old and can now afford a slightly higher mileage used fit.
Will a younger crowd buying used fits eventually jump start the market at all or is it flat out dying? Just want to get everyones thoughts on this thanks.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I think the fit crowd will have a unique following much like the civic wagon group in the future. k swaps and turbo kits will be pieced together since most the support has stopped production.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
It seems for GD3s parts are becoming more and more scarce by the day. Performance goodies like T1R's Response Header, forced induction kits as you already know, some chassis stiffening goods and POSSIBLY the Progress rear anti-roll bar is either out of production or made to order. You can still find some of those goods used if you know were to look or know who ask.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
I think the fit crowd will have a unique following much like the civic wagon group in the future. k swaps and turbo kits will be pieced together since most the support has stopped production.
Agreed! I personally am piecing together the Kraftwerks high boost S/C kit and planning on running it on my A/T Sport. Just need a couple of small/simple things, install and tune the thing.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Yea kinda what i was afraid of. im still hopeing to get some of those goodies in the future. so rite now Megan racing is kinda my friend for exhaust/header/springs. even though ik other make springs. i wasnt planning on the rear sway bar yet but im worried it will be gone soon enough. Also i really dont want to build a turbo for this car. if it was still my old 99 civic couple i wouldnt care but this is the nicest care ive owned (less than 100k miles) and i dont want to tear it down and ef it up. hopefully there is a little bit of sustain as they get older and hopefully a more teenage and bolt on happy crowd gets them? I suddenly feel like i own an accord lol
other than the skunk 2 adapter kit... what is left for short shifter products?
Thanks for the quick replys guys

Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure but H-Fit may still have their short throw shift kit with hard mount bushings if its still in production. If not look around for Buddy Club or Mugen models... I'm not sure if member "wdb" has sold theirs yet. You'd also be surprised what a difference that an intake, header with at least a catback exhaust, and Hondata Flash Pro could do to these little engines.

I'm skeptical about the teenage/early college kid crowd getting their hands on a GD3... Compared to the GE and the new GK, they're WAY rarer now and to me they're also the closest someone can get to an "old school late '90's/'00's Honda feel" with fairly recent modern conveniences and being SIMPLE to service. In addition to that, I understand that everyone has their own personal preferences and will mod their cars to their liking... BUT to just carelessly (or sometimes recklessly) modify without doing research or plotting what needs to be done to build the car RIGHT (even if on a tight budget) is what urks me with the younger crowd. Usually this due to poor installation from lack of knowledge/experience or just don't care what they do to the vehicle so long as they can get *insert part* on and drive.

For example: A clear case of good idea/attempt but poor execution... I've had a guy in my college autoshop classes that had an EM2 Civic Coupe that was into the stanced/slammed scene who wanted me to align his car. It had D2 coilovers with either a D2 or BlackWorks Racing rear camber kit but otherwise had a decent suspension setup for most situations... Of course, the collars were almost to the very bottom of the adjustment sleeves with just enough room to get your hands in wheel well to lock them in place... I began the alignment and noticed right away EVERYTHING WAS OUT of spec... So I adjust that as best as I could starting with the rear of the car. After I moved up front, I began to adjust camber... I accidentally bumped the pass. front wheel and seen the top of the strut move from 0 camber to -2.0 degrees in the camber plate's scale. Turns out the dude DIDN'T TIGHTEN the lock bolts for the camber plates, bolts for the struts, rear camber kit or anything (don't remember if he tightened the collars, I quit giving a damn by then since it was late) so I tightened what I could, aligned the car, told him to double check ALL of his hardware when he gets home and shipped it.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Wooooow. Yea ive seen some wacky things on used cars ive bought. Buy I will always try and make things as safe as possible if i have to micky mouse something. Such as a ram air held up by a zip tie but thats not a real issue imo. Im not into stance myself. I need some rims and lowering springs next year. But this winter i would like to add a header. Havnt looked into hondata much yet. Can i expect anythig from it? (Feel more from bolts ons) im not expecting 10hp from a glash tune thats unrealistic.

