General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Can you steal a Honda Fit using the metal key ?

Old 07-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Can you steal a Honda Fit using the metal key ?

This may seem perverse but:

I recently lost my key ring that had both my apartment key and my Honda Fit key -- at least part of it. Turns out the electronic key (outer) I'd taken off and left in the car for the benefit of the parking attendant.

So now I am wondering: given that someone might find my key (which has my apartment name on it) and would have all they need to get to my car, could they conceivably steal my car with just the metal key, despite not having the remote transmitter?

Thanks

Old 07-19-2014, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 13 Fit Base and I can open and lock the car with just the metal key, not using the transmitter.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
This is what they have? If not, please find me a picture of what they have or a picture of what you still have because I can't figure it out from your description.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:35 PM
this is what I have

As you can see I still have both transmitters but not the one metal key

Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Ah ok, wasn't aware that you had the push start. I don't know for certain since I haven't taken the smart key apart before, but I'm going to guess that the immobilizer, which gives the car ability to actually start the car is in the lock/unlock transmitter.

You can easily and quickly test this yourself. leave the lock/unlock transmitters inside your house or somewhere like 5 steps away from your car, and see how far you can get with just the metal key portion. My guess is that you'll only be able to open the doors. Be sure to put the metal key right up to the push start button before you try to push it (cuz I think that's what you do if your remote has ran out of batteries)

or check the owner's manual, it might explain where the immobilizer chip is or what the purpose of the metal key is, for example, it might say the metal key is only used in cases where your remote has ran out of batteries and you need it to open the door, then it'll go on and explain how to start even with a low battery.

If all that is too difficult, call a dealership and see what they say. You'll probably need a price quote on a new metal key anyways. I'm looking at prices of new keys now, and they aren't that expensive. It gets expensive if you lose the unlock/lock transmitter portion.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm. Not 100% sure what would happen but try starting your Fit with the JUST the metal key blade inside the vehicle and see what happens...

If it starts, then the immobilizer chip is in the plastic/chrome section of the key and you'll need to have the lost key deleted from your key-less entry when you have it replaced. If it doesn't start, then the immobilizer chip is inside of the fob itself.