Its amazing the stupid junk idiots due to their cars. I stay away from the "i know stuff about cars, diesels have spark plugs rite?" Kind of crew. Talked to someone who is a "knows all about cars guy"and asked him what a turbo does.... his only answer was it makes a car go faster..... end rant lol

Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by viperpit07
Havnt looked into hondata much yet. Can i expect anythig from it? (Feel more from bolts ons) im not expecting 10hp from a glash tune thats unrealistic.
Yes. I have a cold air intake and a complete header-back exhaust system tuned with the FlashPro and i makes a world of difference. I also have a few suspension modifications which also help in me preferring to drive the 2007 Fit over my 2012 Civic Si. The poor little Si just sits in my garage and looks pretty next to my motorcycle. FlashPro will be the best $600USD investment you will make for your Fit.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
Yes. I have a cold air intake and a complete header-back exhaust system tuned with the FlashPro and i makes a world of difference. I also have a few suspension modifications which also help in me preferring to drive the 2007 Fit over my 2012 Civic Si. The poor little Si just sits in my garage and looks pretty next to my motorcycle. FlashPro will be the best $600USD investment you will make for your Fit.

How is that? You have before/after dyno numbers or before/after 1/4 mile times? I read the group buy thread and the Hondata/Flashpro site and am not seeing anything. I'm new to Hondas!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Yes. I have a cold air intake and a complete header-back exhaust system tuned with the FlashPro and i makes a world of difference. I also have a few suspension modifications which also help in me preferring to drive the 2007 Fit over my 2012 Civic Si. The poor little Si just sits in my garage and looks pretty next to my motorcycle.
FlashPro will be the best $600USD investment you will make for your Fit.
you dont happen to have the megan downpipe do you?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
How is that? You have before/after dyno numbers or before/after 1/4 mile times? I read the group buy thread and the Hondata/Flashpro site and am not seeing anything. I'm new to Hondas!
FlashPro is awesome! That's how! And it is pretty much the only tuner available for us. I don't have any before dyno numbers, but general consensus is stock Fit puts out about 85-87hp. After everything I'm putting out about 117hp? My dyno sheet is in one of the "Post your dyno sheet" threads somewhere. Vittuned.com is where I got it tuned. I don't have any 1/4 mile times, but I'll go back to how I previously said that I like the Fit over the Si because of how much better it is.

Edit: signature is only visible when I post from the desktop version and I'm on the mobile version now.

Last edited by DWils; 07-10-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 PM
you dont happen to have the megan downpipe do you?
I do. And the b-pipe. All my mods are listed in my signature (if you can see it) and also in the "$2000+ mod club" thread. I have the catless downpipe, but shhh!!! Don't tell the EPA or my county's air quality control people.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 PM
I do. And the b-pipe. All my mods are listed in my signature (if you can see it) and also in the "$2000+ mod club" thread. I have the catless downpipe, but shhh!!! Don't tell the EPA or my county's air quality control people.
Ok sounds good lol ive got the megan axle back rite now and im thinking im gonna do their full exhaust. And was wondering if the down pipe. And eventually the b pipe. Are worth the money or not?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Ok sounds good lol ive got the megan axle back rite now and im thinking im gonna do their full exhaust. And was wondering if the down pipe. And eventually the b pipe. Are worth the money or not?
Sure, why not?! I really don't know how much extra power each part produces, I just knew that I wanted to rip all the stock stuff out and replace it. I'd say just buy it because who knows when stuff will not be available for our cars anymore.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
just my 2 cents. initially when I got the car (2009 original owner) I was quite excited about entering the honda world and having a car that had aftermarket support abounds..... ya, not exactly like the civic or whatever. Given the number of cars sold, it is incredibly disheartening the poor aftermarket support.

Let me start down my road of being hopeful:
Its a honda! people will make stuff for it, its just too new at the moment!
Formula Ford announced allowing the motor rather than the ancient ford kent motor. OMG, crazy engine options are going to appear.
OK, its the 3 year mark, at this point people aren't leasing and owners will be driving demand for fun options.
OK, its SIX years now, these people are going to have their cars paid off and yearning for the goods!!!

This isn't my first rodeo and while I always ride the hope, I know better. The best engineered quality parts are the ones that come out almost immediately with the car and are wildly expensive and maybe available the first 2 years, maybe a few people bit but down the road, they become the mythical unicorn. the 2-4 year mark, you got some pretty cool mid-tier offerings, and down the road you see them pop-up for resale infrequently. 6 years down the road, you see some niche homebrew offerings that if your an engineer, you're probably going to question, but hey what options do you really have. Past that, your hoping that a bigger company decides to supersede that niche because of demand and OEM shortage and overall sales figures. That is usually a pipe-dream.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
*FAIR WARNING* I'm tired and brain dead from work, so this may be a semi-ramble.

I can't say it will be 100% noticeable BUT in my case I did feel a (good) difference in performance once I installed my MR downpipe/test pipe. Mind you, I did also install T1R's Response header at the same time and was previously running a Spoon catback. Lost a little low end torque but after 3k and onward things get quite nice.

If you were to run this, I'd recommend doing the axle back and mid/b-pipe first THEN do the down/test pipe for exhaust velocity reasons.

Sure you could run the stock header to the MR down pipe (60mm diameter...I believe) and run the stock catback (at 50mm, I believe) but velocity wise it wouldn't be as efficient as running stock header and cat with say an 60mm Invidia or Skunk 2 catback, Megan Mid/B-pipe and HFP axle back (or whatever exhaust combo). The reason being,, you would effectively be creating a bottle neck effect once the exhaust gases leave the larger diameter pipe and enter into the smaller diameter... which would be a restriction point in your exhaust.

If you were to free up your exhaust starting from the axle back and moving forward (using matching diameter components) with the mid pipe, test pipe and ultimately the header then you wouldn't have that bottle neck effect with your exhaust and would more efficiently improve exhaust flow as well as possibly improve the exhaust scavenging effect (when the exhaust flow creates a back pressure that has a "vacuum" like effect which aids in the removal of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber for the following exhaust pulses) depending on the setup ran.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
just my 2 cents. initially when I got the car (2009 original owner) I was quite excited about entering the honda world and having a car that had aftermarket support abounds..... ya, not exactly like the civic or whatever. Given the number of cars sold, it is incredibly disheartening the poor aftermarket support.

Let me start down my road of being hopeful:
Its a honda! people will make stuff for it, its just too new at the moment!
Formula Ford announced allowing the motor rather than the ancient ford kent motor. OMG, crazy engine options are going to appear.
OK, its the 3 year mark, at this point people aren't leasing and owners will be driving demand for fun options.
OK, its SIX years now, these people are going to have their cars paid off and yearning for the goods!!!

This isn't my first rodeo and while I always ride the hope, I know better. The best engineered quality parts are the ones that come out almost immediately with the car and are wildly expensive and maybe available the first 2 years, maybe a few people bit but down the road, they become the mythical unicorn. the 2-4 year mark, you got some pretty cool mid-tier offerings, and down the road you see them pop-up for resale infrequently. 6 years down the road, you see some niche homebrew offerings that if your an engineer, you're probably going to question, but hey what options do you really have. Past that, your hoping that a bigger company decides to supersede that niche because of demand and OEM shortage and overall sales figures. That is usually a pipe-dream.
Can you guys tell me what you mean by poor aftermarket support?

You have suspension, aero, engine, etc., mods easily available. What more can you ask for?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Sure you could run the stock header to the MR down pipe (60mm diameter...I believe) and run the stock catback (at 50mm, I believe) but velocity wise it wouldn't be as efficient as running stock header and cat with say an 60mm Invidia or Skunk 2 catback, Megan Mid/B-pipe and HFP axle back (or whatever exhaust combo). The reason being,, you would effectively be creating a bottle neck effect once the exhaust gases leave the larger diameter pipe and enter into the smaller diameter... which would be a restriction point in your exhaust.
Interesting read! I did not realize these exhausts went from 2.4" down to 2" in diameter. The two 90 degree 'S' bends after the cat (On the B pipe) don't help too much either as far as exhaust velocity goes. At least a 2.5" back should work great.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-11-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Can you guys tell me what you mean by poor aftermarket support?

You have suspension, aero, engine, etc., mods easily available. What more can you ask for?
ummm, for the GE, any form of engine tuning/management. I mean that would be the start. Sure there are a lot of springs and coilovers but not much supporting chassie improvements. Its a pretty arid aftermarket for a car that sold in this volume.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
ummm, for the GE, any form of engine tuning/management. I mean that would be the start. Sure there are a lot of springs and coilovers but not much supporting chassie improvements. Its a pretty arid aftermarket for a car that sold in this volume.
How much more do you want? Its a strut/beam suspension, you can't have cool control arms and fancy pieces if.....you don't have those in the first place.

The thing GE dudes have never understood is that companies have to consider the profitability of such ventures. Hondata made Flashpro for the GD, which is generally considered a slightly better driver's car than the GE; yet very few people have bought it.

Why spend more time and money developing a FlashPro for the GE when the cycle will likely repeat itself?

BTW, unless you're a nationally competitive AutoX'er or similar driver, you probably can't even get the most out of a standard Fit with AD08's or the like. This is not a dig on anyone in particular, its just a fact; Cars > Drivers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aftermarket "falling out"?